Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Was Taken out of My Porsche Today at Gunpoint!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 06:44 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

someone else made a comment to lead to believe you were not in the states.

i have chosen to live in US as well. but many times, people only start to do things the right way after they see lawyer letters. it sucks, but i guess that's how it works here.

as for this case, don't sue, it's waste of time.

[QUOTE=cdodkin]Well, I do know your place as I have chosen to live here in the US.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:49 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris, More Americans should think like you do.
There are not many who do, and you are rare among a dying breed here.
This crazy sue-system is causing a chain reaction in jacking up prices in many areas indirectly.

I know there are many on this board who are lawyers who will disagree though.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:04 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
Chris, More Americans should think like you do.
There are not many who do, and you are rare among a dying breed here.
This crazy sue-system is causing a chain reaction in jacking up prices in many areas indirectly.
I agree many people are 'sue-happy', but I wouldn't take the position of saying those who aren't are a dying breed. I'd like to think that the idiots suing fast food chains because they're fat or other stupid cases are the exception that get the majority of media coverage.

I wish more judges would throw out incredibly offensive and trite cases. HOWEVER, thank goodness the US is a society that allows us to critique ourselves. Other societies I've been in would just lop your head off. [..can't find a lopping-head-off-emoticon.]
Old 08-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The sue-crazy mentality exists in America today because many people don't care anymore ("I'm not the regular crewchief") like in the DMV and only by threatening to take it up legally do you get peoples' attention and subsequent action.

Also,--there are fundamentally problems out there that common sense won't try to straighten out. For example, if there is no linkage between the NCIC national system and each 50 states' licensing systems perhaps there should be and each state should consider taking action to close such a loop. What I don't want to read about is one of our citizens killed because of some bureaucratic snafu that is never learned from. Granted, this was a very usual scenario where law-enforcement personnel ran a check on a car but then couldn't identify a 1992 Porsche from a 2006 car. Oviously, it's up to us to help them learn.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:29 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't underestimate the power of the American media. It is the "extreme" cases which make the news and garner the attention of the public. Under that precedent, it makes complete sense that the public uses the lawsuit as a means for justice. Don't forget that the end goal might be a settlement PRIOR to any trial, as it is quite possible to win a case in the courtroom of public opinon (misinformation, better PR team, etc) despite the fact that it would never win in the legal courtroom.

Can we change this in America? Well, I doubt it - because how can one legislate "perception"? One can, but it would not be within a democracy. I think absolute control would be required (think Saddam, Hitler, etc.).

My $0.02
-B
Old 08-16-2006, 08:06 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Well, I do know your place as I have chosen to live here in the US.

The US has generated a system which rewards those who seek to point the finger and ask for a handout over any little thing.

That can produce change, but it also leads to a huge waste of time and money, and is often counter productive.

The only people who really win are the lawyers, as SilverSteel said.

We all pay higher insurance premiums for this exact reason!

My suggestion was to effect a change in the DMV policy, without sueing them for money - a better moral position all round.

Difficult for the sue happy locals to appreciate it some cases I'm sure, but it can be done.

I at least have a perspecitive of originally coming from a legal system that has, to date, resisted the slide into 'sue you' justice.

Any way - enough OT

Chris.

And a bit more. The other extreme is my father-in-Law from Stoke on Trent (wife is a brit), and his foot was mangled in a car crash, not his fault, and the doctors there left bone fragments. Because of whatever bias on the opposite side of the spectrum, he never got an "foothold" in a suit against the nationalized doctor, and he is on walking sticks for 20 years, and apparently, pain. There is a middle ground for everything. Cheers.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:21 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Edgy01

You bring up a very interesting point. I will elaborate because I had this dicussion with the police after they released me.

Granted, this was a very usual scenario where law-enforcement personnel ran a check on a car but then couldn't identify a 1992 Porsche from a 2006 car. Oviously, it's up to us to help them learn.
The police officer showed me his computer screen which showed my plate, DEALMKR as stolen. But the readout also said a 1992 Blue Porsche Carrera S, registered to some guy here in Henderson.

I asked them what about my car looks like it's a 1992 Porsche. They responded "Well, a Porsche is a Porsche."

I said, "Well, okay, I'll give you that. You are not a Porsche enthusiast.I can understand that. So, what about my car looks like it is 14 years old?" To that, there was the reply from one of them "Yes, your car is brand new."

There was no common sense at all being utilized.

Another discrepancy came up which I have not diiscussed yet.

NV recently started issuing all new plates without raised letters. The old plates (like most of the country) had raised lettering. This change started this year.

I also said to the police officer, "How can you even think my plates are 1992 plates? The lettering on my plates are not in raised lettering, but painted on. What about my plates looks like raised lettering?"

Again, no answer. They all just looked at me.

Yes, I was being a bit of an ahole at that juncture, but they knew I had them dead to rights.

They were too busy being cowboys and cowgirls to use common sense.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:46 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,335 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Hey Dario,

Your familiar with CA month and year tags on the rear plate right? Do that have that in Nevada?
Old 08-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Pete
Hey Dario,

Your familiar with CA month and year tags on the rear plate right? Do that have that in Nevada?
Yes, we have tags, (both month and year ar on one tag) and upon closer examination the tags on my plate were different than the tags of the stolen plate.

Here in Nv the tags have a unique number as well. That number is coded to a vehicle. The tag and number is difficult to see from a distance.

All the police officer saw was the plate DEALMKR. He disregarded the year of the vehicle, the type of plate it was, the year/month on the tags. He could not see the number on the tags unless he was close to them.

So many mistakes were made.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
It's interesting, coming from another country, seeing the American 'blame and sue' culture at work.

Seems it's always someones fault, and that someone should be sued.

Not sure that I've really seen the benefit of this attitude towards life - sometimes **** just happens, and it's not one person's fault, and no-one should be sued for anything......

Sometimes the right thing to do is just to try your hardest to make sure it doesn't happen again - without making a profit on the transaction...

Chris.

I hate the legal crap also but you can't change this kind of negligence without some threat of legal action. Unfortunately that is the way it is.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:16 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clearly, those cops overreacted. Clearly, they need more training.

But I think that's just the way things are now, post 9/11. Everybody is jumpy. Everybody who has anything to do with 'security' in all its guises are going ape**** these days.

I have had law enforcement types draw their weapons (but not quite point them at me, thank God) twice since 9/11... once for pulling a fast U-turn in front of the Minneapolis convention center in my van to grab a parking spot (this was 6 weeks after 9/11) and another time when I pulled off on the frontage road near the airport to tie a canoe down that was shifting on my roof (same van).

O tempora, o mores. It's a sad thing, especially when the kids have to see it.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:19 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
... but then couldn't identify a 1992 Porsche from a 2006 car. Oviously, it's up to us to help them learn....
997 has round head lights
Old 08-17-2006, 12:23 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pl
997 has round head lights
So does a 1992 964.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:24 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

It's interesting to read this thread (with its underlying "police overreacted" tone) less than two hours after I got stopped for speeding by a Texas state trooper. While I was sitting in my car waiting for the trooper to walk up to my window to write his ticket, I thought how freaking dangerous his job was. That was really my first thought. We are in the middle of nowhere, it's dark outside, and he walks up to my car without a clear knowledge of what to expect. And they do it all the time, and we all know that once in a while they get killed in the process.

Now factor the following into the equation: stolen tag, then a gun in the car. If I were the officer, I'd say "better safe than sorry". YES, I would have apologized, but I'd rather scare a child than have a bullet in my head.

I understand your anger towards the DMV, but - as others pointed out - if I were reading a newspaper article about it, my first and strongest reaction would be: who puts his daughter and his gun into the same car, within two feet from each other, and then complains about unreasonable behavior? Don't just say "its a non-issue". Think about it. To the independent observer that's a HUGE issue.

So, yes, DMV = big mistake (and go ahead screw them), but the cops: I totally get it. I'd do the same, and more often, actually. Getting killed in the line of duty IS indeed an occupational hazard as someone pointed out, but the behavior they showed reduces that occupational hazard, unfortunately this time at a cost (upset daughter). Hope she gets better soon!
Old 08-17-2006, 02:34 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

fwiw, NCIC does not allow other systems to connect to them.

FCIC (florida, still uses a BBS, for submission, then a human read and enters the search into a 'secure stand alone system'

NV DMV would need to do a manual search at $10-15 each.....

So, how many plates do they issue a year, divided by how many bodies to search NCIC, plus $15 each search, thats your net increase for tags....

BUT they SHOULD have appoligized.... no excuse there.... call internal affairs,
(but beforewarned, they'll be really looking for you then... just never speed! )

imho, the tag and car year are pretty tough to critize... can you tell a 1992 or 2002 from a 2007 S class benz? not me...

Quick Reply: I Was Taken out of My Porsche Today at Gunpoint!!