Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skid Plate/Pads for 997S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Looking at Dan's photo if I were to fab one of these I'd make it a 3 piece part. In that way if one section gets damaged it would be easier to repair. Sheeting is available in 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8".

I'll try to jack the car up and take a look at making a template.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Quozl
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apologies in dragging up an old thread but does anyone know where I can source one of these skid pads? Looking for something to protect the underside of the front bumper on my wife's 997 Carerra S.

Cheers Al
Old 12-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Something to think about..... back in my Boxster driving days around 2002, the Boomerang was very popular and like others, bolted to the bumper.

However, two guys, as I remember tore their bumpers and required bumper replacements when they parked their front ends over parking barriers. When they backed up, the unit catches and then tears away the bumper.... pretty evil. I was going to buy one until these posts popped up.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

However, two guys, as I remember tore their bumpers and required bumper replacements when they parked their front ends over parking barriers. When they backed up, the unit catches and then tears away the bumper.... pretty evil. I was going to buy one until these posts popped up.
The solution might be as simple as grinding a bevel on the trailing edge. That would allow the pad to ride up and over the barrier.

A few weeks ago I drove the GTS to Long Island to do a seat swap. One of the bridge ramps had a really steep approach angle. I thought I had broken the front splitter when the car bottomed. That got me thinking about getting something done on my car.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

I didn't know anyone made these or had them available. I put a Cargraphic AirLift on my car, but for my wife's, I made one using a large sheet of clear plexiglas/lexan that I bought from Lowes. I fitted it while doing the installation of her Vorsteiner front bumper while the bumper was off the car.

The Lexan was great becuase it's clear so I just flipped her bumper over, put the sheet on top and then used a marker to draw on the semi-clear protective plastic that's adhered to the new lexan to keep it from gettng scratched. Once I had it drawn out, I used a fine tooth jigsaw to cut it out. I made it so it follows the curve of the front bumper almost to where it becomes straight heading toward the front wheels so even when she tries to gently angle her way up a slope, if it touches, it's still on the lexan plate.

I attached it with tapered stainless screws and finishing washers, and because they are slightly higher than the lexan surface, they sometimes take the scrape instead of the lexan sheet itself, but with it, her actual bumper is still pristine. If a screw gets badly damaged/scraped, I just replace it, but if the lexan sheet gets scraped up enough, I'll just use it as a template and make her another one, but it's been on there for about 18 months and is holding up fine.

Need to put her car up on the lift this weekend - I'll try to remember to grab a picture.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:10 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I didn't know anyone made these or had them available. I put a Cargraphic AirLift on my car, but for my wife's, I made one using a large sheet of clear plexiglas/lexan that I bought from Lowes. I fitted it while doing the installation of her Vorsteiner front bumper while the bumper was off the car.

The Lexan was great becuase it's clear so I just flipped her bumper over, put the sheet on top and then used a marker to draw on the semi-clear protective plastic that's adhered to the new lexan to keep it from gettng scratched. Once I had it drawn out, I used a fine tooth jigsaw to cut it out. I made it so it follows the curve of the front bumper almost to where it becomes straight heading toward the front wheels so even when she tries to gently angle her way up a slope, if it touches, it's still on the lexan plate.

I attached it with tapered stainless screws and finishing washers, and because they are slightly higher than the lexan surface, they sometimes take the scrape instead of the lexan sheet itself, but with it, her actual bumper is still pristine. If a screw gets badly damaged/scraped, I just replace it, but if the lexan sheet gets scraped up enough, I'll just use it as a template and make her another one, but it's been on there for about 18 months and is holding up fine.

Need to put her car up on the lift this weekend - I'll try to remember to grab a picture.
would like to see that as well...
Old 12-23-2017, 02:08 PM
Jmorski
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought I would bump this old thread ad see if there were any options out there. My 997 is lowered slightly and scrapes on inclines, looking for a solution.

Quick Reply: Skid Plate/Pads for 997S?