Sponsored by:

Door ding avoidance for those daily drivers

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 03:12 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just get a beater. it's cheaper.

i worry about scrapes and bumps rather than dings. dings are pretty cheap to get fixed and no repaint either.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:33 AM
Queram
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The B
LOL, I wish I had this problem, however, I have been liberated...every panel has at least one rock chip, and a repainted rear fender due to severe door ding. I'm over it. Go ahead, get a good door ding so you can just focus on driving the car.
It just feels good to be liberated isn't it Thank god I do not have any door dings but the front of my car is like a mine field and my car is black. Mostly small rock chips but when the car is waxed, it becomes very obvious that the car has been driven on highway at fast speeds.

My virginity is gone while travelling at around 130 mph when I passed a truck that carries purplish cement like something which was leaking out of the truck. Let me tell you it felt like I run through a wall of acupuncture needles. It took me a great deal get the thing cleaned off the car while leaving some chirp damage. Somehow it does not bother me. It just shows that the car is driven the way it is built for. My C4S is a daily driver and it often turns brownish because of the season.

Back on the subject, in my previous cars I used to park far away from other cars but lately I am convinced that this is causin more attention to the car and attracts vandalism. Any how it is not very wise for me to stand out with the car given the situation here. Now I park where everybody parks, I try to choose enthusiast cars > luxury cars > beater, family cars etc... My priority is to choose the spots close to the walls to at least decrease the chance of a damage on one side If it is paid parking, I tip the attendant a little over the cost but not much.

At the end it comes to luck and faith. If it is going to happen, it will happen. There is no way of preventing it. I am 28 and I am done with overprotecting. I do not know if this is a law of nature but whenever I overprotect, there will always be an incident whether it is a bird poop, an uncareful driver or passenger or something else (you can push the limits of your imagination here). Th last car I sold was in immaculate condition and I guess I sold it for at most 2000 euros more than the joe who does not care. I have left with more grey hair and weaker nerve system.

I do love my cars and I do care about them. I always drive aggresicely but with proper care. Interior is always tidy and clean so is exterior other than the rock chips that I cannot control. With this car I decided to enjoy it rather than get stressed over it.

Last edited by Queram; 01-05-2007 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:01 AM
axel6
Advanced

The only times that I have gotten bad dings/vandalism has been when I parked AWAY from the rest of the cars in the lot. I now like to find spots next to everyone else. Not standing out is better, IMO.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:19 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

My parking rules are pretty simple:
  • Park Well, as close to the middle of the space as you can. Unless there's nothing to your right, then it's ok to edge over a little.
  • Never take up two (or more!) spaces. People who do deserve what they get.
  • Park next to a "nice" car or a 4-door (they have smaller doors). If possible park to the right of other cars.
  • Never park next to a pickup.
  • Never park out in the boondocks. It attracts idiots on powertrips who want to damage things others obviously care about.
  • Never valet park, except at very upscale restaurants.

Has worked for my Bimmer and my Boxster for a long time. ...and now I've just jinxed myself. One sec, I gotta go check the parking lot...
Old 01-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I do all I can to find a spot where someone can only park on one side of me. That cuts the chances of dings in half. Then I park as far to the non-car side of that spot as possible. In parking garages I always avoid parking on a slope where the car above me is positioned so that it's driver's door opens down-slope towards my car. There are some parking lots (mostly at certain restaurants) where I just won't take my Porsche if I can avoid it because I know there is never a good parking place. I don't care if people think I'm neurotic about it.
This is EXACTLY how I am with my cars!!! My family and friends have come to expect and understand this behavior, and I can relax while doing whatever I am doing.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:04 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually take the time to wrap my entire car in bubble wrap after finding the farthest, most inconvenient parking space in a lot.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:10 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
My parking rules are pretty simple:
  • Park Well, as close to the middle of the space as you can. Unless there's nothing to your right, then it's ok to edge over a little.
  • Never take up two (or more!) spaces. People who do deserve what they get.
  • Park next to a "nice" car or a 4-door (they have smaller doors). If possible park to the right of other cars.
  • Never park next to a pickup.
  • Never park out in the boondocks. It attracts idiots on powertrips who want to damage things others obviously care about.
  • Never valet park, except at very upscale restaurants.

Has worked for my Bimmer and my Boxster for a long time. ...and now I've just jinxed myself. One sec, I gotta go check the parking lot...
I have to disagree with parking next to the 4-door. The upper portion of the rear door will kill your Pcar and guess who usually sits in the rear, young children or old people who usually just push the door WIDE open to exist.

Also, stay away from car with carseat in there.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:13 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Dang, I forgot about that!
Old 01-05-2007, 03:33 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I have to disagree with parking next to the 4-door. The upper portion of the rear door will kill your Pcar and guess who usually sits in the rear, young children or old people who usually just push the door WIDE open to exist.

That's true, but the doors on a coupe are far bigger and heavier, and when they swing wide open, they can really do a lot of damage. The only problem I had with door dings is when I took my son to the orthodonist. Most of the patients were children, and they couldn't care less when they opened car doors. I quickly learned to park in remote areas to save my doors.

Actually in my area the problem with door dings has gone down dramatically since almost every mall has significantly widened each parking spot to allow for the car doors to open.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:38 PM
The B
Racer

My rear fender was mauled by a rear door of an SUV, (the edge of the door that goes over the wheel well). It opened wide and creased the top of the beautiful 911 curve you see in Queram's Avitar.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:18 PM
chbj
Advanced

Originally Posted by boolala
I'll park anywhere it's convenient. Even next to a loose shopping cart.

Really.

Ditto
Old 01-05-2007, 08:46 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 997S($105K +$9K aftermarket) as a daily driver. I have 16,500 miles in 1.33 years. I resolved before ever getting the car that damage by others and my own negligence or wear by daily use will happen and need to be repaired. It is not a religious ornament, I bought it to drive it and have fun.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:55 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I usually take the time to wrap my entire car in bubble wrap after finding the farthest, most inconvenient parking space in a lot.

Though I'm pretty careful about parking, with the exception of a few places where I know I can't find a good spot, I take the car everywhere. It is my daily driver. Crap can happen, it's a fact of life, but you can't fear crap to the point that you stop living (or driving)

For those who worry about what to park next to, remember that the nice SL600 you park next to may be gone, and an SUV full of grade school kids may take it's place before your return.

Quick Reply: Door ding avoidance for those daily drivers