Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove my neighbors new Z-06 last night...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 12:59 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Where did I state my experience? You should get over it. If you don't like Vet's, that's fine. But the facts are that it is a better performing car than the 911 (997 TT to be decided). This does not make your Porsche bad, but only that your car does not perform as well as the Z06 in some categories. I don't understand why this fact would bother people.

This thread is about performance and not value, looks or ***** size. The stock Z06 gets around the track faster and accelerates faster than your Porsche. It's really that simple. You should not lose any sleep over it.
Ya know, I think you have the problem. You don't appear to read all that well. Sorry, I will try to use small words next time for you.

You apparently have no experience in either of these cars. At least I have driven them both, briskly (oops, sorry. I mean fast). You have only articles and little else.

Do you hold them with just your left hand also?
Old 07-10-2006, 01:31 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Ya know, I think you have the problem. You don't appear to read all that well. Sorry, I will try to use small words next time for you.

You apparently have no experience in either of these cars. At least I have driven them both, briskly (oops, sorry. I mean fast). You have only articles and little else.

Do you hold them with just your left hand also?

Sorry, but I drive the Z06 quite often. Just recently finished bolting the 427 back together after tear down. IF in fact you actually have driven one (and IF you know how to drive), then you are deceiving yourself by saying that it is not the better performer.

Your arguments show that you have no interest in learning anything and your mind is so set that even facts won't change your incorrect opinion, so I won't bother with defending the Z06 anymore. Hope to run into you on the road sometime tho....it would be quite a humbling experience for you.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:50 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsh-uh
So why are you ashamed of yourself? I don't get this. Why say it's a shame and then do it? You have really confused me here.

No kidding, why let facts get in the way of a perfectly unreasonable arugment?

Um, published numbers ARE real world tests.

Now THAT is a perfectly verifiable fact.
And when the comparo comes out very close, you'll ignore that too.

The fact is that the RAW performance numbers indicate they are similar performers. The Corvette is a much better "performance value" and no one is debating that. However, to try and make the claim the a Z06 CLEARLY OUTPERFORMS a 997TT is not based on any facts.

Who made the claim that the Z06 clearly outperforms the 997 TT. Are you reading another forum or something. This is a typical methods of people losing an argument to try to save face by rewriting other's statements to discredit them. Nice try.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:59 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but I drive the Z06 quite often. Just recently finished bolting the 427 back together after tear down. IF in fact you actually have driven one (and IF you know how to drive), then you are deceiving yourself by saying that it is not the better performer.

Your arguments show that you have no interest in learning anything and your mind is so set that even facts won't change your incorrect opinion, so I won't bother with defending the Z06 anymore. Hope to run into you on the road sometime tho....it would be quite a humbling experience for you.
I never attacked the Z-06. You can't read.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Anyway..., speaking of performance, when all is said and done, I'm more attracted to the class of women who love Porsches and dislike Corvettes.
Bingo..or following Likemystoppie's lead, +2
Old 07-10-2006, 02:05 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is amazing the biased that I have found on this forum. The amount of hatred towards a superior vehicle is simply unreasonable. I don't think you will get this across to a lot of people here. Just let it be man. You KNOW which one is faster and which one outperforms the other...just let it be - - you won't change some people's minds here...period.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:21 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

I have never owned a vette. Don't plan on buying one either. Having said that, I think the Z06 is pretty damned cool looking. Have only seen a few in person (one was Jay Leno's) and I haven't seen the inside (which I have never been a big fan of American interiors)
But I still think the Z06 is a bitchin car.

I must also admit I am in agreement with previous posters.. I am more attracted to women who like Porsche's than women who live Vette's.
+3

B
Old 07-10-2006, 02:23 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys: do we finally agree to disagree?

Air hammer vs. sledgehammer, scalpel vs. box cutter, whatever... the Corvette is the value leader, and the Porsche is overpriced but spectacular in its own right - and that enough makes it worth it to me. I've waited over 30 years for this car, and I wouldn't trade it for the world... ok, maybe for a 997 GT3. <g> The Germans are arguably the world's best engineers, especially when they are unfettered by accountants - hence, the higher price tag on the 911.

I've been to Bowling Green - there's a very high level of pride in that factory. I have not been to Stuttgart yet, but it's in the plans for this fall. I'm betting that I'll be very impressed when I finally get there.

Riad, I had a 1969 Corvette Coupe, 350ci/350hp - but unfortunately it was a TurboHydromatic. At the time, though - that didn't make a bit of difference. The gent I sold it to twenty five years ago still owns it and keeps it looking great. He's definitely happy with what he has.

If I needed the fastest car on the road, I wouldn't be driving the 997 C4S. I drive it because I'm totally in love with it. It does everything right, IMHO.

And, just as an aside - I've encountered several base C6s and Z06 cars in the last few weekends... the C6s ignore me, and the Z06 drivers all wave and give a thumbs-up. Clearly a bunch of people who love their cars as much as I love my 911. I like that, a lot...

-don
Old 07-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
It is amazing the biased that I have found on this forum. The amount of hatred towards a superior vehicle is simply unreasonable. I don't think you will get this across to a lot of people here. Just let it be man. You KNOW which one is faster and which one outperforms the other...just let it be - - you won't change some people's minds here...period.
I have to ask in all seriousness why you own a Porsche if the Vette is so much better for much less money?
Old 07-10-2006, 02:40 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
I have to ask in all seriousness why you own a Porsche if the Vette is so much better for much less money?
I think you have asked the perfect question - and thanks for asking instead of throwing a brick at me...

I own a Porsche exactly for the same reason I own a Corvette and also for the same reason why I own an Subaru STi.

1. They all serve different purposes. I love the way the 911 looks, the sound of the exhaust, and the feeling that I get everytime I pull it out of the garage. I drive my 911 once a week or so. I love taking her out for a spin, an ocassional spirited driving and even the ocassional autox or track event. But most of all, I LOVE the way it looks. Every time I park the car I cannot help it but to turn around and look at it several times as I walk away. I love it...period.

2. As far as performance and going ***** out fast, none of my cars do the same as the Z06. I love the way it handles, the way it sounds, the way I am able to chase down other cars and the fact that I can finish with top 5 raw times in most of local autox events... Do I love it? Yes...but for different purposes. I can't think of a time I have parked the car and turn around to look at how pretty she looked...maybe I turned around to make sure nobody parked too close to me, but that was that.

3. Now...neither of those are my daily drivers. I drive an STi to go to the office, to haul anything that needs hauled and to go fast. I have also done track events and autox events on this car...and while PAX wise, I place about the same as the Z06, I still don't get the level of satisfaction that I get when I run the Z06.

Just because I love Porsches, mine in specific, it does not mean that I don't appreciate other cars for what they offer or represent. I am lucky, fortunate and blessed to be able to enjoy the best of both worlds. Now...if luck were to have it, and I had to do away with one of those 2 cars...well, I think I would probably keep the 911. If that does not further explain how strongly I feel about the Porsche, I don't know what would. ( of course I would have to grab luck by the ***** and swing it around against a metal pole for making me decide, but that is a different topic altogether)
Old 07-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent answer, IMHO. Different cars for different moods.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:57 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
The Germans are arguably the world's best engineers...
My, my, my, Don. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Think economics. ... If you were one of the top engineering students graduating from one of the top engineering colleges, whose job offers would you seriously consider (assuming you understood economics as well)?

If you were indeed smart you would go work where they pay you the most, right? In Germany, that would probably be Porsche, BMW, and MB in that order no doubt. So it would be fair to say that Germany's top engineers probably work in the auto industry.

In the good ol' U.S. of A, where do you suppose the top notch engineers work? Certainly not GM where cost cutting is a way of life. Nor any other automotive company for that matter.

Ever wonder about the brain power behind designs such as the F-117 Stealth Fighter, laser-guided smart bombs, and other advanced weaponry? ... Let's see the Germans equal that. (Ahh...uhmm, scratch that. Let's not. Twice was enough.)

Bottom line.....top dollar (or Deutch Mark) goes to top talent. In Germany it seems to be the automotive industry. In America, it's clearly the aerospace & defense industries, including the Shuttle, Space Station, etc.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
I think you have asked the perfect question - and thanks for asking instead of throwing a brick at me...

I own a Porsche exactly for the same reason I own a Corvette and also for the same reason why I own an Subaru STi.

1. They all serve different purposes. I love the way the 911 looks, the sound of the exhaust, and the feeling that I get everytime I pull it out of the garage. I drive my 911 once a week or so. I love taking her out for a spin, an ocassional spirited driving and even the ocassional autox or track event. But most of all, I LOVE the way it looks. Every time I park the car I cannot help it but to turn around and look at it several times as I walk away. I love it...period.

2. As far as performance and going ***** out fast, none of my cars do the same as the Z06. I love the way it handles, the way it sounds, the way I am able to chase down other cars and the fact that I can finish with top 5 raw times in most of local autox events... Do I love it? Yes...but for different purposes. I can't think of a time I have parked the car and turn around to look at how pretty she looked...maybe I turned around to make sure nobody parked too close to me, but that was that.

3. Now...neither of those are my daily drivers. I drive an STi to go to the office, to haul anything that needs hauled and to go fast. I have also done track events and autox events on this car...and while PAX wise, I place about the same as the Z06, I still don't get the level of satisfaction that I get when I run the Z06.

Just because I love Porsches, mine in specific, it does not mean that I don't appreciate other cars for what they offer or represent. I am lucky, fortunate and blessed to be able to enjoy the best of both worlds. Now...if luck were to have it, and I had to do away with one of those 2 cars...well, I think I would probably keep the 911. If that does not further explain how strongly I feel about the Porsche, I don't know what would. ( of course I would have to grab luck by the ***** and swing it around against a metal pole for making me decide, but that is a different topic altogether)
I appreciate the detailed response. Based on what you have written I would then not expect you to say the Z06 is a superior car.

To say, like most of us do, that the Z06 is an incredible car - especially for the money, is a very reasonable statement. However to claim the Z06 is superior basically meaning in all aspects seems odd if you continue to own the 911.

BTW, it also depends on which model 911 you own. A GT2/GT3/Turbo may change your mind about the Porsche. If you own a 1999 C2, then I can see where you would be bias toward the Corvette.

Thanks again for the reply.

Rob
Old 07-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who made the claim that the Z06 clearly outperforms the 997 TT. Are you reading another forum or something. This is a typical methods of people losing an argument to try to save face by rewriting other's statements to discredit them. Nice try.
How about I use direct quotes (like the ones you ignored in my last post)...

I drive one regularly and a TT won't touch them. Not much on the street will, at any speed.
A stock Z06 is NOT faster than MOST stock 911's. It is faster than ALL stock 911's.
There seems to be a belief from some on this thread that the Z06 does not perform better that the TT. That would be a mistake to believe, especially if you plan on challenging the Z06 on the street.
I don't own a Vet and never have, but do own several Porsches, so I have no reason to be bias towards tha Z06. However, you correctly have to point oit that a MODDED TT MAY(EDIT: emphasis added) give the Z06 some competition. We are talking about stock cars here. Mod for Mod, the Vet would still perform better.
We'll have to wait for the actual comparisons when the 997 TT takes on the Z06. I would expect that the Vet will still beat it in both straight line and track. The TT is simply too much of a boat. I'm sure we will see some reports soon enough.
This thread is about performance and not value, looks or ***** size. The stock Z06 gets around the track faster and accelerates faster than your Porsche. It's really that simple.(EDIT: Emphasis added) You should not lose any sleep over it.
Wait, so I am the one rewriting statements?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:28 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
If I needed the fastest car on the road, I wouldn't be driving the 997 C4S. I drive it because I'm totally in love with it. It does everything right, IMHO.

And, just as an aside - I've encountered several base C6s and Z06 cars in the last few weekends... the C6s ignore me, and the Z06 drivers all wave and give a thumbs-up. Clearly a bunch of people who love their cars as much as I love my 911. I like that, a lot...

-don
Quoted for truth.

Quick Reply: Drove my neighbors new Z-06 last night...