Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you park it differently/specially?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 01:45 AM
sabatal
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do you park it differently/specially?

For you folks that use your car as a daily driver... when out and about (work, supermarket, etc.), do you park in the most convenient spot (meaning easiest to get your destination) or do you park in a "safe" spot (i.e. as far away from other cars as possible, definitely not next to a beater etc.)...

I'm on the verge of buying a 997 and would probably insist on parking it "specially" i.e. the far away, sparsely populated spots... It pains me to think of a ~100K car having dings all over it. My wife, on the other hand, would just park it anywhere... Prolly means she won't get to drive it much
Old 05-22-2006, 01:51 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

not all beater owners are door ding gnomes.
i'm extra careful, and am more likely to be careful when there's a luxury car next to me.
if anything, he's more likely to ding me because my car is nothing special.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:55 AM
sabatal
AutoX

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
not all beater owners are door ding gnomes.
i'm extra careful, and am more likely to be careful when there's a luxury car next to me.
if anything, he's more likely to ding me because my car is nothing special.
Good point. Didn't mean to imply that beater owners are necessarily dingers. Still, even when I park my current car I'll look twice before parking next to car that's had a fender bender or two...
Old 05-22-2006, 02:01 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sabatal
Good point. Didn't mean to imply that beater owners are necessarily dingers. Still, even when I park my current car I'll look twice before parking next to car that's had a fender bender or two...
heh my car has some strange dents, and the front bumper has a huge dent - simply because it's not worth fixing.
although I can unerstand.
The safest place to park is next to some bushes on the end of a row, or a wall, or whatever.
if you take two spots someone will just straddle two spots too.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:06 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just park it anywhere. I don't trash my cars but why go through all that trouble? Driving the car will evitably bring paint nicks from flying rock etc. Look into the radiator vanes in the front air dam. Plenty of nicks from debris from the road. I use to baby the cars when I was younger but I'm over that now. That said, I have my groceries delivered and work from home. Once I can't bare the nicks and dings, I get my body guy to fix it. I personally think if the car is spotless, it's not being driven enough.
I won't get into the wife debate thing since all my cars are available to my wife for driving.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:24 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I guess I'm pretty **** about it. At work, I not only pay extra but jumped through many hoops to get a reserved space under my 41 story building where nobody can park next to me. Out and about, I will park a block away from my destination if necessary to stay away from door dings, etc., and will even spend an extra 5-10 minutes driving around looking for the "perfect" space.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:26 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I just stay away from any sedan with an infant/car seat.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:24 AM
dgwhitten
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a beater, 96 Pathfinder, that I try to make myself drive for trips to Costco, Home Depot, etc. Drive the beater maybe twice a week to work, where I have designated spot that is safe from the trials and tribulations (it helps to be CEO, most of the time). When using Pcar around town, I am reasonably cautious about where I put her. No valets, look for the end spot, will walk (which is good for my aging and no longer lean body). Figure I spent a lot of time effort to be able to buy the car, why not spend a little taking care of it.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:53 AM
USCHANDPOD
Racer

My parking rules:

1. Avoid any overhead structure (lamps etc.) that a bird might park itself on.

2. Try to park at the end of a row so that no car is on your immediate right (most cars usually contain drivers only and this way the car on your left is unlikely to ever open its passenger door)

3. I think back to when I lived in NYC and Boston. I used to walk everywhere. Soooo. here in L.A. where no one walks more than 30 seconds (they'd rather drive 10 minutes to get the closest spots) I park far away (while sticking to rules 1 and 2) and walk the extra distance so no one is near me.

4. Always park near p-cars that look well taken care of.

5. Try to avoid cement parking blocks in front of me.

6. In parking structures never park on the corner where people turn because that is where you will most likely get hit.

7. I use my parking light to illuminate the side of the car I am most worried about if I am stuck with no choices (i.e. Pre-school parking lot)

Good luck out there!
Old 05-22-2006, 11:15 AM
MMD
Banned

Parking Rule Number One of Fifty: If the parking lot is sloped always park up hill from the driver's door of the other car.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This was covered earlier. Do a search on parking.

dan
Old 05-22-2006, 01:38 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I am careful where I park regardless of the car that I am driving. I look for end stalls, wider ones, next to luxury cars, etc. (I never take up two spaces.)

There is nothing worse than a ding caused by a careless or accidental parking neighbor.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:48 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by USCHANDPOD
My parking rules:

1. Avoid any overhead structure (lamps etc.) that a bird might park itself on.

2. Try to park at the end of a row so that no car is on your immediate right (most cars usually contain drivers only and this way the car on your left is unlikely to ever open its passenger door)

3. I think back to when I lived in NYC and Boston. I used to walk everywhere. Soooo. here in L.A. where no one walks more than 30 seconds (they'd rather drive 10 minutes to get the closest spots) I park far away (while sticking to rules 1 and 2) and walk the extra distance so no one is near me.

4. Always park near p-cars that look well taken care of.

5. Try to avoid cement parking blocks in front of me.

6. In parking structures never park on the corner where people turn because that is where you will most likely get hit.

7. I use my parking light to illuminate the side of the car I am most worried about if I am stuck with no choices (i.e. Pre-school parking lot)

Good luck out there!
totally with you man! also i make a mental note of the mke/model and license nimber of a car next to me if i'm at all suspicious.

i hate door dings. the advice about the baby seat is good too. I check if the minivan has openers or sliders. i try never to park next to an opener.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:37 PM
drbf
Pro

I park far away from everyone and sure enough the lot can be empty
and someone will park next to me.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:18 PM
boolala
Race Car

it's funny but my cousin asked me just this question today as he was driving my car into a mall. My answer was that if I obssessed about things like that I just wouldn't drop 90 K on a car. It would spoil my enjoument of the thing.

Quick Reply: Do you park it differently/specially?