Sponsored by:

New Porsche Buyer - 997 v. 997S - UPDATE: POLL before I pull trigger on Monday

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 07:00 PM
lazlo9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fenway71
Ok all. Went to another dealer today and found the salesguy/dealership I'm definitely going with. Non-pushy and helpful...can you believe it?

Here's what I'm planning to get:

Arctic Silver or Atlas Grey / Black Std Leather
(I'm leaning toward the silver)
Power & Heated seats
Bose
Bi-xenon
TPMS
Navigation

I plan to take what's in stock either at my dealer or whereever he can locate one nationally that has these options at a minimum.

Poll #1: Do I pay extra $7-8K for S version or bank it as a reserve for speeding tickets? No plans to track the car. This is my weekend excursion car. Either way - this is a monster upgrade from the Audi A4 I had before.

Poll #2: Am I missing any other "must-have" options?

I'M SO EXCITED TO GET A 911! ULTIMATE DREAM FOR SOMEONE LIKE ME WHO GREW UP WITH ZERO MONEY.

I just got the same car. Base C2 with Silver/Blk, Xenon, power seats, Bose (NO NAV). Love it. I don't need more power in LA and honestly S is a bit louder and I like mine JUST the way it is.

Also, you can steal an '06 right now for 4k under sticker. Don't let them tell you different.

Good Luck!
Old 08-27-2006, 07:13 PM
rzundel
Instructor

You will regret not getting the S. This is a must have!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:39 PM
fenway71
Track Day

ok all...tomorrow's the big day. i've decided to go base 997 in silver/black. i know i'll get boos from the 'S' afficionados, but to me, less is more. if i can get 4-5% off sticker, i'm getting a hell of a car for $75K.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:44 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree about the 'S', if the extra money isn't a factor the S is worth it in spades. If your budget is tight then of course you can't go wrong with the base 997.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:32 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedder Bear
Another note on interior color - I looked at a silver w/gray and a silver with blue. Both looked great. Had I opted for the silver I would have picked the blue interior. It really looked better than I would have ever suspected.
Silver with Gray, not blue! The blue interior does not wear well and will be a much harder sell if you ever go to sell the car. For Silvers and Grays, stick to Gray or Black. For Black, White or Blue either black, gray or beige interiors will look good.

FYI, I have a friend who ordered and took delivery of an 06' 997 earlier this year. He wanted a low option car and didn't care for PSM or 19" wheels. Having the most performance was also not in his criteria and I advised him to look at on a Carrera. He is extremely happy with his decision. He went with Seal gray with black interior.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Silver with Gray, not blue! The blue interior does not wear well and will be a much harder sell if you ever go to sell the car. For Silvers and Grays, stick to Gray or Black. For Black, White or Blue either black, gray or beige interiors will look good.
Don't know how well the blue would wear, just thought it looked good with the silver.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:34 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Silver with Gray, not blue! The blue interior does not wear well and will be a much harder sell if you ever go to sell the car.....
Are you saying blue won't wear as well as other interior colors? Why would a blue interior not wear well as the others? Is this just your opinion or do you have first hand experience to substantiate that? Just curious.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:54 PM
997 C2
Intermediate

I love my C2 non-S. Sure I'd love the extra hp, but 325 in a 997 is lots. I sure do pass many an S with my standard C2.

One option to consider is the standard sport seats. I have the adaptive sports, but rarely use the inflatable bolsters. Personally, I'd put this option above all others.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:58 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tedder Bear
Don't know how well the blue would wear, just thought it looked good with the silver.
I have an Artic Silver Cab with Midnight Blue interior. After 34k miles and over 4k on the track, the seats look almost new. I condition the leather frequently but overall, I believe the blue leather has held up as well as black and doesn't show dirt like lighter colors.

I do think Artic Silver with blue interior is a great combination!

MC
Old 08-28-2006, 01:02 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

ok all...tomorrow's the big day. i've decided to go base 997 in silver/black. i know i'll get boos from the 'S' afficionados, but to me, less is more. if i can get 4-5% off sticker, i'm getting a hell of a car for $75K.
No boos here. You make the decision based on your preferences and circumstances. Congratulations!

Please post pics when you take delivery of your new baby!

MC
Old 08-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Just as you're ready to pull the trigger ... look what pops up on your own forum .....
Old 08-30-2006, 10:05 AM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by carboy2
I purchased an '06 997 C4 artic silver with black full leather interior. S is sweet, but the base Carerra is one fine driving car. I don't track the car and the performance of the base Carrera fully satisfies my performance driving needs. Don't feel like you will regret not getting an S. I also really like the black interior with silver cars.

I agree, the non-S is a great machine... no regrets here!
Old 08-31-2006, 12:02 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nyca
have you ever owned a car with black leather interior before? its brutal in the summer, I would never buy a black car or get black leather interior ever again - no matter how good they look.
What? Hey now, what's wrong with black? Open car, open sunroof, remove sunshade and go.

Wahhh my interior is hot wahhhh (Artie Lang) What? You must be one of those Z06 owners.. DOH! I had to... couldn't resist after driving one... You want to cry about HOT? Drive these and you'll swear your pants legs are on fire.

Ah so what, they ALL get hot w/o a sunshade.

Deanski

Last edited by Deanski; 08-31-2006 at 12:18 AM.

Quick Reply: New Porsche Buyer - 997 v. 997S - UPDATE: POLL before I pull trigger on Monday