Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT I need watch advise, best watch $2-3,000?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:22 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a local jeweler (who is an authorized dealer) match an internet price on a Tag.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:29 PM
vtach88
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sell a couple Cartier's and move up in the watch world with a hand made gem from Jaeger-LeCoultre. Truly classy, relatively uncommon, and will satisfy most connoisseurs.....
Old 07-22-2006, 02:23 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Panerai, limited production watches with the most incredible winding motor on the planet. These watches are incredible. Like the Rolex, there is NO negotiation, but maybe free shipping. Check 'em out...
SilverSteel, if you can't get a discount on Rolex, who every you are buying from is ripping you off. I can get 30% discount on Rolex all day long from authorized AD's. Panerai's are a little harder because most dealers do not have a large quantities of stock. Having said that, unless it is a Panerai "SPECIAL EDITION" you can still get 10% off from the right AD.

Just stop buying watches from Tourneau and you will stop getting raped. Always buy your watch out of state to avoid on taxes as well.
It's watch buying 101..
B
Old 07-22-2006, 03:07 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This site has an excellent selection of new and pre-owned high quality time pieces at exceptional discounts relative to full retail. Plus, if you don't live in Texas you probably won't pay sales tax.

http://www.tic-tock.com/
Old 07-22-2006, 03:27 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For sport watch, Omega Seamaster (New) or Rolex Sub (a pre own one w warranty or get deep discount).

For dress watch, Cartier.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:14 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Hi,

Sorry for the OT post, but given that there have been a few posts, I thought I'd ask this question.

Today, out of the blue, I got a check in the mail for $2,000. An old favorite aunt of mine died, and left all the nieces/nephews each 2K. At first I thought I'd pay bills, then buy some car things, but after thinking about, in no time the money would be gone, and I'm not sure that honors my aunt. So, thinking what I'd like that would make me remember her, I thought I'd buy a watch. I want a nice one.

I own several Cartier's, nothing more. I have average to slightly small wrists, and actually don't like huge watches. Medium sized, tasteful, not gaudy.

I was thinking of the Cartier Tank Francaise, large auto, or the Omega Constellation. Both in steel.

I'm willing to go to around 3K. Can I please get some advice on what would be a cool, quality watch? And if you don't mind, where to buy it?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Blue
Late model Rolex Explorer 1 lightly used can be had. Much more discrete than virtually anything else being spoken of. No date, so if you feel the need for that you need something else. The reason I mention this one however is because I think it looks very nice on smaller wrists. Easily readable and recognizable as Rolex, but not a confusing function laden dial like many chronos.

If you really like a chrono, check out one of the Chopard Mile Miglias. I have the set and these watches have many positive attributes;
a) easy reading and functioning dial
b) nice size without being too big
c) great band. takes sweat and elements and still looks nice. the stitching matches the specific face color in the colored ones. I believe the black one can be had with a replica tire tread on the band
d) incredible timepiece. all five of mine keep quartz-like time but are fine automatics with see through (sapphire) backs
e) rugged. i race, play golf, tennis and they dont miss a beat
f) very water resistant. most chronos say they are, but in truth you cant go out in more than a rainstorm with them
g) personal prefs here, but I think they are one of the prettiest chronos out there in that price class.
h) date, though I think that is unnecessary on a chrono. this is at least a small one hat minimally detracts from the beauty.

OK, I'll shut up now...
Old 07-22-2006, 09:55 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
hard to find a good new watch for 2k.
if you put up 4k, you can get a new submariner, explorer, explorer 2.
nothing fancy, just classic and do retain value.

for 4k you are also in range for panerai.
Yeah - there arent any good watches for 2k..........
Old 07-23-2006, 12:50 AM
SYMA
Pro

Thumbs up Panerai

Here is my 2 month old Panerai Luminor Marina Logo.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2006, 11:48 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

If you really want to stay under $3K I think people who are recommending Rolex or Panerai are a little off base-- new models of those are between $4-5K. Plus, those are large watches, especially the Panerai and the Rolex sport watches like the Submariner, GMT or Explorer II.

Omega makes the Speedmaster in a mid-size model an it's a really nice watch for the money, and in your price range. (It is mechanical, but I do not believe they make a self winding version). Also, it is a classic sport watch which may be a good compliment to the more "dressy" watches you already have.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:03 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Check out Breitling in the 3-4K. There is not much in the 2K or so price point. Of all the watches I own my Breitlings are the most useful and fun. My 2nd choice would be Panerai. I can say Breitling service in the USA is awesome and Omega was like dealing with a Chevy dealer...plain horrible with not respect all 2 times I sent in my Omega's for service.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:48 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

How about a TAG Carrera, about $2200 and a very nice watch for the money.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

I second the Tag recommendation - you can find legit (w serial numbers) new Tag Carreras for approx $1500 online.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:46 AM
D-Train
AutoX

Explorer 1 is the way to go. I bought mine a few years ago, it was difficult to obtain at the time. The watch had renewed popularity b/c Jackie Chan wore it in one of his movies. I don't wear mine anymore since I bought my SS Daytona.

I would try ebay, you can find older Exploer 1's which you should be able to purchase with your $2K.

Good Luck
Old 07-24-2006, 02:21 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

If you are looking for something different, try this:

http://www.jeandeve.ch/en/collections.html
Old 07-25-2006, 12:00 AM
billco
Instructor

I know it's more than you planned to spend, but if I were you, I would do what ever possible to step up to a Rolex Stainless Steel Submariner, even I you have to get a slightly used one. This is the coolest, most versatile time piece you could ever own. You can wear this watch with a tux, or a swim suite. Take proper care of it and you can pass it down to your grandson. I own a dozen great watches and find myself wearing the Sub far more than any of the others. Good luck! Let us know what you end up with.

Quick Reply: OT I need watch advise, best watch $2-3,000?