Sponsored by:

Your "other" car

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 03:39 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your "other" car

Initially I bought my C4S Cab for an everyday car. But it became apparent for many reasons that I don't want to do that. Gas is currently what it is and to be realistic we could see $4/gal if one more thing goes wrong in this World. While the gas price is not why, I am looking for an everyday driver and it makes sense to be fuel-efficent.

After surveying the market and being a realist I think I'll buy a Camry Hybrid. I had a Prius a couple of years ago and it's not a very nice vehicle. The Camry OTOH is very nice to drive and gets upper 30's. I considered a Jetta Diesel, but the volatility of diesel prices coupled with the inevible sounds and smells sort of puts me off.

Any other suggestions that one of you may have struck upon?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2006, 03:49 PM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

My "leave it at the airport" car is a 2006 Acura RSX S model. Gets about 32 mpg on the highway, is pretty quick with a 210 hp VTEC motor and is actually a lot of fun to drive. Its a two door, but the fold down rear seats and hatch back design give it more than decent capacity. Not a four person car however. This is my second Acura, and its been bullet proof, like the first one.

My daughter just bought a Honda Fit which takes the fuel economy theme to another level. No exactly a barn burner, but very well made and has lots of flexibility. Kind of a chick car design though. Lots of options out there so it should be fun to make the choice.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:57 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

I think the Camry would be a real good choice; especially the hybird.

My "grocery-getter" is a 2004 Camry LE. The car has zero extras. It now has 38K on it and all it has ever needed was gas, oil, and tires. Never a mechanical problem.

BTW, I drive to Miami occasionally and on these trips it gets right around 35 mpg.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:00 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

The Camry seems to be a "can't kill it" car that just goes and goes and goes. My mom has had two so far- she went from an Audi, btw, so it wasn't a cost thing. She just wanted a no-brainer car that would keep going and going. Egad but is is Boring to drive.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:12 PM
TheOldMan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our other cars are a 2005 Infiniti G35X and a 2006 Jetta TDI. The infiniti is an amazing car in the winter. The AWD and VSD make it the best handling car I have used in Winter driving. The Jetta TDI is just a very nice car that goes very far on very little fuel. On the highway there is less noise in this diesel than the gas version of Jetta. The days of smelly fuel and exaust are pretty much over, and by this October, we will have very clean diesel fuel with 30x less sulpher than before. An excellent car for commuting. At over 45 miles per US gallon, this thing is great for the daily commute.

While both cars have their merits, I will say that the Infiniti has been a major disappointment in one area, maintenance costs. Regular dealer maintenance at the dealer is costing a fortune. Over $2000 in the first year of ownership. I am not sure if it is Infiniti or the dealer, but the cost of maintaining this car is outrageous. The Porsche is costing 5 times less per mile to maintain than the Infiniti.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:05 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

thought about buying another car - then i thought - when will i not want to be in my porsche - NEVER!!! think of gas like a tax - our demand in the short run is inelastic and it reduces the amount of other goods and services we can buy - in the long run oil companies want lower gas prices so we dont develop alternative fuels and put them out of business.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:12 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Get the Lexus RX400h if you want a hybrid (my wife has one and loves it). My beater is a Lexus GX470.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:31 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm sure the Camry is a fine car, but I swear that the average speed of a Camry in Houston is about 25mph. If I see one, I immediately switch lanes to avoid being stuck behind it. Maybe you should get one to help improve the reputation of Camry drivers. You could pull their average speed up to maybe 27.5mph!

Even at $3/gal, I don't think hybrids make good economic sense. It takes years to reach payout. I'd just buy a sedan that gets decent mileage, and that I could stand to drive. Some "other" reasonably economic vehicles I like in no particular order:

Saab 9-5 Aero -- just sold one. Loved it.
Passat
Audi A-4
Subaru Outback -- One of the most practical cars on the road
Infiniti G35
Honda CRV
Toyota Rav4
Old 06-25-2006, 05:32 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Get the Lexus RX400h if you want a hybrid (my wife has one and loves it). My beater is a Lexus GX470.
That is my wife's car. It's great 25 MPH+ when I drive, sl less when she drives.
Great for the baby seats and junk too.

I like Toyota's Hybrid system. I understand Nissan/Infiniti have bought RIghts as well.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:09 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Lexus 400H is my other car, sort of green.., more powerful than the average hybrid, fun to drive... good in the snow!!
Old 06-25-2006, 06:19 PM
NiATE
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Been really pleased with my Golf TDI. At constant WOT it gets around 35mpg and with 77000 miles, it's been completely problem free. Some injectors, and 17" rims will make it an enjoyable driver as well. Not to zippy around town (but acceptable), pretty surprising on the highway.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:20 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although not ideal for the owner of a cab my 06 miata nicely complements the 997 coupe. The price of a coupe plus miata is not much more than that of a cab! : )
Jack
Old 06-25-2006, 06:30 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'm sure the Camry is a fine car, but I swear that the average speed of a Camry in Houston is about 25mph. If I see one, I immediately switch lanes to avoid being stuck behind it. Maybe you should get one to help improve the reputation of Camry drivers. You could pull their average speed up to maybe 27.5mph!

Even at $3/gal, I don't think hybrids make good economic sense. It takes years to reach payout. I'd just buy a sedan that gets decent mileage, and that I could stand to drive. Some "other" reasonably economic vehicles I like in no particular order:

Saab 9-5 Aero -- just sold one. Loved it.
Passat
Audi A-4
Subaru Outback -- One of the most practical cars on the road
Infiniti G35
Honda CRV
Toyota Rav4
I love this little clip. Remind you of a message board we know and love? Btw, my Dobie and I spend quality time in an Outback
Old 06-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

2002 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel
4" Turbo Back Exhaust
AFE Magnum Air Filter
Performance Chip
Dual Amsoil Oil Filters

Great Topic!!
Old 06-25-2006, 06:41 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, OK. That message board thing....JKA. The clip still cracks me up though. It lived on Roadfly for a long time. I missed it when it left. The only thing I missed.

Quick Reply: Your "other" car