Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Was Taken out of My Porsche Today at Gunpoint!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 02:42 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys:

Thanks for the support. I am going to call DMV in Reno this morning and talk with the supervisor. I am still not a real happy camper about this and am remembering even more that went on yesterday around noon. The more I remember, the madder I am becoming. I wan't too mad yesterday, but today I am somewhat seething.

I am still trying to figure out why they issued me a stolen plate (a personazlized and brand new plate too boot).

I'm sure they will have a myriad of excuses but I won't accept them. All I know at this point is I have absolutely no culpability with this matter. Driving a couple miles over the speed limit (non-issue) and having a gun which they couldn't even see or know about had nothing to do with any of this. Heck, I was going slower than any other car on the freeway, so speed was never on their minds. And the gun was strapped inside inside a sealed fanny-pack. Complete non-issue.

All I did was follow the rules and regs of the system: ordered the plates, went to DMV when they told me they were ready, paid over $1,600 to register my vehicle and approximately $8,000 in sales taxes, then got pulled over and taken out of that vehicle at gunpoint. Then they proceeded to rifle through my car, wallet, personal ID's and whatever else thinking they had recovered a stolen 100K+ vehicle, and I was the dirtbag who stole it.

Then, after they positively ID'd me (and removed the handcuffs) they still wouldn't let me leave. They detained me knowing the car was not stolen, knowing the plates were not stolen, knowing the VIN checked out on my vehicle and knowing I had a lawful reason for carrying a weapon, just so the Supervisor (Sergeant) could talk to me. Seems he wanted to be sure I was okay. So, an illegal detention on top of it so this sarcastic smart-*** can ask me if I am okay. Wonderful. And what does this brain surgeon tell me: "You're lucky you didn't trip getting out of the car because you may have gotten shot. Or, a drunk could have been driving down the street and ran into you. Unfortunate things happen over mistakes, but luckily this all turned out okay." What a stupid, ****'d up thing to say."

My daughter did tell me last night that one of the cops told her that they would "Take her to 7-11 and buy her a Slurpee." ****in' ahole. The only reason they say that is because they are anticipating arresting the driver and towing the vehicle. Gee, I'm sorry I am and have always been a law abiding citizen and disappointed them. No slurpee, no Porsche.

Last edited by Dariof; 08-16-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:52 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Possible alternative--write letters to the appropriate people in DMV and the PD. Follow-up with letters to your local representatives as needed.

Horrible situation for your daughter to experience and I suspect that this is the source of most if not all of your anger--as it should be. You have some law enforcement connection, as you noted in your original post, and were it not for your daughter having to see this, might be a little more forgiving.

Had a similar incident occur a few years ago with my daughter in the car. And she had the same reaction as did your daughter. Though in time things all "smoothed over", just thinking about it now gets me a little hot--especially reading your post.

Please keep us posted
Old 08-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Horrible situation for your daughter to experience and I suspect that this is the source of most if not all of your anger--as it should be. You have some law enforcement connection, as you noted in your original post, and were it not for your daughter having to see this, might be a little more forgiving.
1000% correct.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:36 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't know any dad of a daughter (or son) that wouldn't be livid over something like this. Worst kept secret in the world (perhaps) is how special daughters are to us--I think we're all pretty transparent about that =)
Old 08-16-2006, 11:41 AM
CarreraS06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel very sorry for your daugther. There's is nothing worse than been pulled over by a frustrated police officer, the kind that was bullied when young, the kind that needs power to feel good about himself. I grew up in Mexico and there were times when I was stopped by the police for speeding and I swowed the officer my license thru the window, In Mexico you don't have to rolldown your window. It is soo sad but some times people in a lot of countries are more affraid of the police then from thieves. I know in the US police have more and better training but being polite and nice to the people that paid the taxes for your salary after you realize it was a mistake is common sense. If I were you I would send a letter to tv stations or news papers. (sorry for my spelling, yo hablo español)
Old 08-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 118 Posts

boy reading this story really gets me angry and frustrated. If it were me I'd be in touch with the media and my lawyer. The papers and TV would get this out to the public like it belongs.

Really sorry to hear you and expecially your little girl went through this.

Matt
Old 08-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Carrera06S

There's is nothing worse than been pulled over by a frustrated police officer, the kind that was bullied when young, the kind that needs power to feel good about himself.
You have excellent intuition.

He was the short little guy yelling the loudest. At one point when I was talking to one of the other officers (just after I had been handcuffed) frantically telling him my little girl was in the car, he yelled at me saying " You don't talk to anyone else. You talk to me...I'm handling this."

This jerk was clearly hiding behind his badge. I doubt one on one he would have any ***** at all.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:16 PM
gmoney99
Instructor

Something to consider, vent your anger towards making sure this does not happen again. I think the problem lies with the DMV, make some calls to local news, its the kind of story they would love to cover.

Bad publicity is often a good incentive for the DMW to install new checks to make sure this does not happen again. The next guy might not be so lucky.

As for the police, they used bad judgment. But for the guy behind the badge its better to error on his side if you put yourself in his shoes for a minute. Not justifying it, I would be pi$$ed off beyond measurement as you are if this happend in front of my kid.

When the cop called the plate in thats where the underlying problem occured. The DMV made a potentially disastrous error. I would expect a written apology from the highest authority in the department.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:31 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Media and attorney. Sounds like the best post so far. +1
Old 08-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Default I just spoke to the NV DMV

I just spoke to DMV.

They told me they received a call from the Henderson P.D. yesterday to discuss this. They immediately knew who I was when I called because of the prior discussion they had with NV P.D.

They told me it was not their fault either (Gee, who would have thunk they would have said that).

They said "We are not connected to the NCIC system for stolen plates, and unless a plate is reported stolen here in NV, we do not have any records." They further said, "We re-issue plates 18 monthns after they are turned in, and your plate was turned in in 2005 and then re-issued to you after 18 months."

I then told her I wanted another personalized plate free of charge, since the one I was issued was taken away from me due to no fault of mine. She said "I have to go to my supervisor for that."

Okay, so there you have it.

My next step is the local news. I am going to call the stations out here to see if anyone wants to bring this to the public's attention. There are a lot of points here. Namely, why this happened in the first place, but secondly, why they won't give me a new personalized plate free of charge.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:50 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got to say if one has a conceal carry permit in CA one has a good reason to carry a gun. I doubt his daughter had any access to it. Here in AZ you have to take courses to get one and the laws in CA I imagine it's a lot more difficult. So lets not tell the man how to care for his own children.

Cops hate guns especially in CA, they make mistakes, but they should of apologized. That would of been the decent thing to do.

I wish they would let me carry a gun anywhere in this country. I've been chased in the Salt River Canyon probably because I was driving an expensive car. I didn't stick around to find out what they wanted, but I was glad I had my 30-30. Somebody shot a women just driving down the street in Tucson yesterday. How do you defend yourself in this day and age. The outlaws have guns around here and having one, knowing how and when to use it, could save your life.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Holy ****, that story is intense. I guess those guys don't see too much action and they got themselves all worked up.

Throw their asses in the 75 precinct in East New York and let them work the 12am - 8am shift... I don't think they would last a week.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Byron_944
Pro

Wow, thats a crazy story! I agree with Riad--those guys wouldnt last a second in a NYC neighborhood. They got themselves so convinced they would catch a guy driving an expensive car that they got their panties in a wad. And its not as if you led them on a flamboyant chase, and only then did they catch up to you. As far as I know, you didnt commit any threatening actions. I think the officer's actions were completely unwarranted, especially in light of the fact that you had your 7 year old daughter in back there. Basically, they treated you like a scumbag the very moment they looked up your plate number, and were fully prepared to hall your *** to jail. Fairly despicable actions this time on behalf of the cops.

I dont agree with those saying that car thieves are dangerous and thus the policemen's actions in this situation were warranted. Like I said before, you didnt do anything that could remotely constitute a threat, besides driving with plates reported stolen on a car over ten years older than the one you were driving.

Going to the media is a nice route to take, as the police and DMV will be too pompous to act contrite on their own.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Normy
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flash1034
You guys crack me up. The cops cant win. They pull some guy over who is admitedly speeding, with a loaded handgun in his car, in a car that is reported stolen, take him into temporary custody without hurting or shooting anybody, evaluate the situation within minutes, and send him on his way when they find out the facts. Sounds like good police work to me. All you guys have to say is you'd kick thier asses, sue them, etc. Maybe you guys should reevaulate your priorites a little and come off your high chairs.

Flash
Your comic inability to place yourself in HIS shoes for a few minutes is....disturbing. I have no doubt that if this had happened to YOU and YOUR daughter that you'd be ranting up a storm on Rennlist and probably a few other places. Shame on you-

The problem I have with this is that these police pretty much ran roughshod over him when he simply asked about his daughter after being handcuffed. That's the mark of an unprofessional baboon of a cop; a decent cop would have just put him in the car and kept his mouth shut. For this reason...If I were you I definitely would go to the media and describe what happened! We pay high taxes for professional police services, and I think we deserve that professionalism. Not baboons with badges-

B safe-

N!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:25 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I hate to say this, but this is NOT an uncommon thing with police officers. Sorry to hear this happened with your daughter in the car How scary it must have been for her. I hope she is okay. Sorry I'm not licensed in CA so I could go after these bastards for you!

Quick Reply: I Was Taken out of My Porsche Today at Gunpoint!!