Sponsored by:

Pcar as Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:12 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Doesn't pay to insure yourself against losses you can easily afford. What you want to do is to protect yourself against catastrophic losses (car accident with injuries e.g. or the loss of your home by fire).

Product warrantees for the most part just make money for the insurance company and provide little tangible benefit as the potential losses are small and can be easily absorbed by the consumer.
Are you kidding? $4-500 for 4 years to warranty against wheel and tire damage? I consider that one of the best deals offered on a p-car, given the cost of tire replacement. Every other option on a car is a negative investment (you pay $x and get $y back, where $x > $y), where this one can have positive returns (you pay $x, then offset cost $y which is the replacement of one or more tires, so often $x < $y).

Agreed that you pay to offset catastrophic losses, but the chances of them occurring means that while a prudent investment, it usually results in a negative gain. In my case, I usually end up replacing at least 2 tires for reasons other than normal wear during a car's lifetime, so in my case cost of tires > cost of warrant = good investment.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:17 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive mine daily and it's great. My biggest complaint is lack of space, which, as stated previously, makes airport runs, ahem, challenging.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:18 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Are you kidding? ..... Every other option on a car is a negative investment (you pay $x and get $y back, where $x > $y), where this one can have positive returns (you pay $x, then offset cost $y which is the replacement of one or more tires, so often $x < $y).....
Yes, as everyone knows (and contrary to the advice of their accountants and the demands of their shareholders) those who sell tire/wheel insurance price their product below market value and take a loss every year in the interests of the financial benefit and peace of mind of pcar owners.....

Along the same line I can't remember the number of times I've had to fight off the "extended warantee" offers at Best Buy. One time I went there to buy a PDA. The clerk told me that an extended warantee was essential inasmuch as they are very delicate. "Anything will break them...sunlight, dropping them on the floor etc.." In fact a neutron may go through miles of concrete without a collision but will do irreperable damage to your PDA. He, in fact, said that If I didn't want the warrantee then I should just go ahead and buy TWO PDAs as a backup....

They tried to sell me a "warrantee" on a $20 plastic CD holder. Heaven forbid something untowards should happen to it and I would be out $20.

Once for kicks while buying a $6 ream of 1000 sheet computer paper I asked the cashier if I could get an "extended warantee" for it. With a staright face (as if it might be a reasonable option) she said "no." What, I protested, am I supposed to do if, at a later time, I find that a sheet of paper has become wrinkled???.......
Old 07-13-2006, 01:42 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
Hey all,

I am wondering, those of you that use your 997 as a daily driver, which seats do you have?
Sport?
Sport addaptive?
standard w/ supple? etc.

-- I ask because, when trying to decide what seats I was going to order for the 997 TT, I noticed the sport seats were harder to get in and out of. The way to remedy this problem was to swing the door open further. But in daily use, you can't always swing the door to FULL OPEN.. Making the sport seats less practical for daily use..

What are your thoughts.
B
I have the standard/supple seats and I think they are very comfortable. Although if you have very broad shoulders you may think otherwise, they are a bit more narrow than the sport/sport adaptive.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:15 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Yes, as everyone knows (and contrary to the advice of their accountants and the demands of their shareholders) those who sell tire/wheel insurance price their product below market value and take a loss every year in the interests of the financial benefit and peace of mind of pcar owners.....

Along the same line I can't remember the number of times I've had to fight off the "extended warantee" offers at Best Buy. One time I went there to buy a PDA. The clerk told me that an extended warantee was essential inasmuch as they are very delicate. "Anything will break them...sunlight, dropping them on the floor etc.." In fact a neutron may go through miles of concrete without a collision but will do irreperable damage to your PDA. He, in fact, said that If I didn't want the warrantee then I should just go ahead and buy TWO PDAs as a backup....

They tried to sell me a "warrantee" on a $20 plastic CD holder. Heaven forbid something untowards should happen to it and I would be out $20.

Once for kicks while buying a $6 ream of 1000 sheet computer paper I asked the cashier if I could get an "extended warantee" for it. With a staright face (as if it might be a reasonable option) she said "no." What, I protested, am I supposed to do if, at a later time, I find that a sheet of paper has become wrinkled???.......
I guess I don't understand what you're getting at with your absurb comparison. Does it have a point? Maybe that you are able to set some arbitrary limit, below which all other warranty/insurance options are worthless?

If you want to make an argument against something, logic and facts usually work better than sarcasm. Makes you look like less of an *** too. Just being helpful.

Quick Reply: Pcar as Daily Driver