Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT I need watch advise, best watch $2-3,000?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 12:24 AM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u can get a ss rolex or cartier. the cartier is a nice watch, the money clips they will polish for free not sure about the watches...
Old 09-20-2006, 03:45 AM
narbo
Track Day

Default Advice

IMO B-Line is giving you good advice. The selection of watches are great, but the icing is when you buy a watch that appreciates every year. Having many watches I have only really seen a depreciation on the Tag. Rolex will always appreceite (some faster than others).

I think the Chopard is an excellent choice and is one that I am considering for my next purchase. Its between that and the Cartier Roadster Chrono.

Last edited by narbo; 09-20-2006 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-20-2006, 06:45 AM
W211
Racer

Lightbulb My vote goes to the Rolex Air-King

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Hi,

Sorry for the OT post, but given that there have been a few posts, I thought I'd ask this question.

Today, out of the blue, I got a check in the mail for $2,000. An old favorite aunt of mine died, and left all the nieces/nephews each 2K. At first I thought I'd pay bills, then buy some car things, but after thinking about, in no time the money would be gone, and I'm not sure that honors my aunt. So, thinking what I'd like that would make me remember her, I thought I'd buy a watch. I want a nice one.

I own several Cartier's, nothing more. I have average to slightly small wrists, and actually don't like huge watches. Medium sized, tasteful, not gaudy.

I was thinking of the Cartier Tank Francaise, large auto, or the Omega Constellation. Both in steel.

I'm willing to go to around 3K. Can I please get some advice on what would be a cool, quality watch? And if you don't mind, where to buy it?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Blue
If it was my money, I would just get the Rolex Air-King Oyster Perpetual. Simple, classical, durable and functional. No hassle as you can buy new at around $2k with full warranty.

http://www.rolex.com/en/collections/...h_airking.html
Old 09-21-2006, 05:52 PM
james4513
Intermediate

I'm sorry - I have a hard time understanding why anyone would spend $3K on a watch. Don't you carry a cell phone?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:04 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by james4513
I'm sorry - I have a hard time understanding why anyone would spend $3K on a watch. Don't you carry a cell phone?
Some people have a hard time understanding why we spend 100K on a car. What's your point?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:20 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by james4513
If I apply your thinking to automobiles, why aren't you driving a Toyota Tercel? Ok, in fairness, you might argue that you enjoy the performance the Porsche delivers. If that's the case, why not drive a Z06 Corvette? The performance is better in nearly every category and the cost is much less.

Some people enjoy the engineering, attention to detail, craftsmanship and appearance of a Porsche even though it could ultimately be defined as just "transportation". The same is true with watches. A fine timepiece is an engineering marvel, often taking several craftsmen months to produce a single watch, polishing and finishing the smallest parts, many that can not even be seen. Fine watchmaking is an artform and fine watches are art.

If you want to really lose your mind, go to www.feelgoodwatches.com and take a look at some of the incredible watches in Lyle's inventory. There is a huge market for high quality, often collectible timepieces. Some would say they are "functional art".

MC

Quick Reply: OT I need watch advise, best watch $2-3,000?