Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT I need watch advise, best watch $2-3,000?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 12:33 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by gmoney99
Ive actually met the guy behind Kobold...strange fellow. Hene in Shadyside (Pittsburgh) is a dealer and he sometimes works behind the counter - cant beat that for knowledge though, buying off the guy who designed it. Love the bracelets on them, very sporty, good weight. I just have a hard time justifying the $$$ he charges personally. You can also read that as just too scared to take a chance on the investment in a little known brand...of course that could be a good thing down the road.
The company and Mike Kobold were recently written up in a watch magazine where they evaluated the movement and the materials and concluded it was a fantastic watch. I like unique watches that are not common but are made of high quality materials. This is a flyer and feel confident in the movements. I understand your position, though.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:34 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Nice piece Icon. Very unique look to it, rose gold I believe. Movement? Automatic? Price?
Old 08-19-2006, 01:20 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

That is a real classy piece. I'm going to check into them when I have less than three on my buy list. I really like the quality. If he makes his own pieces, that is real unique. Generally, they import the pieces and build the watches here, or wherever their shop is.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:08 AM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up a Rolex Submariner 16663 w/ blue dial late yesterday afternoon. I had planned to buy it for Xmas, but decided to get it early because of the upcoming Rolex price increase.

The watch matches up well with my 997.

Last edited by ohsixx; 09-11-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:11 PM
ace4n6
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Consider one of these three great automatics:
1. Panerai - as has been suggested
2. Porsche Design- many from which to choose
3. Meistersinger - only available through wwwWatchbuys.com, this is a distinctive German-built wath, low volume watch with just one hand
Let us know what you choose,
Harry
Old 09-11-2006, 09:32 AM
soldmystang
Advanced

Originally Posted by LVDell
geez! could it BE and further from me? I will proably stick to east coast dealers. I plan to drive home whatever I buy and I will NEVER EVER make that cross country trip again. I did Vegas to Carolina and that sucked bad.
Leith has a 04 on the lot. haven't looked at it in person yet.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:58 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb Tag Heuer "Carrera" the re-issue.

Mannnn.... I didn't read all the 5 pages of suggesstions so I am sorry if some wise-guy have already mentioned, but this is a Carrera forum; right? US$1,800 all-day-long;

Old 09-11-2006, 10:14 AM
grizzy
Instructor

i bot this 2 yrs ago-- its a great complement to the car--Mike
Old 09-11-2006, 11:54 AM
tocho1
Instructor

Tag Heuer Carrera or Omega Speedmaster, both chronos and easy within your range.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:52 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

I've got a Tag Heuer Monaco McQueen with the stainless bracelet - love it!!
Old 09-13-2006, 02:54 AM
golfman
Instructor

I collect watches and I have over 25 different watches right now. I would say for the price point you want to be in I would go with maybe a raymond weil parsifal watch. They are about 2300.00. Great watch has a skelton back on it. Maybe a tag heuer would also be nice. You could think rolex but they will be more than 3,000 dollers. If you want a really good exotic type watch I would go with a patek phillipe or maybe a zenith. (no not the tv guys) Zenith designed the movement in the rolex daytona up until three years ago. Now rolex does it in house. A lange and sohne watches are great but over 10,000 dollars. One of my personal favorites is the long island model by frank muller. Once again over 10,000 dollars. The patek will be over 12,000. The zenith models are about 8500.00. Go to tourneau in manhatten if you are there or visit there website they are the largest watch dealer in the usa.
Good luck.
Nothing better than a fine watch and a porsche.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:43 AM
Friday
Intermediate

ULYSSE NARDIN
Old 09-15-2006, 10:11 AM
The B
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Holy crap! What happened to your font size? Or is it just my computer?

Anyway, whatta ya mean the watch is getting a little common place these days? not's like there is a large demographic that can purchase on of these watches.

Your right...but with west coast jewlery chains like Ben Bridge offering free 1 year financing on all new and used Rolex my employees are buying them.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:21 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 207 Posts

Cut to the chase and get a pre-owned Rolex Submariner.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:23 AM
108.5dba-static
Instructor

I have a few watches myself including
Rolex GMT Bi-Metal (1979)
Rolex Sub (1982) - my daily wearer.
Rolex Silver Back (1932)
Rolex Bi-Metal 6002 (1960 - same year as me)
SS Franck Muller Casablanca
SS Paneria PAM002 (one of 750)
Brietling Bi-Metal Navitimer
Omega SeaMaster Cosmic 2000 (my 18th Birthday present from my Dad.)

My wife also has couple Rolexes including a Bi-Metal Midsize Datejust + a couple of Cartiers inlcuding a Bi-Metal santos which she does the gardening in

If I were you I would buy USED and get the most bang for the buck. Personally I would go for Rolex if you do not want anything to big. Panerai are typically massive as are some of the Omegas and Breitlings. NEVER waste your money on watches from companies who make shoes, suits, pens or lighters, with the exception of Cartier and then only stick to the mechanical models. Ditto companies who buy in cheap movements and then add the Bling.

Try an buy models that have been in prodiuction for years and have not changed. To many makers change models every year, so their watches date very quickly. The Rolex GMT first saw the light of day in the mid 50's and has hardly changed. Ditto the Sub. My 1982 sub is almost identical to the current model.

One maker well looking at are IWC, these guys made a lot of the Porsche Design watches and are excellent, they also made watches for the RAF and Germany Airforce during the WW2. Classic watches and ageless.

Ebay is an great place to find watches, providing you buy from a dealer (people selling more than one watch), who have lots of good feedback or that they have all the paperwork with them. Do not buy just because it has a box as people fake them as well. Timezone and other internate sites are also worth looking at.

Also if you buy used and you end-up hating your watch (it can happen), chances are you will be able to sell it for what you paid. Try this with some new Tags, Bell and Ross, etc, and you could lose 50% over what you paid as soon as you leave the shop.

Finally be very careful buying Heuers like the Monaco. The orginals are worth $1000's. Tag then produced a special limited edition of about 1000 watches - also worth 1000's, they then did another limited edition of about 5000, still worth money. Finally when all these were sold they just started making them in there thousands. Just make sure you get the right one.

all IMHO.

Good luck in your search

Andy

Quick Reply: OT I need watch advise, best watch $2-3,000?