Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Was Taken out of My Porsche Today at Gunpoint!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

And its not as if you led them on a flamboyant chase, and only then did they catch up to you. As far as I know, you didnt commit any threatening actions.
No Byron, I did not. I was driving very conservatively. I did not threaten anyone in any way. I was compliant throughout.

My only concern and frustrations before, during and after being handcuffed was my daughter. I knew I did nothing wrong at all, but realize they did not know that. I was afraid for her.

I was just trying to caution all these over-zealous people with guns to be careful because my little girl was in the car.

It was such a helpless feeling being in the police car watching them handle (touch) my daughter.

But they did offer her a Slurpee!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When accosted by the polizei, I usually do my best to kiss their *** to avoid the very scenario you experienced. Luckily, over a thirty year span, in a half dozen or so encounters, I've only run into one bona fide thug.

The hottest hot button I have is being falsely accused. Had your situation happened to me, I probably would have run my mouth and gotten popped.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:58 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
It was such a helpless feeling being in the police car watching them handle (touch) my daughter.

But they did offer her a Slurpee!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, over-reactive police handling my daughter....compensated for with a Slurpee? You seem to have a very good attitude Dairof. Congratulations on not flying off the handle yourself and even now seeming to have a level head about you.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Vegas4
Intermediate

I live in Vegas now but lived in Henderson for a couple of years. I also have a daughter (6 years old) and can't imagine her reaction to an incident like yours. Good job maintaining your cool- it must've been extremely hard to do, especially with your daughter there.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:40 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
I just spoke to DMV.

They told me they received a call from the Henderson P.D. yesterday to discuss this. They immediately knew who I was when I called because of the prior discussion they had with NV P.D.

They told me it was not their fault either (Gee, who would have thunk they would have said that).

They said "We are not connected to the NCIC system for stolen plates, and unless a plate is reported stolen here in NV, we do not have any records." They further said, "We re-issue plates 18 monthns after they are turned in, and your plate was turned in in 2005 and then re-issued to you after 18 months."

I then told her I wanted another personalized plate free of charge, since the one I was issued was taken away from me due to no fault of mine. She said "I have to go to my supervisor for that."

Okay, so there you have it.

My next step is the local news. I am going to call the stations out here to see if anyone wants to bring this to the public's attention. There are a lot of points here. Namely, why this happened in the first place, but secondly, why they won't give me a new personalized plate free of charge.
Suggest that you turn up at the DMV in person, and have a face to face discussion rather than doing it by phone.

You'll have far better results, and reach a conclusion far quicker if you handle it personally.

No doubt they need to review their procedures before someone else gets pulled, or even shot by accident.

Suggest that should be your thrust of the discussion - and then make the point that they still owe you a personal plate.

That way you keep the moral high ground, and they really don't have any way to refuse you.

Chris.

Old 08-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm confused - the same system that was used to report that the plate was stolen, could not report that the plate was subsequently turned in?

And Dariof has nerves of steel to have dealt with this so calmly.

I hope you can somehow "get even" by getting at least one jerkoff to aplogize.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:00 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of interest - if the US police stick 5 police cars on your tail and force you out of your car at gunpoint because they think you're in a stolen car / have stolen plates - what do they do if you commit a really serious crime?????????
Old 08-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Dario, I just emailed Bernie the thread...........WOW!!!! I'm glad it turned out the way it did........but weird coincidence!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike
I'm confused - the same system that was used to report that the plate was stolen, could not report that the plate was subsequently turned in?

And Dariof has nerves of steel to have dealt with this so calmly.

I hope you can somehow "get even" by getting at least one jerkoff to aplogize.
Mike:

Great Avitar. I used to fly 727's for UA. Love your jet.

Anyway, to answer your question, that is correct. According to DMV the police use NCIC, a national reporting agency for stolen vehicles, wanted persons, registrations, etc.

DMV says they are not tied into this system so have no way of determining if a plate is stolen, whether or not they issue that plate. This is insane to me, but it is what it is.

I did call the agency that reported the plate stolen (Los ALamitos, CA). They said the car with the NV plate DEALMKR was reported stolen in 2002, and neither the plate nor the car was never reported as recovered (found).
Old 08-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Dario, I just emailed Bernie the thread...........WOW!!!! I'm glad it turned out the way it did........but weird coincidence!!!
Looking forward to seeing your group out here in November.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Dario -
Very sorry to hear your saga. I hope your daughter is doing OK,...lots and lots of reassurance.
Speaking from experience, I would let the incident go and not file any reports etc etc. I was the victim of police abuse a few years back and came up against "the code" in my efforts to expose what happened. I left a very long and detailed paper trail but by the end of two months, I had to let it go and move on. Sorry to be vague, I'm uncomfortable sharing details.
Hope you are doing well!
Old 08-16-2006, 03:19 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

being a father of 2 daughters, i feel your pain.

make sure you do a lot of talks, comforts to your daughter.

btw, is there any way they knew u had loaded weapon on your side? if they did, could be worse.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Default Well, DMV Called Me This Morning

Seems like they are getting a bit concerned.

I received a call from the supervisor of DMV. She was very nice and apologized for what happened.

I told her I wanted new personalized plates and "This time I don't want all the commotion that go with the plates." She chuckled (in a nice way) and said she would make sure the plates are thoroughly checked out before they are given to me.

I also told her I did not expect to pay any fees for the new plate because I already purchased personalized plates that were taken from me. She agreed, and asked me to fax the DMV form directly to her and she "would take care of it."

Finally, someone doing the right thing.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pl

btw, is there any way they knew u had loaded weapon on your side? if they did, could be worse.
No, they did not/could not have known. I am very careful and responsible about that aspect of my life. It was a non-issue in the scope of all this.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pl

No, they did not/could not have known.I am very careful and responsible about that aspect of my life. It was a non-issue in the scope of all this.

Quick Reply: I Was Taken out of My Porsche Today at Gunpoint!!