Sponsored by:

So who has the least optioned car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Sands
I believe I may take the honor for least-optioned. Aside from the S engine, my only option is the Carrera Classic wheels with the colored crest. I simply wanted that motor and the car. I rarely listen to the radio (even though I am an audio nut at home) and think most options are a singular waste of money. I bought the car to drive. It came with everything needed to do that.
dems fancy pedals in your avitar!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:49 PM
jfabes
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you need to be careful here. Oh, btw, yes, I am a newbie here Most people "expect" certain things in an $80k+ car. Few peeps buy these cars "just" for the driving experience. If that were the case, there would be way more base cars. I think that if you get a car that is barely equipped, yes, you will pay less now and get less for it down the road. The downside to that is that you will be targeting a more select audience that doesn't care about options. And there aren't many. In turn, that means that you *may* end up selling the car for LESS than its true value due to a niche market.

By no means am I suggesting dropping $20k on options like the aero kit and the x-51 - even though those are both bad-a$$ options. But, I think things like xenon's are must have's. To me, its not silly, its rediculous to spend that much on a car and not have those.

I had a 97 Boxster and swapped out the halogen's for the Litronics and it was a world of difference. I hadn't had halogen's in a car since then until I bought my daily driver two months ago - an '06 VW Rabbit - and compared to xenon's I've had in my MB's, Audi's, BMW's and Porsche's I've owned, halogens are the worst lighting EVER.

My response to people who say that their halogen's put out more light on the road than Xenon's.....go get your xenon's aligned. That's an outrageous claim.... like saying that you invented the question mark. As a highly educated Engineer......I have to say "prove it to me".
Old 08-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Speaking of lightly-optioned C2S's, here's one that would sticker for less than $83.5k, if anyone's interested...if they were aggressively discounting it too, it would be nice.

http://champion.porschedealer.com/ne...ntoryid=246743
Old 08-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

A real-smart buy would be a non-S carrera, with no options (or just a few) and 4-5k off sticker. That's a brand new fast Porsche that you could love with a full warranty for around $66 or $67k. Great buy.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:54 PM
krC2S
Racer

what about a "sport pack" : sports chrono, sports seats, sport design wheels

nice and cheap

i later couldn't resist and got PSE
Old 08-24-2006, 07:36 PM
tim martin
Rennlist Member

o.k. ill play...zenons and power seats... thats it...oh its a "lowly" 3.6 non s.....got 3 k off last year when cars were scarce....goes fast and pulls great for me. 130+ last weekend heading up to monterey (open road, no cars). :0
Old 08-24-2006, 08:02 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
A real-smart buy would be a non-S carrera, with no options (or just a few) and 4-5k off sticker. That's a brand new fast Porsche that you could love with a full warranty for around $66 or $67k. Great buy.
Sticker = 72,400 - discount (5000) = 67,400 + delivery (600) = 68,000 + tax (8.75%) = 74,000.

That's the least you can get one for. Is 5K discount a reasonable amount?
Old 08-24-2006, 08:49 PM
lazlo9
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpeedStateG35C
I have seen how great a 911 can be when loaded with options, but how about a basic car? I mean with every evolution of the Carrera they get better (I know its a matter of opinion or taste)

So what is a "basic" (if you can really call a 911 without or very few options a basic car) 911 like?
ALL I GOT WAS Xenon's, bose, arctic silver and my big luxury... power seats... which in my opinion are not needed.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:16 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I've got a non-S 997 with:

Xenons
Sport Chrono
Sport Shifter
Color wheel creasts

I could easily drop the Chrono, but none of the rest. Don't see any need for power seats, as I'm virtually the only driver. LOVE the Sport Shifter.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Paul SLC
Advanced

Sport seats, sport chrono, mats, and silver paint, that's it.
Love it.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Originally Posted by discoganya
Sticker = 72,400 - discount (5000) = 67,400 + delivery (600) = 68,000 + tax (8.75%) = 74,000.

That's the least you can get one for. Is 5K discount a reasonable amount?
True.. I was talking pretax, which is how it's usually discussed. But I hear you, sales taxes suck. Fortunately, I paid no sales tax on my car since it was preowned, private-party. Sticker 99K, I paid 89K plus the registration fee.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:47 AM
jfabes
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
True.. I was talking pretax, which is how it's usually discussed. But I hear you, sales taxes suck. Fortunately, I paid no sales tax on my car since it was preowned, private-party. Sticker 99K, I paid 89K plus the registration fee.
Okay, I'll bite....how do you buy a car w/o paying the sales tax? i've lived in several different states and bought several used cars and have never seen a loop-hole out of this one. pre-owned, new, whatever. even if buying from a private party you need the title and registration to go get plates. so, please tell me how you got out of this one....is it not TT&L for a reason???
Old 08-25-2006, 05:24 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jfabes
Okay, I'll bite....how do you buy a car w/o paying the sales tax? i've lived in several different states and bought several used cars and have never seen a loop-hole out of this one. pre-owned, new, whatever. even if buying from a private party you need the title and registration to go get plates. so, please tell me how you got out of this one....is it not TT&L for a reason???
Well in Canada anyways, you will save GST if you purchase a used car anywhere. PST (Provincial Sales Tax) will still apply on a used vehicle at a dealership. However, if you purchase the vehicle used from an individual - the previous owner himself - you pay no sales tax whatsoever.

Make sense?

I don't know if that's exactly how it works down south, but I suspect it likely is.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Sands
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marv
dems fancy pedals in your avitar!
I wasn't really sure about including my Rennline pedals, Marv. I took "options" to mean anything you could check off on the Porsche order form. I also have the V1 radar detector, which I put in the same category. Once you get past the Porsche factory options, you're into "customizing."
Old 08-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Originally Posted by jfabes
Arizona. If you buy preowned from a private-party - no sales tax. If you buy preowned from a dealer - you pay sales tax.

Quick Reply: So who has the least optioned car?