Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Was Taken out of My Porsche Today at Gunpoint!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 01:18 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They never apologize!

Eight of them came to my house one night, guns drawn, (3:50 AM), because they they saw a light go on and off inside, and thought the house was being burglarized.

Luckily, I called 911 to report them!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:25 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WTF, they had 5 units for a stolen car? ***** NV cops. Houston cops do that by themselves.

Glad nothing came of it, sorry about your daughter, she's probably more shaken up than anyone else was.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:36 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

An amazing story...I'm kind of torn...The cops had only the knowledge that the car might be stollen (so if it was they might have been recovering it for you). I'm not sure how you think it should have been handled (what if you were the cops?). And carrying a loaded gun...well that just adds to the drama. I'm certainly glad that you and your daughter are OK, but I think you should explain that the cops were actually doing their job..well as it sounds. Although it may have been embarrasing, I think it was handled appropriately. I will admit if it happened to me I'd be pissed at first, but after putting myself in their shoes...I might say thanks!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:39 AM
flash1034
Pro

Does it surprise anybody that Mooty is from liberal San Francisco? Define "innocent."

Flash
Old 08-16-2006, 01:53 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Easy there, Flash. Let's not resort to anything that remotely resembles bashing of any kind. There are staunch conservatives in the Bay Area as well as die hard liberals in Orange County. You can't judge a man by his place of residence.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:09 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,334 Likes on 1,973 Posts

Hey Flash1034, is that your badge number, dumb ***? The cops DID DO THEIR JOB. They were pursuing what was reported as a stolen car. They did everything right, regardless of the child in the car. When Dariof told them about the gun in the passenger seat, I'm sure they were even more on edge...

However, when they as you put it cleared it up in a few minutes, they should have been saying I'm sorry a million times. Is it their fault? NO, NO, NO. It's the DMV, HOWEVER, SIZE UP THE SITUATION. YOU CLEARLY HAVE A 7 YEAR OLD LITTLE GIRL WHO JUST SAW HER DAD GET TAKEN AWAY IN F....ING HANDCUFSS, DUMBASS. WTF, the guy was clearly innocent after they cleared it up. Go up to the little girl and tell her it was okay. Give her those stupid ***, Junior Sheriff's badge sticker or whatever. It's not their fault, but do something to rectify the situation. The last I checked they are PUBLIC SERVANTS. WE'RE THEIR CUSTOMERS. DO SOMETHING TO TRY TO MAKE IT RIGHT, regardless of whos fault it is.

Dariof, good luck to you and your little girl. I was pulled over once when the cop ran my license plate incorrectly (put in a T instead of an I on a personal plate). Came back to a Lincoln instead of a BMW. He lit me up and two other cruisers blocked me in immediately (he called in backup). I kept my hands on the steering wheel and threw the key out the window. No guns involved thankfully and they were very sorry about the mistake and I just said, "no big deal, have a nice day". Glad it didn't turn into more than that.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:11 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

That is one of the worst experiences I've ever heard regarding police intercepting an innocent driver. Your facts speak volumes, though. I understand why they were so cautious given the potential for an incident. Many police are shot by car theives every year. I'm sorry your daughter had to witness the incident. I'd have the police apologize to your daughter for the mistake. Call the dept. and request this special service be done by the chief. He'll do it, I promise. A good lesson for your daughter as well in that even the good guys make mistakes, but apologize for them too.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
WTF, they had 5 units for a stolen car? ***** NV cops. Houston cops do that by themselves.

Glad nothing came of it, sorry about your daughter, she's probably more shaken up than anyone else was.
good point. i often see 3-4 cruisers giving one ticket to one car with one driver. maybe we should hire the driver being ticketed to be the police, if he can only be detained by 3-4 officers?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:18 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wross996tt
An amazing story...I'm kind of torn...The cops had only the knowledge that the car might be stollen (so if it was they might have been recovering it for you). I'm not sure how you think it should have been handled (what if you were the cops?). And carrying a loaded gun...well that just adds to the drama. I'm certainly glad that you and your daughter are OK, but I think you should explain that the cops were actually doing their job..well as it sounds. Although it may have been embarrasing, I think it was handled appropriately. I will admit if it happened to me I'd be pissed at first, but after putting myself in their shoes...I might say thanks!
well, here is my extreme view.
law enforcement is to assume one is innocent until proven guilty.
in the process of enforcing the law, officers may be killed. however, as brutal as it is, that is an occupational hazard. no one forced them to be cops. with EVERY profession, there are dangerous. my wife is an MD, she can get TB, aids, and many other terrible life threatening diesease trying to save ppl's lives. however, she chose to take that as her profession. fire fighters running into world trade center KNOWING they may die inside. they chose to run inside b/c they took on the duty and are brave enough to be firefighter. cops chose to enforce law, and in the process they must stare death in their eye. so dont tell me that to protect their lives, they need to threaten the citizens. feel free to beat the **** out of me once proven guilty. i am 100% for capital punishment, eye for an eye, once proven guilty. until then, don't put any citizen (good or bad) in danger. when i see a cop coming my way, i want to feel safe, not wondering if they have an attitude problem or if they will draw a gun on me.

AND even IF i am guilty, i will be punished by the law, not by some random officer who takes law into his own hand or gun point.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:20 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by flash1034
Does it surprise anybody that Mooty is from liberal San Francisco? Define "innocent."

Flash
innocent in this case is to stop me, get my license, run my plate and prove the car is stolen. until then, it is my car.

furthermore, the orig poster carries a gun but has the needed lisence or permit for carrying such weapon. so until the officers can prove that the gun is illegal, it's to be assumed legal.

and btw, i was from OC before SF.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:32 AM
4thporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having a gun in the car with a 7 year old kid??? Wow... sometimes common sense isn't so common.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:33 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i am calling a spade a spade. not trying to give law enforcing officers a bad rap. my best friend from high school and to this date is a cop and his father is also a cop and they will tell you some of the things they do wrong, but can't admit publicly.

in this case, the cops didn't do the job correctly. the car with dealmkr plate was reported stolen. but the plate was NV while the poster's plate is CA. furthermore, the car is not the same year as reported. that's a big distinction. you can pull me over b/c i am asian and the police radio broadcasted an asian driving a stolen porsche on fwy xxx that happen to be on. the officer should probalby follow me, call backup, ask for more details from his sources etc.... not just start siren pull me over and point a gun at me.

back to m3pete's point, i agree in that the officer should "fix" the situation. but sometimes, these things can't be fixed. and sure, it's dmv's fault, but some digging around should have found out.

i was pulled over, told that my licsense has been suspended, and my car was impounded and towed away. i told htem it's a mistake, told officer to call dmv, to trace my lic. no no no, you are driving without license.... so, in comings my lawyer. after an exhorbitant amount of money, dmv admitted mistake, and agreed to release car. but chp has to sign off, but chp said dmv has to sign off first, dmv said chp has to sign off first, while i am paying $450/day for impound fee. 20 days gone by. i got my car back. so guess who paid my council and who paid the impound fee???? me... why me.... who's mistake was it. why do they have to jump the gun. are they in a big hurry to chase after the next murderer, why can't they call the dispatcher and find out what my lawyer was able to find out.

shouldn't they read the side of their patrol car: to protect and serve....?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:34 AM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I'd have the police apologize to your daughter for the mistake. Call the dept. and request this special service be done by the chief. He'll do it, I promise. A good lesson for your daughter as well in that even the good guys make mistakes, but apologize for them too.
Not saying they shouldn't, but don't think this will happen. I don't think I'd do anything to prolong this for the child. Let her talk about it as it comes up, but I'd avoid anything to continue drawing it out.

On another note, my parents live in Green Valley and back when my brother was in high school, he was pulled over because his car and someone with his appearance (kid with baseball cap) matched some stolen car and driver that the cops were looking for. Let him go at 11:55 p.m. and then challenged him to make it home by midnight curfew.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:38 AM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by OCBen
But what the hell are you doing carrying a concealed loaded firearm under your seat with your daughter in the back, even if you do have a permit? I would never do that, but that's just me. I can see why they got amped up when you told them about the piece.
Agree 100%
Old 08-16-2006, 02:39 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I understand why they were so cautious given the potential for an incident. Many police are shot by car theives every year. .
oh, c'mon.
i am not gonna treat you b/c you might give me TB, says the doc.

sorry, i can't get in the building to pull you out from the fire b/c the beam is about to fall on me, says the fire fighter.

geeze, i am not taking this hop, b/c i may be shot down by the enemy, says the navy pilot.

i am not doing INDY 500, b/c it's an oval, speeds are too fast, and i dont like left turns, says the racer.

every job has harzards. most involve death of some sort. i admire those who serve, who protect and give their lives for those they serve. but being cautious is not the same as being hostile.

Quick Reply: I Was Taken out of My Porsche Today at Gunpoint!!