Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed & K40 Calibre INSTALLED!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006 | 08:57 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
How much is a K40? More than $430?? Must be one hellava unit. We don't have any laws here against detectors and since mine is mounted way up above the rearview mirror with no visible wires hanging down etc. I don't think an officer looking down into the car can see it. I also dont think they can see it from the rear given the roofline of my lowered 993. I agree that a diffuser sounds like a really great idea. Is the K40 actually a radar detector or a radar detector & jammer? Sounds pretty sweet. Any pics?
I think that I paid about $1500 installed for mine which includes a front laser diffuser. I like the totally stealth look without an ugly box on the windshield.

Here's a link to a pic that I posted of mine. Not much to see: 2 LEDs on the dash and a small black box below the license plate (for the diffuser): https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=11
Old 09-01-2006 | 10:31 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DJ23
I have the K 40 and it's the most impressive radar detector I've ever had.

Jay
DITTO! K40 is now Bluetooth!!! I love my K40!!!!
Best investment for your Porsche!

Deanski
Old 09-01-2006 | 10:36 PM
ryssyr
Rennlist Member

i got my k40 back in 05. its saved me many times. this was hands down the #1 option i put on my vehicle.
Old 09-01-2006 | 11:25 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

I like how stealthy the system is but wondering how prevalent lazer speed detection is with the fuzz? Haven't seen any yet in about a week of use with my V1 on a highway heavily patrolled by the CHP. V1 says they've been using X and Ka bands so far but no lazer. Hope it stays that way. So does this K40 let you know what direction the radar is coming from? There are several places along the route I frequent that has X band and K band emissions. When I come up on these areas which happen to be near where the CHP likes to hide and ambush unsuspecting speeders I can tell if there's another bogey out there. If the CHP uses X band where that X band emission usually is the V1 tells me there's a second bogey. Otherwise with the unit I used to have I'd never know there was a CHP using radar in addition to the radar from the Cal Trans or whatever the radar tower is in that area. Can the K40 alert you to the fact that there's another bogey in the same viscinity? Another situation where I found the V1 helpful was when I had passed the stationary radar emitter and a CHP was further up the road. The V1 showed the in front of me and behind me arrows letting me know there was radar from 2 directions and again showed a 2 for two bogeys out there. I almost got popped in this type of situation with my old radar detection unit that had no directional arrows or bogey counters. Even with the slick stealthiness of the K40 if it doesn't do what the V1 does I'd really have trouble justifying the cost of the K40....and thats even if I was flush with disposable cash. V1 can be made much more stealthy. Saw one embedded in a customized rearview mirror and also in the tachometer of a 993. Very slick and less pricey than the K40. Is its separate sensors and blue tooth ability its real claim to fame?
Old 09-01-2006 | 11:50 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Yes, the K40 identifies front alert (left LED) and a rear alert (right LED). It has several alert settings for voice, tone, or both. The Linear Geiger mode alerts you for the entire time you're being painted by a radar (front, rear, or both).

Laser is not only used in this area but a few police friends indicate it will become more prevelent. Some of the aspects of the K40's claim to fame is:

* - Exceptional radar & laser detection from all areas
* - Active laser defuser to prevent speed detection
* - VG-2 Shielded - passively & actively designed to prevent detection from the police VG-2 Gun
* - Voice, tone, LED (or all 3) alert notifications
* - Stealth installation

As mentioned previously, a requirement for my choice was to have an active laser defuser working in conjunction with the detector. After reviewing many options and combinations the K40 was the best solution for my requirements. After only a few days I'm still very pleased with my decision.
Old 09-02-2006 | 01:13 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like the only thing the K40 system doesn't provide is a numerical count of bogies being detected if more than one is present from the same direction. Also seems that it doesn't indicate when you are being "painted" as you call it, from the side. My understanding is that speed cannot be measured from the side but it helps me to better locate the source. Although the V1 provides laser notification, by then its already too late making this feature of the V1 somewhat gimmicky in my view. A diffuser sounds like a nice add-on to what I have presently. Does that system afford you protection from laser if moving away from the source as well or just when moving toward the source (based upon placement of the diffuser)? Also wondering if there are stand-alone diffuser systems? Perhaps a radar-jammer would be nice too. No idea what these kinds of systems might run. What is the legality of such systems? What exactly is VG-2? Is it also referred to as POP Radar or instant on? If so, does the VG-2 gun transmit on X, K, or Ka bands? BTW, TB - the color choice of colors of your car is stunning, one of my favorites.
Old 09-02-2006 | 01:37 AM
icruze
Racer

Some of the prices for the K40 listed on this thread are high. You can get it for $1200 from a non-dealer based installer. If you enjoy the V1 there are other laser defuser systems you can use. They are legal however, radar jammers are illegal.
Old 09-02-2006 | 01:47 AM
boolala
Race Car

Laser has to be used from a stationary platform so they can't sneak up behind you and target you from a moving vehicle. Some installers think only a front diffuser is needed and that's what I've got. You can install another rear diffuser if you want for about $200.

Radar jammers are illegal.
Old 09-02-2006 | 01:52 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

A few things;

I don't think any Police force actually uses X-band any more. These are signals from door openers and such. I'll find that reference if you like.

Laser detectors by themselves are worthless. If your detector lights up you're done unless you have countermeasures like diffusers, license plate covers or coatings on your finish. Laser also does not work from behind yet last I checked. Not that it can't, but no one makes a red-shift gun, only blue-shift so far.

Cops can use radar either way but the more off axis, the slower you appear to be traveling, so if they are perpendicular you appear to stand still, so side detection is a waste too.

Front, rear and passive/active measures if you are going to bother detecting lasers is all you need. I have a V1, but to use all the features and screw around is a big distraction when driving hard. If it or my Passport screams I shut down, that's all.
Old 09-02-2006 | 04:48 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Interesting points. Regarding X band: interestingly there haven't been that many traps lately on my route to/from work (this week was the first with the V1). X band alert went nuts in one area but now that you mention it (allegretto) the place I thought a CHP had left his radar on while citing someone on the side of the road was exactly in the vicinity of where the tower emitting X band is located and I don't recall if the bogey counter was at 1 or 2. I am certain I detected K band or might have been Ka today from a CHP patrol car. The only feature I use on the V1 that requires any interaction is muting non threatening bogeys with the push of a button. I really don't need to take my eyes off the road to do that and if I'm really moving and it goes off forget the volume...I go straight to the brake pedal. I guess my thoughts on the K40 system is that it sounds really nice but it would be one touch nicer with a bogey counter for multiple threats or alerts coming from the same direction. Apart from the diffuser feature it seems a little pricey for what you get but then again any install of nice equipment like sound systems, alarms etc. can liberate dollars from your wallet quickly.
Old 09-02-2006 | 08:35 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

2ndof2 - I spent many hours reviewing past threads on this forum, reviewing multiple web sites, spoke to several police officers, and reading several publications on the lastest (and future). There are many excellent options for radar detection and several options for active laser countermeasures. IMO 3 of the better ones are the V1, X50, and Sti Driver coupled with a laser defuser.

That said after completing my analysis of the merits and detriments of all options including the various price points of each, I determined the overall best value (and protection) for the money was the K40. I too struggled with the cost of the K40, but after the first few days haven't regreted spending the extra bucks. A V1 with a laser defuser would have run me close to $1K, or a little more.

The V1 is an excellent option. I'd suggest you consider an active laser defuser to complete your system.

A few of the web sites I found helpful/informative are:

http://speedzones.com/
http://www.radarbusters.com/
http://www.k40.com/
Old 09-02-2006 | 12:04 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Tedder Bear, did you get your 997 at Jack Daniels?
Old 09-02-2006 | 12:16 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Bob in NY - Yes. How did you know/guess?
Old 09-02-2006 | 12:35 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

My first 997 test drive was in a car that matched yours exactly at Jack Daniels. It had the same options and color and I fell in love with it after one drive. I think it was maybe last December or so when the 06's were in the market. I wanted it but it was a bad time of year to sell my 01 Cab and they gave me a terrible trade in offer.
Old 09-02-2006 | 01:26 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Driving back from Birmingham 2 years ago a Miss. Sherriff had an X band, cruising along at 55mph. He also had a straw cowboy hat and mirrored glasses...like something out of an old movie.
My next detector will be a K40, the others are great but I want a stealth install this time around on the TT.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed & K40 Calibre INSTALLED!