Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pcar as Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006 | 12:31 PM
Frino
Pro

Originally Posted by MMD
Nah, I respect you guys who do the DD thing with the Carreras. It's a good car for such practical things if you're a car guy (enjoyment of it and being careful with it can be balanced). I also like the idea of not getting soooooo prissy about using the darn thing and not afraid of possibly getting minor dents, dings (can be fixed reasonably and by the batch). More power to yous.
With the exception of the drone (???) of the engine, you make some very valid points. I will qualify my earlier statement by saying that I go from garage to garage, drive well known routes, park in a reserved spot, keep the car parked during the day and use taxi's for getting around the city. I use a black car service for airport runs. So while I use the car as a daily driver, the vehicle is pampered beyond the norm and does not see hard core daily use.
Old 07-10-2006 | 12:38 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Frino
With the exception of the drone (???) of the engine, you make some very valid points.
Oh..., sorry. Lemme add that the buzz/drone at cruising RPMs can get on my nerves if I'm tired and had a long day. Like, Geez..., as satisfying as it is most of the time, there are those situations when I scream "Enough already!"
Old 07-10-2006 | 12:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MMD
Sorry to disagree but, I have an 04M3 and 06 997S. I would not use Carrera as a daily driver because:

fit like a glove (PITA to get in and out of multiple times per day)
you have to be in the mood (not tired) for the constant drone of the engine, or gets annoying
less visible to other cars in parking lots and crowded freeway traffic
no room for extra stuff (airport runs are nearly impossible)
is a vandal magnet
on poor roads if you have a lapse in attention you can smash a wheel
requires alot of attention to drive; gives constant feedback to driver
has no spare (unless you equip it with one)
manual tranny is annoying in traffic
seeking ding-free parking for your $100K machine is a constant annoyance

I'd recommend driving the Carrera when you are in the mood to drive it ; unless you're younger than 28 and unmarried (don't have as much other BS to occupy your mind), IMO, it's not a great car for the crowded, get-it-done, hustle and bustle of real life.

The M3 OTOH, works around the above mentioned constraints very well also providing a great deal of fun-to-drive when you want it.

oh, no flames please. I'm just pointing out the DIS advantages of DD Carrera useage.

All valid points actually. It definitely takes a little extra effort to drive the Porsche every day. The M3 or M5 is not doubt a better car as a daily driver. But... its not a Carerra is it? If I had a spare slot in my garage (only have a 2 car garage, and we have a car for our teenage daughter too), AND I had the spare change to own a Porsche as an extra car, I'd have a DD AND the Porsche. Since I don't have either the spare slot or the spare change, I choose the 997 as my daily driver. No regrets.
Old 07-10-2006 | 01:36 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

I bought my 997 in March and a Hyundai Elantra the next day as my daily driver. The Elantra now has 18 miles on it. The Porsche has 5000+. I have no complaints whatsoever about the 997 as a daily driver and have not experienced the issues that MMD reported (or - at a minimum - I don't find them to be a PITA or annoying). I have to note, however, that because of my hours and location, I'm hardly ever in thick traffic. Since this is my first p-car ever, it could also be that my overall excitement still makes me completely oblivious to possible downsides. I still love every second I spend in the car and as such try to use it as often as I can.
Old 07-10-2006 | 01:43 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Hey all,

I am wondering, those of you that use your 997 as a daily driver, which seats do you have?
Sport?
Sport addaptive?
standard w/ supple? etc.

-- I ask because, when trying to decide what seats I was going to order for the 997 TT, I noticed the sport seats were harder to get in and out of. The way to remedy this problem was to swing the door open further. But in daily use, you can't always swing the door to FULL OPEN.. Making the sport seats less practical for daily use..

What are your thoughts.
B
Old 07-10-2006 | 01:44 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

I've had my 997 S for 3 weeks and have 3200 miles on it

Buy it...drive it. It's what they are intended for.
Old 07-10-2006 | 01:46 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

I've got the stock seats. They could be more comfortable IMHO. Don't know about getting in and out of the other seats, but I would shop more for better lumbar support than what the stocks offer.
Old 07-10-2006 | 02:12 PM
997Vancity
Instructor

Porsches are wicked daily drivers, how else are you supposed to learn take your favourite corners perfectly if you dont do daily practice? Where I commute alot theres alot of winding turns and no pedestrians so I like challenging myself every day.

Things I hate about porsches is manual is downtown traffic is a b!tch especially when I'm tired, although it saves me from bumping the car infront of me when im tired and driving an auto (done it before.)

Another thing I dislike is the ride soomtimes is alil bumpy which I will easily tolerate for the performance but when I got the flu or really tired it can get kind of annoying. My girlfiend would prefer a benz but she says the porsche suits me and makes me happy so she told me to get another one after this lease is up.

997 GT3 is going to be my daily driver in 2007
Old 07-10-2006 | 02:20 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

I drive my GT3 daily rain or shine.
Old 07-10-2006 | 02:43 PM
CJC
Instructor

Stock seats here as well. No complaints on comfort. Matter of fact 5yrs ago fractured my T12
vertebrae in two places in a karting accident and the only comfortable seat from 3 mos. after the accident till now is a Porsche seat. I've read that sport seats are too narrow for some . When it comes to seats IMHO go try them all and pick the one that fits the best.
Old 07-10-2006 | 02:55 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CBejbl
I've had my 997 S for 3 weeks and have 3200 miles on it

Buy it...drive it. It's what they are intended for.
Couldn't agree more. One month here with 2756 miles.

I don't understand why some people buy these very nice cars and don't want to put miles on them. Or why some people are so afraid to get a ding or a scratch. It's a car and is the most fun (IMO) when being driven. Sure, no one wants a ding, and if you never park it in public or take it on the streets, you will never get a ding. But aren't they for driving?

Saving the miles for the next guy is insane to me, but that's just me. I have done that with too many nicer cars, and vowed with this one, I will be the one to enjoy it.

And it's interesting, when I sold all the other cars I had with such low miles, the difference in resale value was negligible.
Old 07-10-2006 | 02:56 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

standard w/ supple? etc.
Drove with these seats from Cleveland to Vegas. Very comfortable. No back pain, no fatigue. Great practical seats.
Old 07-10-2006 | 03:00 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by B-Line
Hey all,

I am wondering, those of you that use your 997 as a daily driver, which seats do you have?
Sport?
Sport addaptive?
standard w/ supple? etc.

-- I ask because, when trying to decide what seats I was going to order for the 997 TT, I noticed the sport seats were harder to get in and out of. The way to remedy this problem was to swing the door open further. But in daily use, you can't always swing the door to FULL OPEN.. Making the sport seats less practical for daily use..

What are your thoughts.
B
SS versus A.S.S. is a constant debate, but I'll weigh in again. I love my Adaptive Sports Seats. I have a bad back and they are the best seats I've ever had. I don't have much experience in the 997 standard seat, but I do in the 996 and I can say that I prefer the 997 A.S.S. WAY more than the 996 stock seat simply because it feels much better. I also don't like the way the stock seats (on the 996) have my shoulders spilling off of them.

Getting in is easy, getting out is a little more tricky like any sports car but it isn't like Lotus Elise/Exige hard or anything. I've never found a situation yet where it has been a problem, and I typically only open my door to the first "notch".

FWIW I'm 6'1" and 185 lbs, so I'm not small but I'm not very large either.

I wouldn't buy a 997 without the A.S.S.

P.S. Yes, I just like saying A.S.S. instead of Adaptive Sport Seat because I still crack up over Porsche not noticing that acronym.
Old 07-10-2006 | 03:19 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Having walked into the dealer straight out of my 996 stock seats (with power/memory), I chose the Sport seats in the 997. I thought the power seats in the 997 were slightly better than the 996, but the sport seats were even better than that. I liked the A.S.S., but could not stomach the price for (in my mind) not much additional comfort/features.

Oh - and this will be our daily driver. Our commute is 15 miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic each way, and I gladly drive the manual 911 just for the opportunities to goose the throttle at a red light, or shoot forward in an opening of traffic. Those little moments make the rest of the 30-60 minute commute worthwhile. The weekend drives are just gravy.
Old 07-10-2006 | 03:38 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CJC
My 99 996 had 145K miles on it when I sold it. My current 06 997S has 10K and it's
8 months old. 20K per year for a modern day Porsche is really a walk in the park.
Any car is not that much fun to drive in bumper to bumper traffic but even with that
in mind you will still enjoy daily driving. As far as reliability on a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being the best )Porsche for me is an 11.

I love hearing stories like this.

Quick Reply: Pcar as Daily Driver