Sponsored by:

Locking Beep

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 10:14 AM
eric997florida
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking Beep

I had a loaner Cayenne during my recent Carerra 7500mile service. It had an audible beep when you locked the doors - why don't the 911's do this? I don't have sport chrono so maybe I just don't have that feature??? Thoughts?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:45 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

You want beep, buy the RemoteKey!!
only beep you get now is if door or window left open!!
Old 10-07-2006, 12:25 PM
AudiologisTT
Instructor

997remotekey group buy going on now! you'll save lots of $$$
Old 10-08-2006, 04:35 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Could we just answer his question instead of pointing him to an alternative? CAN the 911 be programmed to beep WITHOUT the RemoteKey?
Old 10-08-2006, 05:14 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Not that I know of!!
Old 10-08-2006, 08:19 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Could we just answer his question instead of pointing him to an alternative? CAN the 911 be programmed to beep WITHOUT the RemoteKey?
Nothing in the Ower's Manual would indicate you can do this - it would be a nice feature though.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Talked to my service manager about this and he said no this can not be programmed to do. He said this is one of the biggest complaints they get that they talk to Porsceh about every year...Porsche does not listen.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:46 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You don't need a bleeping beep if you lock the doors immediately after closing them.

The clapping sound of the locking mechanisms is audible enough for most ears within a few feet of the car, and is what I rely on after I close my door. On my Mini the locking sound is much louder, presumably because the doors are not as thick -- no bleeping beeps from Mini either!

I make it a habit to lock immediately after closing the door and not do as some do which is to take a few steps away and then point the key back toward the car to lock it. But if you happen to forget to lock it and then turn around to do so, just rely on the visual signals provided by Porsche, and the mnemonic to remember which is which that fellow Rennlister, AeroSmith, came up with:

Two quick flashes mean "Bye, Bye".
One quick flash means "Hi".
Old 10-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

While the "flashes" are better than nothing as you walk away from the car, they are so "delayed" after you actually lock the car I find myself standing and waiting for them.
I agree with OCBen; just lock it as soon as you close your door, while you're standing there to "hear" the locks engage.
Why Porsche won't make a "locking beep" a driver-selectable function, especially in light of how many want one, is confusing. It's not like it's expensive or difficult to implement for them.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:11 AM
rfdjr58
Intermediate

This wouldn't be as big of an issue if the Porsche remote had separate lock, and unlock buttons. On most cars, if you can't remember, just hit the lock button again. This doesn't work on the Porsche, since you will be alternately locking and unlocking the car. Not a huge issue, just an unecessary annoyance -- in the same category as no Bluetooth and no satellite radio option.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:03 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by rfdjr58
This wouldn't be as big of an issue if the Porsche remote had separate lock, and unlock buttons.
That's the key right there for Porsche to eliminate this issue without having to incorporate a sissy beep.

On the Minis, the center button (which is the encircled Mini part of the logo) is the lock button. The button closest to the key shank is the unlock button, and the button on the opposite end is the open hatch button.

You're right, when in doubt, hit the lock button again. Can't do that with an alternating lock/unlock.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:45 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rfdjr58
This wouldn't be as big of an issue if the Porsche remote had separate lock, and unlock buttons. On most cars, if you can't remember, just hit the lock button again. This doesn't work on the Porsche, since you will be alternately locking and unlocking the car. Not a huge issue, just an unecessary annoyance -- in the same category as no Bluetooth and no satellite radio option.
If you lock it twice, (or lock and immediately unlock it as you stated) the car should lock itself again after a 45 - 60 second duration (my 996 does anyway).

BTW - if your car gets stolen within those 45 seconds, you are in the wrong neighborhood!
Old 10-09-2006, 12:49 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by gota911
If you lock it twice, (or lock and immediately unlock it as you stated) the car should lock itself again after a 45 - 60 second duration (my 996 does anyway).
You are correct, Tim. ... And it's somewhere in the
Old 10-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leader
While the "flashes" are better than nothing as you walk away from the car, they are so "delayed" after you actually lock the car I find myself standing and waiting for them.
I agree with OCBen; just lock it as soon as you close your door, while you're standing there to "hear" the locks engage.
Why Porsche won't make a "locking beep" a driver-selectable function, especially in light of how many want one, is confusing. It's not like it's expensive or difficult to implement for them.
If I don't want to wait for the hazards to flash I stand behind the car, hit the lock button on the key, see the red diode light up on the interior lock button and try walking away without looking back in admiration.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:03 PM
esef
Instructor

This is funny...Even though I can see the value of the beep, when I had my M5, I went to the dealer to have it turned off. I hated "announcing" myself everytime I locked the door. ;-)

Quick Reply: Locking Beep