Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pcar as Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 04:56 AM
Queram
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also coming from a 2003 M3, I can say that 997 is more comfortable when PASM is in softer setting. Unless you need to carry cargo or more than 2 person than it is no problem. It just consumes alot when in bumper traffic.

I drive mine daily and have no problem unless I need to go to a part of the city where I would not want to draw attention.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:44 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
That assumes (a) you have access to a phone or are in cellular range, (b) there is a contracted towing company near by that has a flatbed truck, (c) there is an open tire store nearby that is capable of dismounting/mounting low profile tires without damage, and (d) said tire store stocks OEM Porsche-sized tires if the flat is more than a minor puncture.

At least here in So Cal, even in relatively populated areas you will be SOL. A very best-case scenario is a two hour ordeal; worst case is being stranded for days with a nicely battered car in the end, vs. 20 minutes to put on the spare.
Yup. Nicely expressed. Once it happens to you (worst case), you make a solemn vow never to let it happen again.

But Porsche's version of what happens after a un-goo-able flat is soooo much more idealistic; like an advertisement.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:00 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Everyday for everything. Even park it at the airport for week long trips. You just have to take the time to look for a "safer" parking spot. My CLK 500 was supposed to be the daily driver after I got the P-car, but I never wanted to drive it and it just took up space in the driveway. This car makes the most mundane commute something to look forward to.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
That assumes (a) you have access to a phone or are in cellular range, (b) there is a contracted towing company near by that has a flatbed truck, (c) there is an open tire store nearby that is capable of dismounting/mounting low profile tires without damage, and (d) said tire store stocks OEM Porsche-sized tires if the flat is more than a minor puncture.

At least here in So Cal, even in relatively populated areas you will be SOL. A very best-case scenario is a two hour ordeal; worst case is being stranded for days with a nicely battered car in the end, vs. 20 minutes to put on the spare.
I'm in the NYC metro area... check to all of the above. If I lived in Wyoming then I would certainly keep the spare.

And like I noted, if I plan on taking a road trip anywhere then I'll put it back in as well.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:06 PM
19_hole
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded my E46 M3 daily driver for my 997 that is a daily driver. Lots of fun, comfortable and unless you need to take 3 other people with you perfect for the commute.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:47 PM
P-Nuts
Racer

Originally Posted by B-Line
Hey all,

I am wondering, those of you that use your 997 as a daily driver, which seats do you have?
Sport?
Sport addaptive?
standard w/ supple? etc.

-- I ask because, when trying to decide what seats I was going to order for the 997 TT, I noticed the sport seats were harder to get in and out of. The way to remedy this problem was to swing the door open further. But in daily use, you can't always swing the door to FULL OPEN.. Making the sport seats less practical for daily use..

What are your thoughts.
B
I had the same dilema...and opted for the standard power seats...no regrets.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:35 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by MMD
Yup. Nicely expressed. Once it happens to you (worst case), you make a solemn vow never to let it happen again.

But Porsche's version of what happens after a un-goo-able flat is soooo much more idealistic; like an advertisement.
Happened to me just this morning. Awoke to find the left rear tire flat. Found a gash in the sidewall and it wouldn't hold air. Called PRA and they came in 1.5 hours, swapped out the wheel and tire and took mine to the dealer.

PRA was very polite on the phone and actually called back to make sure the truck had arrived.

It would have been a huge headache for me to remove the wheel and lug it to the dealer 15 miles away with no spare tire and the loss of my car.

So I'm pretty happy with this (free) service.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:46 PM
CJC
Instructor

Boolala,
PRA swapped out your wheel and tire with what wheel and tire ? Did they supply or was it yours?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:14 PM
boolala
Race Car

No they brought the tire/wheel from the dealer and took mine in exchange for repair. When the repairs are done tomorrow (tire was on back order) I just drive to the dealer to have them swapped out.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:32 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

If they can repair the tire, that's a great service. If you have to buy a new one from Porsche, the "free" part of the deal just cost you a bundle!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:37 PM
boolala
Race Car

Personally I'm more interested in the convenience over the cost but I could also understand someone feeling otherwise.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:40 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I get the convenience side as well. Pretty nice service. I'm just really cheap!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:17 AM
tlsmithx
Intermediate

I drive my C4S Coupe every day and love it (great A/C, Nav, etc.). I've had no issues with ground clearance or attention / vandals that I had with my F355 Spider. One big reason I went with a C4 vs. a Turbo is that it is much more stealth around town.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:03 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Free PRA + wheel/tire warranty = deal.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:51 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Free PRA + wheel/tire warranty = deal.
Doesn't pay to insure yourself against losses you can easily afford. What you want to do is to protect yourself against catastrophic losses (car accident with injuries e.g. or the loss of your home by fire).

Product warrantees for the most part just make money for the insurance company and provide little tangible benefit as the potential losses are small and can be easily absorbed by the consumer.

Quick Reply: Pcar as Daily Driver