997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your "other" car

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006 | 06:41 PM
boolala
Race Car

The 997 is my daily driver. Take the S class only in inclement weather or when it has been gathering dust in the garage too long. Have no need (or space) for a 3rd car.
Old 06-25-2006 | 06:42 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Pug: You're right. It's still cheaper than bottled water.
Jack
Old 06-25-2006 | 07:02 PM
andre5
Instructor

My "other car" is a '05 Scion xB, 5 speed manual - aka the Box. It's functional, seats 4 comfortably (5 if I'm carting around kids), has the most head room and rear leg room of almost any car that I've owned, and gets 35mpg on the highway while cruising 75-80MPH with mods. It was only getting about 32mpg on the hiway until I installed a MMW stainless steel 4-2-1 header, CARB approved AEM Intake, and resonator back exhaust. Imagine this: intake, header, and exhaust for under $600 and an estimated 7% gain in HP. I've really got that 1.5L VVTI engine humming now! LOL! It's slightly lowered with TRD springs and rear Monroe Sensatrac shocks (more compliant, better dampening, increased grip over uneven surfaces). I may add the TRD rear sway bar since the Box leans a little more now when cornering with the Monroe shocks. It's obviously not as fun to drive as my 997S, but it serves its purpose well.

I've had this car for over a year now without any problems whatsoever, just like a Toyota should. With the rear seats folded down, I can pretty much haul around almost anything provided it doesn't exceed the factory weight limits.

This was my daily commuter car until my wife's commute grew. We've since switched cars during the week: I drive her '05 Cayenne S (with drop off and pick up duty for the kids) during the week while she commutes in the Box.
Old 06-25-2006 | 08:04 PM
Deven
Pro

The problem is that my 'other' cars tend to be less fuel efficient, a Lexus LX470 for the family trips, and the wife drives a Lexus GS300 which is getting 22-23 mpg for her. I use the Porsche as a daily driver and get 21-22 for combined city/highway, but the minute I want the drive to be more 'spirited' the mpg drops quickly to 18 or lower. The problem is that even with gas prices the way they are, it is more cost 'ineffective' to get a new car just for better milage, unless you are in need for a new car. Same thing goes for buying a hybrid, as the mpg difference so far has not justified the added cost of getting them (unless you want to go green). At prices beyond $4 it might start making sense, and if we hit $5, then it will make an impact.
Old 06-25-2006 | 08:12 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

I always have an "other" car. Don't really care what it is... as long as it's a Porsche, too.

Sorry, life is too short to drive anything else.

Last edited by JohnnyNarcosis; 06-26-2006 at 01:06 AM. Reason: aging brain
Old 06-25-2006 | 11:50 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Oh I know all the calculations that say so far a Hybrid does not pay back it's incremental cost. But I also like the very low pollution and higher milage just because it is higher milage.

Ironically I never watch much TV but a few weeks ago on the weekend I was up late and saw a Southpark episode about Hybrid cars. Instead of "smog" from their use, they put out "smug" and it was becoming an environmental contaminant that was also causing havoc with the environment. It was cute.
Old 06-26-2006 | 01:01 AM
ojpimpson
Banned

Default 2005 frontier nismo off road

My nismo
Attached Images     
Old 06-26-2006 | 01:47 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

This is my daily driver, I love this thing - it's fun to drive!

Old 06-26-2006 | 11:00 AM
texas911
Race Car

My crappy weather day car is a Range Rover Sport.
Old 06-26-2006 | 11:15 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
This is my daily driver, I love this thing - it's fun to drive!

Mastiff,

You and me,,,I don't know.

We seem to think alike. Where I have the Camry on order, every time I go in I look at that thing and absolutly have to stop myself from buying one. I hear it uses premium only. How is the ride. Can you get 20 MPG? I may have to buy one just for fun! DId you have an old Land Cruiser at one time?

BTW: Was already at the dealer today to make some plans for my TT Cab. They had a Slate C2 Cab on the floor and it looked real nice. Believe it or not, I like Atlas too, though in low light it almost looks Black, in the sun it is georgous!

Quick Reply: Your "other" car