Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple questions about PSE

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:38 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Hey, that's MY dealer too! I wonder if they've sold my 996 yet?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:58 PM
rmira
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
I know its a bit more money but for peace of mind I decided to go with my dealer supply and install pre delivery (the cars gets to me on thursday..hooray!). My dealer in Atlanta quoted $3300 for the complete package ($1800 for PSE). Pricey but warranty is safe and the dealer service is terrific.

That's about what the 'other' dealer in Atlanta charged. Did your dealer tell you about how the PSE switches to the quiet mode between 30-45 MPH? When they told me, I was going to cancel the order, they offered to add a mod that would defeat this 'feature'. You might want to ask them about this.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:56 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rmira
That's about what the 'other' dealer in Atlanta charged. Did your dealer tell you about how the PSE switches to the quiet mode between 30-45 MPH? When they told me, I was going to cancel the order, they offered to add a mod that would defeat this 'feature'. You might want to ask them about this.
The "mod" is simply unplugging the only quick connect orange cable visible in the engine bay or robbonds has an alternate method that accomplishes the same thing.

Turning the Sport mode button ON (or tailpipes button if you don't have Sports Chrono) you only get about 40% of what PSE has to offer. You've gotta unplug it to hear what it really can do. Once you do you will be in love!
Old 07-27-2006, 02:39 AM
CButler
Instructor

Default My dealer, too!

EOM

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Hey, that's MY dealer too! I wonder if they've sold my 996 yet?
Old 07-27-2006, 11:36 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmira
This sounds different than what ronmart is talking about. The only mods I have heard so far go from the default setting (on/off via button, off between 30-45 mph) to always on. If there was a way to still have the on/off functionality of the button, while defeating the speed restriction, I would sign up for this in a heartbeat.

Part of the reason for choosing PSE is the ability to defeat it when *I* want to, not when travelling at certain speeds.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:15 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
The "mod" is simply unplugging the only quick connect orange cable visible in the engine bay or robbonds has an alternate method that accomplishes the same thing.

Turning the Sport mode button ON (or tailpipes button if you don't have Sports Chrono) you only get about 40% of what PSE has to offer. You've gotta unplug it to hear what it really can do. Once you do you will be in love!
I agree - the only way I've determined to eliminate the "quiet mode" in that 3k to 4k RPM band is to disable the PSE alotgether either with the electrical plug or the vacuum mod.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:50 PM
rmira
Instructor

Originally Posted by gravedgr
This sounds different than what ronmart is talking about. The only mods I have heard so far go from the default setting (on/off via button, off between 30-45 mph) to always on. If there was a way to still have the on/off functionality of the button, while defeating the speed restriction, I would sign up for this in a heartbeat.

Part of the reason for choosing PSE is the ability to defeat it when *I* want to, not when travelling at certain speeds.
The above mod was done for me at Jim Ellis Porsche when they installed the PSE on my 997 C2. Give Dave Mann at 770-216-7561 a call, I'm sure he'll remember, it was only done a few weeks ago.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:44 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, PSE isn't speed sensitive, it is RPM sensitive. When connected and turned on, anything you hear after 4000 RPM's is PSE without the interior tailpipes opened because the valve is closed. Below 4000 it appears to have its own algorithm that is pressure based where there is on a small window where it is mostly open.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:56 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a super-easy hack on Renntec.org.
Here's the link:http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...70&hl=pse+hack. You will need to be a member. But it works great. It took me two minutes to do and I am mechanically challenged. The hack is for the 996 PSE so I am not sure its the same for a 997. But it involved removing the PSE relay that lives by the clutch area, opening it up and snipping the correct wire. Once done the cut out at 25-45 mph is removed, yet your dash switch is still able to silence PSE back and forth. Easiest hack I have done and does not require a trip to the dealer.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:16 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chago996
Here's the link:http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...70&hl=pse+hack. You will need to be a member. But it works great. It took me two minutes to do and I am mechanically challenged. The hack is for the 996 PSE so I am not sure its the same for a 997. But it involved removing the PSE relay that lives by the clutch area, opening it up and snipping the correct wire. Once done the cut out at 25-45 mph is removed, yet your dash switch is still able to silence PSE back and forth. Easiest hack I have done and does not require a trip to the dealer.
Maybe this is what the dealer did? I'm going to sign my paperwork soon, so I'll ask my dealer (Hennessy) - if they don't know, I'll call the guy at Jim Ellis.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Recall how the PSE is supposed to not be louder at a certain speed band (I think it was something like 50-80 km) to comply with Swiss nopise abatement rules.

I swear I could never tell the difference when in that speed range. (And that was in Switzerland!)
Old 07-27-2006, 05:27 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i can defintely tell when it gets quiet - someone should try that hack
Old 07-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

In my friends car , we installed a two -way switch in the wire from the front switch to the solenoid valve.
In pos. 1 the car works exactly per factory setting.
In pos. 2 the PSE is ALWAYS on , regardless of the front switch .

Basically , it interrupts the electric power to the solenoid valve , which closes the valve , which discontinues the vacuum to the exhaust dampers and they stay open .

At first we thought about mounting the switch right under the PSE switch , but then he decided on the ashtray since he does not smoke. I made a plastic plug which fits into the ashtray and is easily removed if desired.
My PSE has finally arrived and will be installed next week at Brandywine Pa.
( Total install quote , with controls = $2100)
I plan on putting the switch into my ashtray as well , except I will add a little red LED to indicate whenever the factory cut out occurs . ( I like little gizmos lol )

Last edited by Rolf Stumberger; 03-17-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Mine was just as loud either below or above 50 kph. Maybe that was because it knew I was only in Austria and the noise restriction wasn't needed? Man--these things are SMART!

ROLF,--I had the similar idea. Nice job.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:35 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by chago996
I recall reading somewhere that the wiring/controls for PSE on the 996 and 997 are very different and that the 996 hack will not work for the 997. Can someone confirm? Thanks.

Quick Reply: couple questions about PSE