Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 08:35 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake

who has put a cold air intake into a 997, without any problems? Which one do you feel is best and why?
please advise
Old 06-22-2006, 09:20 PM
CJC
Instructor

I have a fab speed one
along with a BMC F-1 filter.
I installed them about 4k
miles ago and to date no problems.
The car seemed to have a marginal improvment
in throttle response in the low and mid range
and all though its louder at the higher rpm range
I didn't notice any power gain up there.
I'm coming up on 10k miles and previous posts
have stated that the engines seem to loosen up
or get quicker around the 10k mark. Fortunatley
that seems to be true. I don't have another brand
to compare the fab speed too but if I had to do it
all over again I would start with the BMC filter and
go from there.

Craig
Old 06-22-2006, 09:41 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock system is cold air. The intake horn on the left side of the deck lid collects through the vent slats and funnels into the air cleaner element.

Two aftermarket systems, both improving flow are available at this time. Fabspeed furnishes an upgraded intake pipe, blocks off the helmholtz resonator and provides an improved filter element. Evo replaces the airbox and changes the filter element. Both improve air flow, with the Fabspeed about 15 % and the Evo about 30%, supposedly. Rear wheel horsepower gains are 5 hp, maximum.

The factory X-51 powerkit intake has a modified deck lid, carbon fiber airbox, two intake horns, a larger throttle body and improved intake manifolds. Parts are probably unavailable and priced in the stratosphere. Including the widely discussed PSE, 26 horsepower is claimed. Actual power may be higher.

Manthey Motors and PSI(both not well known here) have complete, high priced engine tuning systems claiming 400 hp for the 997S.

This is where we are. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:14 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

"The factory X-51 powerkit intake has a modified deck lid, carbon fiber airbox, two intake horns, a larger throttle body and improved intake manifolds. Parts are probably unavailable and priced in the stratosphere. Including the widely discussed PSE, 26 horsepower is claimed. Actual power may be higher. "

Are you speaking of the X51 Air intake which is carbon fiber? That alone would generate 26hp? I have Tubi headers and tubi exhaust, would this be the unit I need?

I have purchased but will return the new k&N cold air intake offered by vivid racing. I just put it on today, however I am getting MAF errors, although there is a remarkable increase in power from 3000rpm and up, it screams to redline.
Should there be further recalibrations to not redline so quickly?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:35 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I noticed a decided difference on throttle response after having the Evo system installed. Less hesitation when accelerating, especially from a stop.

Jay
Old 06-23-2006, 06:59 AM
royalpar1
Instructor

Default any error messages

when you installed the evo did you have error messages?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:51 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

No error messages.

Jay
Old 06-23-2006, 11:00 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Evo

Hey Jay, who did your Evo? Farbacherloles?

Maybe one day I may take the plung

Man did I have a crappy day... I ripped the passenger lower lip of the Aero today, but snapped it back in. The Armorglove took the most of it. I had Charlie order a GT3 lip as it's a matte finish and my original comes primed only and would have to be shot.

You'd think Porsche would offer a cold air aftermart kit. I can see the cost now!

Any change in sounds? I may have to meet up and listen to this beast you unleashed!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 06-24-2006, 10:43 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Deanski, Danbury Porsche did my Evo install. They a great job and at least new it was covered under warranty. As a matter of fact on part was incorrect. They called Evo for me, had the part Fed Exed over night and Paragon, whom I purchased the part from, gave me instant credit. A great experience all around.

Jay
Old 06-24-2006, 11:40 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by royalpar1
"Are you speaking of the X51 Air intake which is carbon fiber? That alone would generate 26hp? I have Tubi headers and tubi exhaust, would this be the unit I need?"
The 26hp gain in the X51 powerkit is total - new heads, exhaust manifolds, airbox and intake plumbing. Exhaust is PSE on the X51 cars, I believe.

That's why I find it so hard to believe "tuners" who state 5-10hp gains for a airbox, etc. Royalpar... for nearly $17k, Porsche engineers can get you 26hp (and of course, an engine that revs much, much more freely).

The X51 powerkit installation also lifts the redline to 7,600.

BTW, that $17k number is for X51 as a factory installation... not sure what the dealers are charging, but the TSB for the install is about 12 pages long and references many other documents...

Personally, I'm holding out for a slightly used 997 GT3 in a couple of years. I drove a buddy's 2004 GT3 MK.II and was VERY impressed.

-don
Old 06-25-2006, 01:26 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DJ23
Deanski, Danbury Porsche did my Evo install. They a great job and at least new it was covered under warranty. As a matter of fact on part was incorrect. They called Evo for me, had the part Fed Exed over night and Paragon, whom I purchased the part from, gave me instant credit. A great experience all around.

Jay
Thanks!

Good 'ol Jeff and crew comes through again! Good bunch of guys!

How much did the Evo change the sound of the intake sounds?

Have a good day!

Deanski
Old 06-25-2006, 09:25 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by royalpar1
"The factory X-51 powerkit intake has a modified deck lid, carbon fiber airbox, two intake horns, a larger throttle body and improved intake manifolds. Parts are probably unavailable and priced in the stratosphere. Including the widely discussed PSE, 26 horsepower is claimed. Actual power may be higher. "

Are you speaking of the X51 Air intake which is carbon fiber? That alone would generate 26hp? I have Tubi headers and tubi exhaust, would this be the unit I need?

I have purchased but will return the new k&N cold air intake offered by vivid racing. I just put it on today, however I am getting MAF errors, although there is a remarkable increase in power from 3000rpm and up, it screams to redline.
Should there be further recalibrations to not redline so quickly?
The car redlines quickly because it is fast w and w/o K&N. You need to practice recalibrating your hand-eye coordination and driving technique.Reusable K&N filters can be a problem because excessive oil can foul your Air Mass sensors and require servicing. More intake noise may make car seem faster but there is little real hp to be gained. Engine protection is more important to me than sound and I stay w factory replacable filter.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:59 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

26 hp for 17k just sounds high - wouldnt it be cheaper for porsche to just drop a 4liter engine back there? 3.6l to 3.8 gives you 30...i cant imagine a 4 liter engine costing more than 17k over a 3.8l
Old 06-25-2006, 05:41 PM
jjporsch43
Instructor

Have EVO intake and full AWE exhaust-no CEL's with this package on my 05 S'.

John J
SA Texas
Old 06-25-2006, 07:18 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robbonds
26 hp for 17k just sounds high - wouldnt it be cheaper for porsche to just drop a 4liter engine back there? 3.6l to 3.8 gives you 30...i cant imagine a 4 liter engine costing more than 17k over a 3.8l
Re x51:How much more can it cost to change a few engine parts when building the engine from scratch? Does a high lift cam cost more to make than as S cam? Porsche is not looking to save anybody money but to increase their earnings.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake