Sponsored by:

couple questions about PSE

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 10:53 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default couple questions about PSE

ive decided to go with the PSE. does the PSE kit come with the exhaust tips? is that included in the price of about $1800 that i see online at various retaliers?
also, i have contacted both local dealers in atlanta. both want $1100 for the install (10hrs on install with electronics with chrono pkg)!
i have also contacted an independent shop (performance imports in atlanta). they say the install will be $300 with electronics. is there any disadvantage with not going to the dealer? warranty issues in the future? would you let an independent shop take the car apart to install the elctronics for the PSE?
thanks.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:59 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can install them without the electronics. Once you hear it without them then you'll want to disconnect them anway.

Those prices are in line with other posts I've seen here, except the $300 with electronics hookup. I'd keep those guys away from your electronics if you value your warranty.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:09 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Yes, the tips come with the package (PSE has two outlet pipes on each side, which requires new tips).
Old 07-25-2006, 01:22 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

What's nice about the Porsche Sport Exhaust is that it is a Porsche design and the quad tips are authentic,--not the simulated quad tips found on the stock 997S. The quality is high and the sound is substantially better than the stock.

Don't be tempted by the aftermarket world of exhausts who claim they can add a quick 20-25hp to the 997S by buying their set up. Ask for that in writing, and subject to a before and after dyno set up that you are present to. The aftermarket guys don't have to follow the sound restrictions that the auto manufacturers have to, and thus may reduce some of the restrictions inside and back pressure. That, of course, will gain some HP but it's nothing like they will claim. I prefer the electronic solution of the PSE in that there are times I just want to shut the thing up. But, that may be as I have a cabrio. But even with the top up and during a long drive even the biggest Porsche fanatic may finally cry "uncle." I like the flexibility.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:09 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Respectfully I disagree - I have AWE cats and exhaust and I would never want to turn it off. From a power point of view, who knows. My question - why spend more money on PSE when you can get AWE, Tubi, Fabspeed, etc. with better sound and possibly better performance?

Originally Posted by Edgy01
What's nice about the Porsche Sport Exhaust is that it is a Porsche design and the quad tips are authentic,--not the simulated quad tips found on the stock 997S. The quality is high and the sound is substantially better than the stock.

Don't be tempted by the aftermarket world of exhausts who claim they can add a quick 20-25hp to the 997S by buying their set up. Ask for that in writing, and subject to a before and after dyno set up that you are present to. The aftermarket guys don't have to follow the sound restrictions that the auto manufacturers have to, and thus may reduce some of the restrictions inside and back pressure. That, of course, will gain some HP but it's nothing like they will claim. I prefer the electronic solution of the PSE in that there are times I just want to shut the thing up. But, that may be as I have a cabrio. But even with the top up and during a long drive even the biggest Porsche fanatic may finally cry "uncle." I like the flexibility.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:32 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Respectfully I disagree - I have AWE cats and exhaust and I would never want to turn it off. From a power point of view, who knows. My question - why spend more money on PSE when you can get AWE, Tubi, Fabspeed, etc. with better sound and possibly better performance?
Better sound is subjective. Better performance is not measurably reliable, and is therefore subjective. The ability to turn it on or off is factual.

I prefer my decisions (subjective) be made on factual information.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:35 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with Dan. On long drives I find the switch comes in handy to quiet things down a bit. However, my wife is usually next to me and she is the one making the request for quiet. On the other hand if you don't have a switch, then the request for quiet can't be made and you get to enjoy the music from the engine .....
Old 07-25-2006, 02:42 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

how does the sound in quiet mode on the PSE compare to the stock exhaust? similar? or is it still louder? and if the car is at idle and you turn on PSE, is it audibly noticeable or only when u get above a certain rpm?
Old 07-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

I know its a bit more money but for peace of mind I decided to go with my dealer supply and install pre delivery (the cars gets to me on thursday..hooray!). My dealer in Atlanta quoted $3300 for the complete package ($1800 for PSE). Pricey but warranty is safe and the dealer service is terrific.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:57 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suncoast just told me $2890 plus 6 percent tax.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:01 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
how does the sound in quiet mode on the PSE compare to the stock exhaust? similar? or is it still louder? and if the car is at idle and you turn on PSE, is it audibly noticeable or only when u get above a certain rpm?
In quiet mode it sounds about the same, but others have said it is louder. At idle when you turn it on it is noticeable and sounds great.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

One man's noise is another's symphony. But power can be measured, but not easily. Sounds can, however, be easily measured. I have the test equipment for that,--will do it sometime and post it. Joe,--do you have the PSE? I need to find someone nearly with the stock exhaust.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:46 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Originally Posted by ohsixx
Suncoast just told me $2890 plus 6 percent tax.
that seems to be about the going rate at the dealers.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Installed at the factory (with full electrics) it was $2400. So that's not as bad as many.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:06 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Haku
I know its a bit more money but for peace of mind I decided to go with my dealer supply and install pre delivery (the cars gets to me on thursday..hooray!). My dealer in Atlanta quoted $3300 for the complete package ($1800 for PSE). Pricey but warranty is safe and the dealer service is terrific.

went by hennessy today and looks like i saw your car

Quick Reply: couple questions about PSE