Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 08:43 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ofcourse - my point is $17k for a few different parts just doesnt seem worth it...but i wont bring up that arguement again...im sure the x51 car owners are happy
Old 06-25-2006, 09:45 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Deanski, the Evo system changed the sound somewhat, but not as significantly as the PSE coulped with it. The greatest improvement I felt was with quick bursts of acceleration. I could without question feel the increased HP with the extra air flow.

Jay
Old 06-25-2006, 10:00 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robbonds
ofcourse - my point is $17k for a few different parts just doesnt seem worth it...but i wont bring up that arguement again...im sure the x51 car owners are happy
They are selling exclusivity. How much that is worth is up to the individual. If I had been able to do it guiltlessly, I would have ordered it for just that reason.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:09 PM
evsmotors
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by royalpar1
I have purchased but will return the new k&N cold air intake offered by vivid racing. I just put it on today, however I am getting MAF errors, although there is a remarkable increase in power from 3000rpm and up, it screams to redline.
Should there be further recalibrations to not redline so quickly?
Are you sure you put the MAF in the right direction?
Old 06-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DJ23
Deanski, the Evo system changed the sound somewhat, but not as significantly as the PSE coulped with it. The greatest improvement I felt was with quick bursts of acceleration. I could without question feel the increased HP with the extra air flow.

Jay
Thank you Sir!

Deanski
Old 06-26-2006, 02:26 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Default Intake

I am sending back to vivid my intake today, I have spoken to several porsche mechanics who quite candidly unhappy with any filter which uses oil. They mostly state that the dry filter and factory air filter is still the best. A couple talked about drilling out the OEM to acheive greater airflow and sound. I had champion put in a custom carbon fiber box with twin horns, dry filters, no problems and no error fault.

Vivid has been great, but i cannot take a chance on voiding my warrantee because of varius faults. Further i have a tip and it totally thru off my acceleration and shifts between 2-3 and 3-4, although the sound was great, with what i have on now, I have sound, power (even if it is seat power, same as k n) and piece of mind.

me
Old 06-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Queram
Instructor

Originally Posted by royalpar1
I am sending back to vivid my intake today, I have spoken to several porsche mechanics who quite candidly unhappy with any filter which uses oil. They mostly state that the dry filter and factory air filter is still the best. A couple talked about drilling out the OEM to acheive greater airflow and sound. I had champion put in a custom carbon fiber box with twin horns, dry filters, no problems and no error fault.

Vivid has been great, but i cannot take a chance on voiding my warrantee because of varius faults. Further i have a tip and it totally thru off my acceleration and shifts between 2-3 and 3-4, although the sound was great, with what i have on now, I have sound, power (even if it is seat power, same as k n) and piece of mind.

me

Would you give more info and possibly some pics of that custom carbon fiber intake please?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:29 PM
jjporsch43
Instructor

Forgot to add to original post....also have K&N intake from VividR-will install and compare. Post results later. Really like to dyno but not available at this time-soon I hope.

John J
SA Texas
Old 06-26-2006, 10:13 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

X51= Powerkit boosts performance through a series of engine enhancements including a larger throttle body, optimized intake airflow, cylinder heads and exhaust manifold modifications, changes in the control unit.
Lots of engineering and R&D. A total package that works together

I get a kick out of hearing and reading the claims from the Aftermarket add ons, and I have to say is, "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute"....to each their own...
Old 06-27-2006, 04:08 AM
Queram
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJones
X51= Powerkit boosts performance through a series of engine enhancements including a larger throttle body, optimized intake airflow, cylinder heads and exhaust manifold modifications, changes in the control unit.
Lots of engineering and R&D. A total package that works together

I get a kick out of hearing and reading the claims from the Aftermarket add ons, and I have to say is, "There's a Sucker Born Every Minute"....to each their own...
Ok so you commented on the X51 package. do you have to include the second paragraph? Are you so unsure of yourself to comment people who mod their cars suckers in an online community. Do you have the guts to do it to someones face? That I am not so sure of. You are ****ing present in every thread concerning mods and once you and some other people start to comment, the thread goes out of the original topic.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:04 AM
Jiaim
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Evs motors dynoed the new k&n cold air intake and was impressed with the results.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51860

Originally Posted by evsmotors
First of all I'm not affiliated with K&N or any other competing brands. I just want to share the results of my dynos with the K&N CAI System. If you have a 996 and want to know the results check in the 996 section as I dynoed a 996 with the K&N CAI System as well.

Ok dynoed the 911S today for those that want to know! Intake Temperature was 95 Degrees for all the runs.

Baseline Dyno (Engine is Hot at 175 Degrees): 308.7 RWHP
Baseline Dyno (Engine Cooled Down to 100 Degrees): 316.3 RWHP
K&N Dyno (Engine is Hot at 175 Degrees): 316RWHP

I have come to a conclusion on my dynos for the 996 and 997. The K&N filter gives tremendous gains in the midrange as much as 20-25RWHP! I was able to do several dyno runs with the K&N filter just installed. Initially it made less HP around 313-314RWHP the more it was dynoed it seemed that the ECU was learning the new changes in the intake system and gained HP everytime. I stopped dynoing when I got the 316RWHP results. I have a good feeling if I go back it will make additional HP if the engine was cooler. I made more HP at hotter temperatures compared to the baseline run with the engine cooled down! I will now say for a fact that for $299 there isn't a better deal out there for performance upgrades. So far I have no CEL on either car.

Look at the charts below you will see the that the Blue Line (K&N Dyno) has brought up the entire mid range line up! Peak HP remains the same according to the dyno sheet, however like I said before the K&N dyno was done with a hot engine and the ecu is still learning. The baseline dyno with a hot engine is 308RWHP and the K&N Dyno with a hot engine is 316HP. So in a sense it did gain 16RWHP! I didn't have the time to let the car cool down again and do another dyno with a cold engine and K&N.

Other than the added benefit of fast response and HP gains, the sound alone is worth the price!

Here is the car.

Dyno Sheets...

Old 06-27-2006, 06:14 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Deja vu all over again. You might want to do a search for other interpretations of this sort of thing. Or not.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Jiaim
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Deja vu all over again. You might want to do a search for other interpretations of this sort of thing. Or not.

Hum,, never seen independant dyno before
Old 06-27-2006, 08:47 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

I am glad you enjoy the setup. It looks nice and I am sure it sounds different. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not exactly on the topic, but does anyone have installation instructions for the X51 carbon fiber airbox? The real question is how to cut the opening for the second air intake on the passenger side.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake