Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Was Taken out of My Porsche Today at Gunpoint!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
fwiw, NCIC does not allow other systems to connect to them.

FCIC (florida, still uses a BBS, for submission, then a human read and enters the search into a 'secure stand alone system'

NV DMV would need to do a manual search at $10-15 each.....

So, how many plates do they issue a year, divided by how many bodies to search NCIC, plus $15 each search, thats your net increase for tags....

BUT they SHOULD have appoligized.... no excuse there.... call internal affairs,
(but beforewarned, they'll be really looking for you then... just never speed! )

imho, the tag and car year are pretty tough to critize... can you tell a 1992 or 2002 from a 2007 S class benz? not me...

Actually CA is tied in to NCIC at no cost. I'm sure other states are as well. (Sounds like Fla is not).

There has to be a way for DMV not to issue stolen plates. I am not the only one with personalized plates.

Also, non-personalized plates that are just off the press are not stolen. No one would have to check those plates with NCIC.

But DMV does need to check plates that are re-issued. Their system (here in NV) does warn them if a plate is a first time issue or re-issued.

They had the entire issuance history of these plates....except the stolen info.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:31 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow very strange story. I feel for you're daughter. It sounds like you handled the situation the best you could given the circumstances you were dealing with. I'm sure the gun added to the cops radar but, ultimately they handled the situation poorly I feel. Its okay everyone makes mistakes and they were just trying to do their job but, they should have given a apology to you and spoken with you're daughter re assuring her things are okay.

I feel these days law enforcement is left more up to the individual officer at the time and not proper procedure. I was followed by one police cruiser for quite sometime leaving the office one evening all the way to my neighborhood. Then he finally flicks on his lights while im not but, hundreds of feet from my house! Unblieveable. He asked that I pull the keys from the ignition and toss them out of the window. He then asked to see my hands clearly and called for backup(3 more cruiser. YAY!) I was forced to exit the my car in the cold and stand outside for 45minutes while they asked me tons of questions. "when did you get this car" "you are too young for a porsche did daddy buy you this car" "we've had reports of stolen high end cars lately you wouldn't know anything about that would you" ect.ect.

It was way outta line and completely uncalled for. In the end he wrote me a ticket for no front plate and let me drive the remaining 200ft to my house. They didn't apologize at all or make any attempt to right their wrong. They were basically using their badges to bully someone. They saw someone young in a flashy car and wa la thats all it took.

Im so glad to hear you're daughter is coming around and I agree with you police these days think they can say whatever do whatever without recourse. This is the sad truth of the matter. There really is a fine line between the bad guys and the good guys.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I know it's a little late now to do this, but perhaps others can. When something like this happens to you (and you are clearly in the right) just go with the flow, and show the police how incredibly understanding you are of them, and how you appreciate their special attention. Don't be false about this. Be sincere.

The next time you're out there in your highly visible car they might just cut you some real slack to make up for this day.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Chris Stack
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting to see how many people responded about the apparent "irresponsibility" of legally carrying a concealed weapon around a child. Am I so old at the age of 24 that it is unthinkable that I learned how to handle and use a firearm at an age not much older than the OP's daughter? And that perhaps as a responsible CCW holder, he may have taught his daughter that guns aren't inherently dangerous (contrary to what many in this thread appear to think), but only become so when we play around with or misuse them?

It's incredible that many people think the police SHOULD treat you differently at what should be a mundane traffic stop for exercising, legally, your right to bear arms, and that they will call you irresponsible for protecting yourself in the vicinity of a loved one who may need that protection even more.

Not to take this off topic, but it is disheartening (and I should think offensive) to see how many people took the OP to task for legally and responibly arming himself. The drive to demonize firearms in this country (or at least, CA, where many of the anti-gun posts came from) is apparently working.

BTW, I don't own any weapons myself, but did carry one infrequently for work (Naval Officer), and support your legal right to arm yourself.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:56 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris Stack
Not to take this off topic, but it is disheartening (...)
If you get yourself a membership, you can discuss this with the OT crowd. They have picked up on this thread and are discussing it from all angles. See https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topic/292913-997-forum-scary-post.html. Good luck! (Membership first, of course).
Old 08-18-2006, 02:14 AM
Chris Stack
Track Day

Never fails. First post to rennlist in months, and the immediate reply is to get a membership.

I forget why I stay away sometimes.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:32 AM
4thporsche
Racer

".... guns aren't inherently dangerous.....", Per Chris Stack

Amazing statement...

Anyway, thought this was the 997 board.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:30 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Never fails. First post to rennlist in months, and the immediate reply is to get a membership. I forget why I stay away sometimes.
Listen, Chris, mine was intended to be a helpful comment, so don't give me an attitude. You said yourself you were taking it off-topic (which in fact you did with your view on general gun stuff) and I pointed out to you that they were discussing this in the off-topic forum, because I knew that you could not possibly know about that, simply because you weren't a member. I could not care less about you or anybody else being a member or not, but I thought I should point it out in case you wanted to dig deeper into this. After all it sounded as if it was important to you but - as you said yourself - it IS off topic and inappropriate for the 997 forum.

So, Chris, I don't know if you need smilies or whatever, but my comment was friendly and matter-of-fact, so don't give me your "never fails" bla bla as if that had happened two million times. Thank you.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Chris Stack
Track Day

If that was truly your intention, I apologize; however, as you've spent some time on this board, I'm sure you've seen that two-class sentiment thrown around, and can understand why I immediately leapt to that conclusion.

Anyways, I have no interest in debating this (the gun issue) further, as no one's mind will be changed either way, but as a number of people did slam the OP, I wanted him to know that not everyone shares the narrow-minded view that inanimate object=extreme danger to anyone.

Again, I apologize for the misunderstanding.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:34 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

to put a positive spin on it...look at the bright side, you have a porsche, you are allowed to carry a gun, and you having a daughter proves you have been laid at least once.....
Old 08-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

If that was truly your intention, I apologize
Thanks, Chris. That's cool. Too great of a day to get caught up in these debates anyway.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:14 PM
AntonioDestiny
AutoX

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
wow! now do the american thing...sue! j/k.

Everybody is sue happy nowadays
Old 08-24-2006, 11:15 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Dariof: Hated to read about your "event" It takes a man to apologize, you were clearly not dealing with "men". I hope your daughter is well.

Mooty: Remember, in most juridictions its no longer "serve and protect" but rather "serve and collect".

Jack
Old 08-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
P.S im jealous you get to carry....canada sucks
Bear spray.....
Not quite as good, but if you get caught with it, you can just say it was left in the car accidentally after a camping trip.

Glad you're okay, and glad your daughter is doing fine.

Quick Reply: I Was Taken out of My Porsche Today at Gunpoint!!