Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Was Taken out of My Porsche Today at Gunpoint!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 03:57 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
Seems like they are getting a bit concerned.

I received a call from the supervisor of DMV. She was very nice and apologized for what happened.

I told her I wanted new personalized plates and "This time I don't want all the commotion that go with the plates." She chuckled (in a nice way) and said she would make sure the plates are thoroughly checked out before they are given to me.

I also told her I did not expect to pay any fees for the new plate because I already purchased personalized plates that were taken from me. She agreed, and asked me to fax the DMV form directly to her and she "would take care of it."

Finally, someone doing the right thing.

i would ask them nicely to have a chance, either you go to their office, or they come to your home, explain this to your daughter.

again, $hit happens, as adult, i am sure you can handle that, after all, nobody got hurt, at least, physically, however, i am not sure how young kids will react to this.

it will be nice if they can explain this to your daughter.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:10 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Seems like they are getting a bit concerned.

I received a call from the supervisor of DMV. She was very nice and apologized for what happened.

I told her I wanted new personalized plates and "This time I don't want all the commotion that go with the plates." She chuckled (in a nice way) and said she would make sure the plates are thoroughly checked out before they are given to me.

I also told her I did not expect to pay any fees for the new plate because I already purchased personalized plates that were taken from me. She agreed, and asked me to fax the DMV form directly to her and she "would take care of it."

Finally, someone doing the right thing.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:30 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pl
i would ask them nicely to have a chance, either you go to their office, or they come to your home, explain this to your daughter.

again, $hit happens, as adult, i am sure you can handle that, after all, nobody got hurt, at least, physically, however, i am not sure how young kids will react to this.

it will be nice if they can explain this to your daughter.
I agreed. I also think the police department should send someone over to explain to your daughter about what happened. Your daughter probably thinks all cops are bad now.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:30 PM
hlj821
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Green Valley and take my 5 yr old daughter out in my 928 for rides all of the time. I know what that father/daughter connection is like and you definitely don't ever want them to see you being taken away in cuffs. I ran this situation by a very close friend that is Metro brass. He said to call Henderson Internal Affairs and file a complaint and they will have to conduct an investigation. An apology may come out of it at the least. Good luck with the beautiful car and I will wave when I see you.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by uzj100
Possible alternative--write letters to the appropriate people in DMV and the PD. Follow-up with letters to your local representatives as needed.

Horrible situation for your daughter to experience and I suspect that this is the source of most if not all of your anger--as it should be. You have some law enforcement connection, as you noted in your original post, and were it not for your daughter having to see this, might be a little more forgiving.

Had a similar incident occur a few years ago with my daughter in the car. And she had the same reaction as did your daughter. Though in time things all "smoothed over", just thinking about it now gets me a little hot--especially reading your post.

Please keep us posted
Screw that! Suing their asses will be the only thing that will get heads rolling!

Imagine a little boy or girl in the back seat playing with his toy gun or other toy and a new trigger happy recruit just itching to use his weapon....
Old 08-16-2006, 05:15 PM
himichael
Instructor

If those cops had shot you, the headlines would have read, "Police shoot armed man resisting arrest."

They lie all the time. They lie to make cases. They lie to get out of trouble. They lie to justify their actions. They lie for a friggin' traffic violation.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:17 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Screw that! Suing their asses will be the only thing that will get heads rolling!

Imagine a little boy or girl in the back seat playing with his toy gun or other toy and a new trigger happy recruit just itching to use his weapon....
It's interesting, coming from another country, seeing the American 'blame and sue' culture at work.

Seems it's always someones fault, and that someone should be sued.

Not sure that I've really seen the benefit of this attitude towards life - sometimes **** just happens, and it's not one person's fault, and no-one should be sued for anything......

Sometimes the right thing to do is just to try your hardest to make sure it doesn't happen again - without making a profit on the transaction...

Chris.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Perhaps I didn't understand your original posting,--you're running on CALIF personalized plates while the stolen car and plates were of a NEVADA car? I don't get that. How on earth can ANY competent police confuse a plate from one state with another state? Doesn't the NCIC readout indicate the state of registration? If the police confused that they were completely in the wrong to pull you over in the first place.

One thing I have learned from this,--never stop for the police until you can get to a public place where you can have witnesses.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:21 PM
himichael
Instructor

"One thing I have learned from this,--never stop for the police until you can get to a public place where you can have witnesses."

Amen to that. Furthermore, if your daughter has learned to fear and dislike the police, she has learned a valuable lesson.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Dario,

Glad you and your daughter are OK. I knew there was a reason I didn't want personal plates (other than I am a cheapskate).

Tomorrow (Thursday), I have to drive to Henderson. I guess I'll drive 5mph under the speed limit and come to a full stop at all stop signs. You never know....Atlas Grey sure looks a lot like midnight blue
Old 08-16-2006, 05:27 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
It's interesting, coming from another country, seeing the American 'blame and sue' culture at work.

Not sure that I've really seen the benefit of this attitude towards life - sometimes **** just happens, and it's not one person's fault, and no-one should be sued for anything......

Sometimes the right thing to do is just to try your hardest to make sure it doesn't happen again - without making a profit on the transaction...

Chris.

Interesting perspective from a foreigner. We use the legal system in the US to punish and reward through civil court and monetary settlement. Of course the system is designed by the lawyers and lawmakers to perpetuate the system and, ultimately reward the lawyers. I don't like the sue game, but sometimes its the only way to get money from someone who has wronged you and cost you money. In this instance, a lawsuit (I believe), is inappropriate. Instead, I'd insist the chief of police apologize on behalf of the department. I'm sure he would do it as it is the "right" thing to do.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:31 PM
pl
Drifting

i don't know your place, but here in u.s., the only way to make sure it doesn't happen again, is to sue and make those idiots pay for it.

u think those state employees would care if you write them letters??

don't ask how i know.

Originally Posted by cdodkin

Chris.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:33 PM
texas911
Race Car

Oh come on people. You guys have seen way to many bad cop movies. Not all cops are bad. Geez. Dario had a bad experience, but I can tell that most cops are good, it just takes a few to ruin their reputation. Give them some freaking credit.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:21 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Perhaps I didn't understand your original posting,--you're running on CALIF personalized plates while the stolen car and plates were of a NEVADA car? I don't get that. How on earth can ANY competent police confuse a plate from one state with another state? Doesn't the NCIC readout indicate the state of registration? If the police confused that they were completely in the wrong to pull you over in the first place.

One thing I have learned from this,--never stop for the police until you can get to a public place where you can have witnesses.
Dan - no, he was running Nevada plates.

Now here is the real scary part. It turns out my Nevada personalized plates, "DEALMKR," were reported stolen out of Los Alamitos, CA. It seems a 1992 Blue Carrera Porsche, had those plates and the vehicle was reported stolen several years ago (In 2002).

Old 08-16-2006, 06:38 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by pl
i don't know your place, but here in u.s., the only way to make sure it doesn't happen again, is to sue and make those idiots pay for it.

u think those state employees would care if you write them letters??

don't ask how i know.
Well, I do know your place as I have chosen to live here in the US.

The US has generated a system which rewards those who seek to point the finger and ask for a handout over any little thing.

That can produce change, but it also leads to a huge waste of time and money, and is often counter productive.

The only people who really win are the lawyers, as SilverSteel said.

We all pay higher insurance premiums for this exact reason!

My suggestion was to effect a change in the DMV policy, without sueing them for money - a better moral position all round.

Difficult for the sue happy locals to appreciate it some cases I'm sure, but it can be done.

I at least have a perspecitive of originally coming from a legal system that has, to date, resisted the slide into 'sue you' justice.

Any way - enough OT

Chris.

Quick Reply: I Was Taken out of My Porsche Today at Gunpoint!!