Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT I need watch advise, best watch $2-3,000?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:04 AM
mdonline
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billco
I know it's more than you planned to spend, but if I were you, I would do what ever possible to step up to a Rolex Stainless Steel Submariner, even I you have to get a slightly used one. This is the coolest, most versatile time piece you could ever own. You can wear this watch with a tux, or a swim suite. Take proper care of it and you can pass it down to your grandson. I own a dozen great watches and find myself wearing the Sub far more than any of the others. Good luck! Let us know what you end up with.
either that or the Rolex Sea Dweller. I have a very small wrist and it actually makes my wrist look bigger. The Sea Dweller is bulkier and heavier than the Submariner and it feels great on my wrist. I pretty much wear it 24/7 and hardly notice it (except when I check the time). It is great for the gym as well as $1000 a plate fundraiser. Not too flashy in the gym (most people think it's fake). It is hip, young, sporty with suit and tie.

You can get a used one for around 3k. It will last forever and will never go down in value.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:22 PM
nielsll
3rd Gear

Check out a Sinn. High quality German watches at reasonable prices. Read about them on TimeZone.com
Old 08-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both a Seamaster Pro (titanium/gold) and a GMT II (Stainless steel). They cost about the same, but you get a lot more watch with the Omega. I like wearing the Omega better, but I'm also very fond of the Rolex. Both would be slightly higher than your price range, but you would be very happy with either.

If you like watches and are massing a collection, you need to have a Rolex. Yeah, people knock Rolexes (or Roli ??) because they are so publicized, but guess what - there aren't many watches out there that hold their value like Rolexes do. In many cases, you can generally sell your Rolex that is ~ 10 years old for roughly the same price you bought it at. You can't do this for many other watches.

Stay away from Tag (I have one too). It is a 'lower-end' watch that isn't as timeless as some of the other brands that have been discussed here.

Just my two cents...
Old 08-18-2006, 03:01 PM
timnitti
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jpcourt
How about a TAG Carrera, about $2200 and a very nice watch for the money.
I agree. I just picked one up a few months ago and it's a very nice everyday watch - pretty cheap for an automatic too. I didn't have to push the store too hard to get well below $2,200.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Go browse the "sales corner" (under the community tab) on www.timezone.com. Everything will be under $5000, many in your price range, and you can get more bang for your buck.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:39 PM
gmoney99
Instructor

Breitling IMO. Plenty of dealers will give you 25% off when you ask which for $3k covers a lot of watches. Its a classic watch, great movements, fantastic bracelets and leather straps. Good value for money.

Avoid Rolex. Its the watch for people who want a nice one and one only, they are a dime a dozen, or its for corporate 25 year anniversary handout. Not many multiple Rollie owners unless they are Daytona enthusiasts.

Specifically I would suggest the Cronomat Evolution. I have referred two persons to this watch as their first watch and they have fell in love with them. Blue dial is a looker.

But as for spending the money? I think a watch is a great idea, it can be handed down in your aunts name generations to come.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:40 PM
gmoney99
Instructor

oh, Kenjo in NYC, they have two locations. Call and ask for Sec Diaz, tell him you were referred to by a timezone member and ask him for his best price on the model you desire. They carry many high end brands starting with Breitling. Buying out of state saves you tax also. He is an authorized dealer.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:41 PM
gmoney99
Instructor

Originally Posted by nielsll
Check out a Sinn. High quality German watches at reasonable prices. Read about them on TimeZone.com
2nd that. Been kicking tires on a Sinn watch to add to my collection. Relatively cheap.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Preeble
Stay away from Tag (I have one too). It is a 'lower-end' watch that isn't as timeless as some of the other brands that have been discussed here.
Lower End? Not sure I would call a TAG a lower end watch. I have had my S/EL for over 10 years now and it is worn everyday. Not a single scratch on the sapphire crystal face and I am very rough with it. For roughly $1500 it is a great watch and have NEVER in 10+ years had a problem with it.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2006, 03:59 PM
gmoney99
Instructor

Tag is definately not lower end, but perhaps lower end of the luxury watch line. Its the result of a marketing driven brand unfortunately and over produced and sold in every corner of the mall. My first watch was a Tag, still have it. Never wear it.

I see your looking for a GT3. McKenna has a 996, 5k miles, roll cage, asking 90k. Drove it yesterday. Paint protection installed also all around. Just an FYI. They will more than likley deal on it.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I meant to say that Tag Heuer is a lower end watch than a Rolex, Omega, Breitling or Panerai and I think that you will have a tough time finding anyone that would state otherwise. Tags are very nice watches, but are definitely not in the same league as those other brands (and the pricing reflects that).

And the comment of Rolexes being a dime a dozen? Perhaps, but so are boxsters and 996s. Would that stop me from getting one? No.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gmoney99
Tag is definately not lower end, but perhaps lower end of the luxury watch line. Its the result of a marketing driven brand unfortunately and over produced and sold in every corner of the mall. My first watch was a Tag, still have it. Never wear it.

I see your looking for a GT3. McKenna has a 996, 5k miles, roll cage, asking 90k. Drove it yesterday. Paint protection installed also all around. Just an FYI. They will more than likley deal on it.
Where is McKenna?
Old 08-18-2006, 04:46 PM
gmoney99
Instructor

SoCal
Old 08-18-2006, 04:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

geez! could it BE and further from me? I will proably stick to east coast dealers. I plan to drive home whatever I buy and I will NEVER EVER make that cross country trip again. I did Vegas to Carolina and that sucked bad.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:50 PM
gmoney99
Instructor

Originally Posted by Preeble
And the comment of Rolexes being a dime a dozen? Perhaps, but so are boxsters and 996s. Would that stop me from getting one? No.
There are many, many great choices in watches some with better movements, better looks for a lot less money vs. offerings from Rolex.

Cant say that about the 911 or Boxster when it comes to shopping for a mid or rear engine car.

Quick Reply: OT I need watch advise, best watch $2-3,000?