Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So who has the least optioned car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 01:35 AM
SpeedStateG35C
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So who has the least optioned car?

I have seen how great a 911 can be when loaded with options, but how about a basic car? I mean with every evolution of the Carrera they get better (I know its a matter of opinion or taste)

So what is a "basic" (if you can really call a 911 without or very few options a basic car) 911 like?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:41 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

I dunno I've got a pretty basic S and love it. Dont need the cd changer because I got an mp3 player in the dash, dont need nav because I never get lost dont need heated seats because it doesnt get too cold here, yadda yadda yadda

I didnt go nuts with the options but I'm sure there are out there with less...

So if you look at my sig the only options I got were:

supple leather, chrono, and aluminum trim on door handles/opener

oh just remembered self dimming mirrors now i have to update my sig
Old 08-24-2006, 01:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I suspect it DRIVES very much like a loaded car, it's just WHILE ENROUTE you have less things to play with, hear or assist you along the way.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:24 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I don't know, but kudos to whoever does. I'm a minimalist. I would've bought a totally stripped car, but the other half insisted on a CD changer, power seat package, multi-function wheel, and Tiptronic. That's it...no nav, no metallic paint, no xenons, no Bose, no dimming mirrors (although I did add Carrera S 19" wheels later on). GT3 is coming next, with no options.

I will say that the power seats package was a worthwhile; the lumbar support is great, and the memory is convenient with two drivers. The rest I could easily do without.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:46 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I think it's silly in this day and age to spend $100k on a car and not equip it with xenon headlights - a definitive upgrade in lighting. I also think it hurts the resale value quite a bit since it's a tough retrofit and a very popular option.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:48 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowside67
I think it's silly in this day and age to spend $100k on a car and not equip it with xenon headlights - a definitive upgrade in lighting. I also think it hurts the resale value quite a bit since it's a tough retrofit and a very popular option.
Not everyone agrees. I have xenon on 2/5 cars, and I actually prefer the halogens. A recent independent review I saw mentioned in the paper last week(I think it was ConsumerReview) found that the some of the xenon systems out there absolutely suck. They were easily outperformed by halogen systems. The key is in the projector system. I prefer the color spectrum of the white light from halogens, colors are more natural at night. The xenons make me feel like I'm driving in a scene lit by bad flurorescent bulbs.

Either way, manufacturers LOVE xenons--they're trendy and they make a lot of money from the upgrade. On a different thread, it was determined that on a 2002 car, xenons added $450 to resale according to Edmunds.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

<the some of the xenon systems out there absolutely suck. They were easily outperformed by halogen systems>
a porsche halogen system is as worthless as **** on a bull. my 996 came with woefully dim headlights.
I live on a fairly dark road and the light output was less that that from my daughter's jetta.
xenon retrofit saved the day. I don't know if the 997 standards are any better,but I wouldn't take the chance.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Sands
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeedStateG35C
I have seen how great a 911 can be when loaded with options, but how about a basic car? I mean with every evolution of the Carrera they get better (I know its a matter of opinion or taste)

So what is a "basic" (if you can really call a 911 without or very few options a basic car) 911 like?
I believe I may take the honor for least-optioned. Aside from the S engine, my only option is the Carrera Classic wheels with the colored crest. I simply wanted that motor and the car. I rarely listen to the radio (even though I am an audio nut at home) and think most options are a singular waste of money. I bought the car to drive. It came with everything needed to do that.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:44 AM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sands
I believe I may take the honor for least-optioned. Aside from the S engine, my only option is the Carrera Classic wheels with the colored crest. I simply wanted that motor and the car. I rarely listen to the radio (even though I am an audio nut at home) and think most options are a singular waste of money. I bought the car to drive. It came with everything needed to do that.
That's the spirit
Old 08-24-2006, 12:19 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sands
You win....
Old 08-24-2006, 12:20 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should have left the crests off. I did (actually I have "the wart" and dimming mirror). Form follows function. It is to be a "sports car" is it not?
Old 08-24-2006, 12:28 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I suspect it DRIVES very much like a loaded car, it's just WHILE ENROUTE you have less things to play with, hear or assist you along the way.
You play with the sound of the exhaust, the moan of the intake, the scrubbing of the tires, the bolt action of the shifter, the steering wheel feedback, the power delivery, the feeling of total responsiveness......
Old 08-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
My first car with xenons was a MB C43 AMG in 1999, and I've had them on a few cars since. They were unique and fun for a while, and spectacular in my M3 when aimed higher...unfortunately they also blinded other drivers. I had them most recently on an Audi S4, and when adjusted to spec the lighting was no better than the standard halogens on the 997. I don't mind them if standard, but I'll no longer pay extra for them...didn't opt for them in the 997 or E-class that I bought a few weeks ago.

I also think the mandatory chrome headlight washers on the 997 with xenons look cheap and tacked on (they look better with the body-color option now available).

You'll never recoup the cost of the option, so resale isn't an issue.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:41 PM
The B
Racer

My 997S is lightly optioned, (like, no cd changer or navigation). I was concerned about this when I bought the car, so I kept my 7 series for trips ect.

After 5 mos. or so of owning the 997S I sold the BMW to one of my Loan Officers due to having to wash a car that I was not really interested in. Now I think in terms of what I consider meaningful options like thicker steering wheel and sport shifter, (that I'm missing).

So, some options I think are important to the driving experience, but I do not miss all the gizmos in the 7 series.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:03 PM
SpeedStateG35C
Advanced

Wow this is very great to hear. Somes when talking to car enthusiasts I get the sense that people are about show instead of go and comfort usually takes over raw driving pleasure.

Not with 911 owners it seems, the bottom line is all about driving pleasure. Everybody here has shown that.

I guess the point of me posting this thread was to see how many "budget" 911s there are LOL I mean after spending a little time on Porsches website it is quite clear that a C2 S can see north of 200K Cdn but the way I saw it there was not much need for anything much to make a very enjoyable car. For me (next year hopefully) C2S with Sport Chrono and Xenons would make the car near perfect. Navi would be great so that I can take some nice long drives out of town and even use the car more during the week for business but not necessary, esp since there are some great kits out there (although I have been spoiled a bit lately with the factory ones)

The more I see it I think that I would be happy with a C2S with the Sport chrono and lighting, and although the Aero kit is really hot! there are soooooooooooo many nice kits out there that can be had for less and in some cases look even better.

Thanks to everyone that has responded, you may have potentially saved me 20+ K for next year LOL

Quick Reply: So who has the least optioned car?