Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT I need watch advise, best watch $2-3,000?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default OT I need watch advise, best watch $2-3,000?

Hi,

Sorry for the OT post, but given that there have been a few posts, I thought I'd ask this question.

Today, out of the blue, I got a check in the mail for $2,000. An old favorite aunt of mine died, and left all the nieces/nephews each 2K. At first I thought I'd pay bills, then buy some car things, but after thinking about, in no time the money would be gone, and I'm not sure that honors my aunt. So, thinking what I'd like that would make me remember her, I thought I'd buy a watch. I want a nice one.

I own several Cartier's, nothing more. I have average to slightly small wrists, and actually don't like huge watches. Medium sized, tasteful, not gaudy.

I was thinking of the Cartier Tank Francaise, large auto, or the Omega Constellation. Both in steel.

I'm willing to go to around 3K. Can I please get some advice on what would be a cool, quality watch? And if you don't mind, where to buy it?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Blue
Old 07-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

60 Swatches?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:32 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

hard to find a good new watch for 2k.
if you put up 4k, you can get a new submariner, explorer, explorer 2.
nothing fancy, just classic and do retain value.

for 4k you are also in range for panerai.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:49 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For $2K to $3K, you can get a quality mechanical watch with a self winding movement. Don't get quartz. You should be able to get a well known brand for this price. Do some internet research and don't be in a hurry. Stay away from the retailers that remove the serial numbers, it destroys the warranty. List price is a fiction, most of the time. You should also be able to get a good discount with cash. I got a Breitling listed at $4550 for $3700, including tax.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:34 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Bluehinder,

Couple of questions for you that will greatly help me, help you to pick a watch. At the $3k price range you can afford either, a very nice quartz watch (battery operated and accurate) or an entry level automatic watch (wound by hand movement and less acurate but more collectible)..

Since you already own Cartiers (which are very nice jewelry watches) Maybe I can convince you to go for something a little sportier to mix up the collection. You are out of the price range for a Rolex (the quintisential sport watch) but you can still be very satisfied with some very nice, OMEGA'S, Breitlings, etc.
Could I make the suggestion that you get an OMEGA, Speedmaster Pro. It's the "moon watch" because was what NASA picked for the first watch to go to the moon.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...en-us%26sa%3DN

Also, if you have decided to get a sport watch, don't rule out a quartz. You get a lot more bang for your buck and since you want something you will use and wear, there's nothing wrong with a battery operated.

I just bought this watch (picture below) for about $3K. I love it. It's got a chrono, gmt, etc.

Of course I will push you towards Stainless Steel watches. And ballpark, a bracelet (stainless steel) costs about $1000 more than a watch with say a leather strap. So, you can spend the money on the watch and always add a bracelet later.

Please let us know a little more about what you might want and we can certainley help you into a great watch at that price and maybe even help you find the right person to buy it from. Most watch guys like myself know where to get 35% off retail on most brand watches and still have it authorized from the manufacturer.

B
Old 07-21-2006, 11:44 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a Panerai.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:04 AM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found it very difficult to negotiate the selling price of my Rolex. All the retailers gave me the line about Rolex not allowing it.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:25 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Panerai, limited production watches with the most incredible winding motor on the planet. These watches are incredible. Like the Rolex, there is NO negotiation, but maybe free shipping. Check 'em out...
Old 07-22-2006, 12:36 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

While it may be a bit big for you, the Omega Speedmaster X-33 is titanium and very light. Like the older Speedmaster Moonwatch, it is NASA certified and it is the watch worn on the Space Shuttle. It is incredibly accurate, easy to read at a glance, and has many chronograph and countdown timing features.

Alan
Old 07-22-2006, 12:39 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not a big fan of rolex. always seemed like the corvette of watches...a dime a dozen - unless you're talking Daytona...

i bought myself an omega speedmaster day/date for my 30th birthday - i love it and wear it every day. nothin' like the feel of an automatic.

4-0 is coming up - probably a cartier roadster.

Last edited by washington951; 07-22-2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:01 AM
Bullet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You already have numerous watches. Why not spend the money on the PDE in Alabama? While it may seem frivolous, you will develop driving skills and insight that will last you a lifetime. Who knows, may save your life . . .
Old 07-22-2006, 01:30 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by Lori
I found it very difficult to negotiate the selling price of my Rolex. All the retailers gave me the line about Rolex not allowing it.

I got 10% off my Rolex from a local jeweler without even asking for it.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:00 AM
drr
Intermediate

IMHO in that price range you will be limited to a lower end automatiic watch. Not that this is bad, but, they can get very pricey Patek and Lange for example.
You may choose to look at Oris who makes a wide variety of watches that will fit into your price range. Others to examine are MontBlanc or you may find a deal on a Glashutte Senator at about 3K.

Another to examine is Anonimo. They make some interesting pieces. They use a number of the former Panerai staff. Panerai moved to Switzerland (bought by Swatch ?) from Milan and that staff carried on. (www.anonimousa.com)

Also, Chopard Mille Miglia (named after the Italian Race of course!) http://www.atlantictime.com/chopard-...ches-4316.html

I am sure there are many more!

Another expensive habit --- Good Luck-----
Old 07-22-2006, 02:25 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For $2k - $3k - Breitling. http://www.breitling.com/en

Extraordinary quartz, certified Chronometer.

Or, a bitchin' Tag Link.

But, honestly, give a 40mm diameter watch a chance. The size is perfect for the spot at the wrist between the ulna and the radius. Once it's correctly sized it is loose yet does not move.

I would not go back to even the medium Cartier Tank that I used to have now that I know the feel of a 40mm watch. Except, the Cartier did seem to catch the female eye.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:38 AM
Snoopy
Racer

Bought my husband an Omega automatic movement for our first anniversary. It is the Aqua Terra. I got him the largest size because he's a big guy, but I think there are various sizes. He likes it a lot and it's a very nice, classic watch.

Quick Reply: OT I need watch advise, best watch $2-3,000?