Sponsored by:

Wear problem with sport seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 07:04 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wear problem with sport seats

The adaptive sport seats in my car have an accelerated wear pattern from the seat belts. The outboard side of the lower part of the seat back has been abraded by the seat belt. The finish is completely worn off and the leather is slowly being ground down by the seat belt This is after only one year of use.

This problem was recognized early in the life of the car by the dealer. Photographs were taken and it was brought to the attention of PCNA. Surprisingly(!), nothing has been done. The problem is getting worse.

Has anyone else experienced this wear pattern? I keep the seat all the way back for adequate legroom and this interference condition appears to be unavoidable.

I also have an interference problem with the wind deflector hitting the back of the seat that PCNA acknowledges and refuses to correct. Due to this design misfit, I cannot use the wind deflector without damaging the seat back. This problem has been the subject of at least one thread on this forum, but nothing has ever been done to correct it by PCNA.

It appears that the only practical remedy for the seat wear defect is placement of a sacrificial leather pad, attached to the seat with double faced tape.

Has anyone else experienced these problems? If so, complaint to PCNA is in order. If enough of us bitch these design blunders, something may be done to correct them.

Please, complain to them, over and over again, until these problems get corrected. PCNA is unresponsive to design problems and wil ignore purchaser complaints if they can.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:42 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

Mine is ever so light on that area, but not enough for me to fret, yet. The;y can repaint the area and make it look brand new. A friend of mine had it done and I could not believe how nice it looked. Speak with an upholstery shop, a good one.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I'll keep a close eye on mine in that area. With the natural brown leather my finish is a bit different I think,--I believe on the non-'natural leather' finishes it is a sort of manufactured finish which can wear over time,--unfortunately, as it appears, way too early.

The wind stop is another problem,--and I can't see a way out of that. I have the A.S. seats as well, except mine have the leather on the backs,--so I'm especially concerned about their situation vis-a-vis the windstop. (I guess I'm lucky not to be that tall necessitating the seats in the full back position).
Old 08-21-2006, 02:38 PM
kasendorf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also noticed the same type of wear on my drivers seat and believe it is a result of me rubbing the seat every time I get in. My solution was to have the power seat move back whenever I turn off the alarm and unlock the door and than resetting the seat poition while I am starting the car.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:53 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kasendorf
I have also noticed the same type of wear on my drivers seat and believe it is a result of me rubbing the seat every time I get in. My solution was to have the power seat move back whenever I turn off the alarm and unlock the door and than resetting the seat poition while I am starting the car.
How did you program your car to move the seat back?...Thanks...GR
Old 08-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

I don't have any wear issues with the seat belt because I have the set so far back. What I do have a problem with is the side of the seat rubbing on the inside panel behind the seat belt and it squeaks when the body flexes. It also rubs on the center console. Its as if the seat is a half size to large for the car. They are very comfortable though.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bigwave
I don't have any wear issues with the seat belt because I have the set so far back. What I do have a problem with is the side of the seat rubbing on the inside panel behind the seat belt and it squeaks when the body flexes. It also rubs on the center console. Its as if the seat is a half size to large for the car. They are very comfortable though.
Anyone else having this problem?
Old 08-21-2006, 10:52 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bigwave

I am having this problem also,,,,,,
Old 08-21-2006, 11:18 PM

Anyway to insulate the console and/or area behind the seat belt with say felt tape to stop the noise and or wear?
Old 08-22-2006, 03:23 AM
akif
Advanced

Originally Posted by GR997S
How did you program your car to move the seat back?...Thanks...GR
I have a 987S, but the procedure should be the same.

You program your key memory (the button with the key on it) with the seat in the "back" position (directions are in the manual so I won't repeat them here).

Program another button with your correct seat position.

Everytime you unlock your car with that particular key, the seat will automatically adjust to the key memory (the back position). Get in the car, and then press the other programmed button, and the seat will adjust to the correct position.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:04 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Akif: So simple yet great idea..Thanks....GR
Old 08-22-2006, 01:41 PM
kasendorf
Advanced

Originally Posted by akif
I have a 987S, but the procedure should be the same.

You program your key memory (the button with the key on it) with the seat in the "back" position (directions are in the manual so I won't repeat them here).

Program another button with your correct seat position.

Everytime you unlock your car with that particular key, the seat will automatically adjust to the key memory (the back position). Get in the car, and then press the other programmed button, and the seat will adjust to the correct position.
Exactly the way I did it in my 997.

Quick Reply: Wear problem with sport seats