Sponsored by:

Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 04:17 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
The DAWN will not remove any sealants. Meguiars APC+ will, but they changed the stuff to be VOC compliant. You can do the 50/50 water/alcohol wipedown and that will work.

P21S PWC (Paint Work Cleanser) is very effective and nice and mild for cleaning the finish. Use it all the time as well as other "cleansers". The P21S does a fine job and I would not change from using it as it's very mild. If the finish still will not get corrected by P21S, then it's time to move up to a bit more polish. Once I'm done polishing, I will wash with DAWN or APC mix to make sure any oils are off.
I'm confused, are you saying to remove wax and sealant you would do:

1. Wash with Dawn to remove the wax.
2. Wash with P21s PWC or APC or 50/50 water/alcohol (any of those 3) to remove the sealant

To apply to apply wax and sealant you would then:

3. Polish
4. Repeat step 1
5. Zanio or Wax now

Currently I'm just doing:

1. Dawn to remove
2. Klasse AIO (which I understood to remove the sealant)
3. Klasse SG
4. Wax
Old 06-22-2006, 05:30 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Ron, Much depends on how "good" your paint is. My bet is yours does not need polishing, so dawn to Klasse AIO would be just fine (some would clay...dawn..clay...re-wash then AIO), but again if your paint is in good shape no need to clay.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default AIO

So, do I have this right, to remove sealants, EXP, AJ, SG etc, Dawn and AIO alone will do the job?

I hope so. I don't mind AIO, but it makes me nervous to use 50/50 on my paint.

Now, will P21S paint cleanser remove sealants?

I just to be sure before spending two days with Zaino.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:19 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

OK..I'll try one more time...it depends on the condition of your paint! For mine all I did was dawn, clay bar (which I did not need), Z-7 wash...then Z-5PRO, z-8, Z-2PRO, Z-8, Z-2PRO, Z-8...I just did Z-2Pro followed by Z-8 today (after 4 weeks). So you don't need AIO or paint cleaners if your paint is in good condition.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sorry, let me try again...

Hi,

I follow you....I know what I need to do to get the paint in order. I actually don't need anymore paint prep. My only question is how to get the old sealant off.

For example, is dawn enough? If not, then go to what? 50/50? or AIO?

I only want the old stuff off. My paint is perfect now. I want to go to Zaino.

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:03 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Dawn should do the trick to remove the old sealant. Actually prep is the most important part so don't skimp there (that's why I clayed even though I didn't need it). The paint should feel smooth. Then Zaino away...good luck! (BTW I am happy to help, don't take my comments the wrong way!) oh and Zaino works fine on top of AIO sealant.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:06 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Ron, Much depends on how "good" your paint is. My bet is yours does not need polishing, so dawn to Klasse AIO would be just fine (some would clay...dawn..clay...re-wash then AIO), but again if your paint is in good shape no need to clay.
Thanks for your reply, but I guess I wasn't clear as to what I was looking for.

I know when to polish and use clay, but what I was trying to find out if Deanski was recommending a step after Dawn to remove the existing paint sealant when something like AIO should take care of that already (without an extra step), right?

Make sense now?
Old 06-23-2006, 03:04 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
My only question is how to get the old sealant off. ... For example, is dawn enough?
It's unfortunate that many of you are misguided into using Dawn, a strong dissolver and emulsifier specially formulated to cut grease and oils. Not only will this strong emulsifier dissolve and remove the old wax it will also draw out the oils in your petroleum based rubber seals and molding and prematurely age them as the loss of lubricating oils causes the molding to dry and crack over time. (It is a well known fact in the aerospace industry that the care & handling specs for butyl rubber seals specifically warn against exposure to detergents, for obvious reasons.)

There are specific products made for removing waxes and sealants, namely P21S Paintwork Cleanser, Pinnacle Paintwork Cleaner (what I use), as well as others out there. They just happen to cost a little more than a bottle of Dawn. But Dawn will cost you in the long run by destroying your seals and molding with repeated use. That may not be a concern of yours if you don't plan on keeping your car longer than five years.

If you're one of the unfortunate ones who have been misguided into using this degreaser, I highly recommend immediately using a product such as 303 Aerospace Protectant to nourish and restore the condition of your rubber molding.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:17 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

or my favorite - Griots Garage Paint Prep.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:09 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No DAWN does NOT remove sealants. It WILL remove wax/oils. As for rubber seals, go with 1Z Gummi Pflege, Tiefenpfleger, or good old 303 protectant.

I would prefer the paint cleansers to a degree depending on how much sealant is on. The cleanser will remove any sealant.

Anything alkaline can harm rubber, but if you maintain the seals, there should be no problem as most protectants will put a barrier to protect the seal from high alkaline products.

Deanski
Old 06-23-2006, 10:04 PM
JHD
Intermediate

Default Artic Silver Zaino Pictures

Originally Posted by allegretto
A follow up Dr Shine.

My car is Arctic Silver. Should I go over it with P21S? Or just go to Z-2 then Z-8, then Z-2 then Z-8 etc...
If I have done this correctly, attached are pictures of my 911 after three coats of Z-2 Pro with Z-6 between and topped with Z-8.
Attached Images   
Old 06-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JHD
If I have done this correctly, attached are pictures of my 911 after three coats of Z-2 Pro with Z-6 between and topped with Z-8.
NICE! I really like the new Z8 spray QD!

Get a few shots of the finish up close! I'd love to see how well the silver POPS in Artic Silver!

How do YOU like the Z2-Pro? What did you use prior?

Thanks for the pics!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 06-23-2006, 11:41 PM
JHD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Deanski
NICE! I really like the new Z8 spray QD!

Get a few shots of the finish up close! I'd love to see how well the silver POPS in Artic Silver!

How do YOU like the Z2-Pro? What did you use prior?

Thanks for the pics!

Regards,
Deanski
Pictures really do not do justice to the shine as the brightness of a direct reflection overpowers my limited ability with a camera especially the one of the rear. I first tried out the Zaino Z-5 on a Grey Yukon XL that I have that has 199,500 miles on it before using Z-2 on the Porsche. I was able to put on two coats with an ounce and had a small amount left over. Really helps to pre-wipe with Z-6. Except for the few paint chips on the front hood it made it look as good as new. Both Z-6 and Z-8 serve to "pop" the finish but the Z-8 does do a lot better job.
I had used AIO and P21S previously on the Porsche and they did an excellent job. But after reading about Zaino in this forum, I decided to give it a try. I am really pleased and plan to stay with the Zaino.
I originally wanted a darker color, but after my previous experience in keeping a black Lexus clean, I decided to go with the silver. I am really glad I did.
Regards
Old 06-25-2006, 11:32 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I've tried Zaino and to date I found it very difficult to use. That's just me. Quite frankly it's a lot of "detail arobics". I found that by using Menzerna and Black Fire Products I could achieve a great result with a lot less effort. Is it better than what Zaino can do, maybe not. But to the novice eye it will be hard to tell.

Jay
Old 06-25-2006, 11:51 PM
JHD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DJ23
I've tried Zaino and to date I found it very difficult to use. That's just me. Quite frankly it's a lot of "detail arobics". I found that by using Menzerna and Black Fire Products I could achieve a great result with a lot less effort. Is it better than what Zaino can do, maybe not. But to the novice eye it will be hard to tell.

Jay
Nice. I know that no matter what product one uses it requires a lot of attention to keep the car looking that good.
Regards

Quick Reply: Detailing