Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atlas grey...hard as black to keep clean?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 05:00 PM
jjl
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Atlas grey...hard as black to keep clean?

all you Atlas owners out there...is Atlas grey as hard to keep clean as black? Love the color, bit concerned about upkeep - swirlmarks, frequent washings, etc.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:08 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it's as high maintenance as black. If you are really concerned, you can get meteror grey which is lighter. Atlas is a beautiful color that show up as either navy blue or charcoal depending on lighting.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:13 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
I don't think it's as high maintenance as black. If you are really concerned, you can get meteror grey which is lighter. Atlas is a beautiful color that show up as either navy blue or charcoal depending on lighting.
Agree, Atlas is indeed a great color....
Old 10-06-2006, 05:17 PM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a pain to keep clean when I first got mine. A big change from the Guards Red I had on my 3 previous P-cars. I started using the Zaino products and it has helped keep the dust off of the car. I polished out the swirl marks before I applied the Zaino and have had no issues in that regard since. I use the Z-6 as a quick detailer every 3 or four days and wash it every 2 to 3 weeks. The car always looks great. I park inside at night and in an underground garage at work so that helps some.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:25 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

Definitely not as hard as black to keep clean. I had a Atlas Grey 997 and my wife has a black benz. The 997 still looked clean a couple days after washing... her benz, not so much.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:30 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

not as hard as black but harder than silver or white.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:29 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never owned a black car. But,

1. Atlas is still a PITA to keep clean
2. Atlas passes for black at night and appears black to many viewers in daylight.
3. Atlas shows flaws and swirls/streaks like black does, very easily.

So, if you're open to black I would give Atlas a try. But if you're weary about owning black then I would make absolutely sure that I really wanted Atlas over something else like Slate, Seal, GT silver, or Meteor.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:51 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not even close to black in terms of showing dirt. But, not as easy as silver. I'd say it's just about in the middle in terms of showing dirt. It's a really great color though. Looks almost black in low light and blueish-grey metallic in direct light.

MC
Old 10-07-2006, 10:02 PM
9000RPMan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Split the difference and get Slate Grey. Its not nearly as hard as black to keep clean (although not nearly as easy as silver). Than again maybe I am prejudiced....
Old 10-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Hmmmm....

From my experience ... most any car that has a DARK finish is gonna be difficult to keep clean. But, that said, it depends on several other factors as well. However, the premise still holds in general.

Like, is the car garaged? Do you live on a dirt road? Do you drive on dirt roads? Do you keep you car covered in the garage? Do you live in a "Snow Belt" area ... sand/salt/dirt/crap, yada, yada? Is it a daily driver? Do you wash your car weekly? Or more often? Never?

So ... get a car in the color you like. Then be prepared to keep it looking nice. It ain't an F-250, eh. Altho, I've seen a couple that were pretty kewl.

But, I gotta tell ya .... I have not had a black vehicle for many years. But, in 2001 I was looking for a new pickup. I got a brochure and there was this ALL black truck sitting there. Wow ... !! What a nice looking truck. I ordered one and when it came in, the sales dude called and said, "Come down and pick up your truck ... it's in the paint shop ... the only place we can keep it clean until you pick it up!" Ohhhhhhhhhhhh-kay.

Now, I know why I don't have black vehicles. I won't have another real soon either. I had a quarter mile dirt driveway that made the truck dirty immediately. Now, it's paved and I'm reprieved ... to a degree.

The dirt/dust are only the initial part of the problems for me. The swirl marks, scratches, nicks, yada, yada are even worse. Yikes ....!

I have several silver cars. They look clean for WEEKS! Just drive 'em thru a 'touchless wash' in the winter, and they look great. No water spots, no visible scratches/swirls ... EZ to wash on yer own as well. Wash, blow dry with a leaf blower and wipe with a towel. BOM it couple times a year .... dunn!

JMO ......... BAGGER (BTW, did I tell you I have a Forest Green P-car ordered? What am I talking about??)

Quick Reply: Atlas grey...hard as black to keep clean?