Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed & K40 Calibre INSTALLED!

Old 08-31-2006, 09:47 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Fabspeed & K40 Calibre INSTALLED!

Picked up my baby yesterday after having the Fabspeed mufflers & the K40 Calibre radar detector w/laser defuser installed.

The Fabspeed mufflers sound great. Much deeper at higher RPMs. Louder than stock, but not obtrusive. Better half says it's not too loud even when in the garage. I'm really enjoying the enhanced sound. While PSE was a major consideration I'm glad I went with the Fabspeed.

Initial observations on the Calibre are very positive too. Found two speed traps today well before I got to them. Don't necessarily speed, but really like the improved situational awareness it provides. Considered several options, including V1 and decided Calibre w/laser defuser was best for me.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Anthony4579
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you have the Fabspeed mufflers installed?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Power-Tech, in Rockaway, NJ
Old 08-31-2006, 10:47 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I have the K 40 and it's the most impressive radar detector I've ever had.

Jay
Old 08-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Anthony4579
Intermediate

Thanks for the info - I have already been to Power-Tech's website. I have been giving changing the exhaust some serious thought as I am disappointed with the stock sound under most circumstances except hard acceleration. I also have an 06 C2S, are you concerned at all about getting a hard time from your dealership regarding potential future warranty work due to having an aftermarket exhaust?
Old 09-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Haven't heard of any issues with warranty work at the local dearships due to aftermarket mufflers. Also didn't find that to be an issue with all of the research I did before the decision.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:05 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealers can bully you all they want, but it is against the law for them to not warranty the car if you put aftermarket parts on, unless it can be proven BY THEM that the parts were the cause of the damage.

It's called the Magnuson-Moss act. http://www.magnusonproducts.com/magnusonmoss.htm
Old 09-01-2006, 04:29 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stick em' Up this is a hijack!
I just purchased a V1 and its amazing. What is it about the K40 you guys like so much and have you ever owned a V1? Directional arrows and multiple bogey counter on the V1 are awsome. I suppose I could've purchased just about any other unit for the price I paid for my new V1. Every time people ask about detectors on RL the V1 seems to win. Your thoughts?
Old 09-01-2006, 04:47 PM
icruze
Racer

The K40 Calibre (bluetooth) system is 100% stealth and typically comes with laser diffusers. I like not having the unit visible since some officers will not let you off with a warning if you are using a detector. BTW, the price of V1 will not get you a K40.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:55 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

How much is a K40? More than $430?? Must be one hellava unit. We don't have any laws here against detectors and since mine is mounted way up above the rearview mirror with no visible wires hanging down etc. I don't think an officer looking down into the car can see it. I also dont think they can see it from the rear given the roofline of my lowered 993. I agree that a diffuser sounds like a really great idea. Is the K40 actually a radar detector or a radar detector & jammer? Sounds pretty sweet. Any pics?
Old 09-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Dro
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
How much is a K40? More than $430?? Must be one hellava unit. We don't have any laws here against detectors and since mine is mounted way up above the rearview mirror with no visible wires hanging down etc. I don't think an officer looking down into the car can see it. I also dont think they can see it from the rear given the roofline of my lowered 993. I agree that a diffuser sounds like a really great idea. Is the K40 actually a radar detector or a radar detector & jammer? Sounds pretty sweet. Any pics?
The K40 is installed behind the front bumper and rear bumper. Then uses bluetooth technology to send signal to the cabin where u can have the LEDs installed where ever you want. One LED for the front and one for the back.
THe diffusor is installed in the front as well and can be installed in the back but is rarely done so because how often do you get lasered from behind?

Becuase of the amount of install work that is needed along with parts i believe the cost is around $1,800 or so for everything installed and ready to go.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:09 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Calibre radar detector & laser diffusers are a built-in, nearly invisible system. The laser detectors/diffusers are mounted on the license plates. The radar detectors are behind the plastic bumpers. Displays are blue LED's alongside the tach and a speaker underneath the dash. All operated by a wireless remote that fits in the ashtray. Cost($2000+) will give you palpitations of the heart.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:34 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Well I guess I've got a slightly antiquated Carrera (993 vs 997) and same goes with the V1 vs. the newer K40 system. At least I know that the older technology stuff I have is pretty darn good. I'd have a tough time spending 2 large on just detection equipt when it could instead go to performance mods just as I'd have a tough time parting with $80 large for a 997 at this point. Sounds like K40 is a pretty awsome system for an awsome car.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Dro
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Well I guess I've got a slightly antiquated Carrera (993 vs 997) and same goes with the V1 vs. the newer K40 system. At least I know that the older technology stuff I have is pretty darn good. I'd have a tough time spending 2 large on just detection equipt when it could instead go to performance mods just as I'd have a tough time parting with $80 large for a 997 at this point. Sounds like K40 is a pretty awsome system for an awsome car.
I havent been able to justify it either...thats why I have held off on it. But yea it is a pretty killer system!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

The $1,800 range (w/laser defuser) is correct. Considered the V1 but by the time I had a laser defuser added (or integrated with the Passpport X50) total cost would've been about $1,100 - $1,100. Without the active defuser to confuse the laser gun I was concerned the V1 would only let me know I've been nailed. With the defuser the gun shouldn't get a reading and I have time to slow down if necessary. That's how I justified the K40.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fabspeed & K40 Calibre INSTALLED!