Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 03:21 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robbonds
or this?
Kit Contents:

Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay (3 oz. bar)

Sonus Glyde Clay Lubricant (16 oz.)

Sonus SFX-1 Restore Polish (8 oz.)

Sonus SFX-2 Enhance Polish (8 oz.)

Sonus Detailing Spritz (8 oz.)

Sonus Der Wunder Applicators (2)

Sonus SFX Professional Applicator (1)

Sonus Der Wunder Polishing Towels (2)

Sonus Der Wunder Buffing Towels (2)

Klasse All-In-One Sealant (10 oz.)

P21S Carnauba Wax (6.2 oz.).
$125
I'd go for this one. Everything I've used from this list has been excellent except the clay (which many swear by) and I've not used the polishes. I like the Griots polishes better because they are idiot proof, but your basically getting those polishes for free in this deal so you'd be in good shape with this package.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:44 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i ordered
1. sonus glass and chrome polish
2. sonus drying towels
3. sonus wash mitt
4. zaino total protection show car kit
5. zaino tire gloss
6. zaino finale spray seal

hope its as good as everyone says - thanks for all the advice deanski and ronmart
Old 06-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino Order

Originally Posted by robbonds
Thanks Dr. shine - heres what im about to order..

1. zaino kit
ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive
Z-2 PRO™ Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
Z-5 PRO™ Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches
Z-6™ Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray
Z-7™ Show Car Wash
Z-18™ ClayBar
Zaino Metallic Silver Decal
& TWO Zaino Custom Polish Applicator for FREE!

2. zaino tire cleaner

3. zaino z-8 finale

4. flitz chrome cleaner

5. detailers paradise towel from pakshak
6. wash mitt from pakshak

that cover everything?
Yep, that should keep your finish very glosy and last quite a long time.

You'll first make sure the finish is as free from defects (swirls), then wash with a liquid dish detergent (DAWN) to strip any wax or oils and clay the finish. For a lube while using clay, mix some Z7 wash with distilled water in a spray bottle. Save the Z6 for what it's better designed for (QD works and bettween coats). Once clayed, wash one more time, this time with Z7. Once dry, it's time to mix-up your Z5-Pro. Use one of the bottles that comes with the ZFX kit and mark it Z5. Fill it half full (one ounce), add 5 drops of ZFX additive. Shake well, then before you start using it, mist Z6 and wipe off on the finish while the Z5-Pro is activating. Then, with your applicator, mist that lightly with Z6. Put a small amount on the applicator. Apply VERY VERY THIN!! VERY IMPORTANT! It should be hard to see, THAT thin. Go Up/Down on vertical panels and back/forth on horizontal panels. DO the whole car. Let it cure for 30 minutes or more, then wipe/buff off. Next, spray mist Z6 on the finish. Wipe that off and re-apply. DO this for three coats of Z5-Pro. You can substitute Z8 spray for added gloss as well. Once your happy, you can switch to Z2-Pro the next day or whenever as long as you let the Z5-Pro cure for another 24 hours. DO the same thing, Mist Z6 or Z8 before each coat and apply Z2-Pro. Only 3 coats in a day. DOn't mixup the bottles as they can be a pain as it is to clean any remaining Zaino out of them. Also, you HAVE to use the activated Zaino within 12 hours. Never leave any in the bottles. One ounce does a whole car with some left for your wheels.

Maintain with Z8 for added gloss and slickness. If it's really dusty, wash it first with Z7. I use a MF mop that looks close to those California Dusters, but no wax on the mop. I'll mist it to help grab light dust, then I can use Z8 and a MF towel to do a QD. If it seems too heavy, or sand in the dust, I wash.

I use any remaining Zaino mixed for the wheels as it can handle heat better than any wax on a wheel. I've even put it on windows to repel rain. Just remember if you do not to use a harsh cleaner on the glass or you'll remove it.

If I still have some left, I do under the engine cover and hood. ALso, do the door jams and sills.

Enjoy your Zaino and if you have any questions, you can call Sal Zaino! There is also a lot of info on Zaino on both Autopia and Detailcity websites.

If your finish is pretty good, you could just lightly polish it with a paintwork cleanser like P21S or Sonus. If it still needs more work, then it's time to et yourself a "PC" (Porter-Cable) polisher and foam pads. No need for it if the finish is good.

Let me know what you think. I'm sure you'll be happy and find that it's very glossy and slick.

Regards,
Dr. Shine
Old 06-20-2006, 03:47 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i shouldnt need the pc..my car is 1 year old - ive had it waxed once, i wash it atleast once a week...the paint looks perfect
Old 06-20-2006, 05:49 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Good job, I think you'll be a happy camper!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 779 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
. . . If your finish is silver, one wax I will always go to is P21S. That makes silver metallic POP! . . .
As usual, Deanski is right on the money!

YoungTurk
'05 Carrera Cab (Arctic Silver/Stone Grey/Black)
Venture shield clear bra, Xenons, 19" Carrera Classics, Colored Wheel Crests, Clear Sides, Nav, Bose, MFSW, Sports Chrono, Power Seats, Heated Seats, Crested headrests and . . . PSE!
Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2006, 07:41 PM
erikjwells
Intermediate

ok all you detailing fanatics.... I'll have you know.. I ordered the zaino zfx kit... complete with clay bar and a few goodies from autogeek... spent the entire day on saturday, washing, claying, washing, z5, z2, z2 finished with z6 and MAN.... what a shine.

One happy camper here....

I plan on doing the z5-z2 again and see if I cant get some layering on for extra pop this coming weekend.

hopefully I wont have to do the all day saturday thing very often to keep it looking this good...

thanks guys.... <grin>
Old 06-20-2006, 08:04 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by erikjwells
ok all you detailing fanatics.... I'll have you know.. I ordered the zaino zfx kit... complete with clay bar and a few goodies from autogeek... spent the entire day on saturday, washing, claying, washing, z5, z2, z2 finished with z6 and MAN.... what a shine.

I plan on doing the z5-z2 again and see if I cant get some layering on for extra pop this coming weekend.

hopefully I wont have to do the all day saturday thing very often to keep it looking this good...

thanks guys.... <grin>
Gotta see some pics dude!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:09 PM
erikjwells
Intermediate

lol... by the time I finished all the nitpicking on sunday it was dark and the weather has been ugly the last two days... so will have to post a pic later....
Old 06-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by erikjwells

thanks guys.... <grin>
Good to hear! Wait till you use the new Z8 "Grand Finale" spray! It's like crack to me! Get's the finish very glossy and very very slick! It's for the time you really want a bit more.... which is always each day!

Once you get several layers on, it's just one tuff sealant and very easy to maintain. Use what's left for your wheels and brake dust will wash right off. DOn't forget door jams and sills.

Hell, it can even be applied to the glass, but I would not put it on the front windshield.

Sal made some big improvements to both Z5 and Z2 now with the Z5-Pro/Z2-Pro it's much clearer, deeper, wetter looking and no more "Rejex" look of plastic-wrap effect. Much more clear! ANd Z5-Pro hides a bit better.

Sure it takes a bit more work, but once you get the hang of it, it goes quicker. It's always the first application that takes time to perfect the thin application. That's what everyone does since most are used to applying waxes a bit heavier. Zaino HAS to go on THIN.

One of these days I have to take some shots of my black C2S with Aero. With the Zaino sealant, it's the best you can get with black.

Enjoy your Zaino and please get some pics up as well as your thoughts pro/con and your application.

Regards,
Deanski
Dr. Shine
Old 06-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
As usual, Deanski is right on the money!

YoungTurk
'05 Carrera Cab (Arctic Silver/Stone Grey/Black)
Venture shield clear bra, Xenons, 19" Carrera Classics, Colored Wheel Crests, Clear Sides, Nav, Bose, MFSW, Sports Chrono, Power Seats, Heated Seats, Crested headrests and . . . PSE!
Thanks as I've always used P21S or S100 (same stuff only cheaper at motorcycle shops as S100) for silver metallics.

As for Zaino on silver metallic, one of my detailers has just treated his new Infinity G35 with Zaino and it looks sick!

Look at these pics! They look a whole lot better in person!

Deanski
Attached Images   
Old 06-21-2006, 01:20 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Dr Shine, do you know the PC part # and what polishing pads to use? I don't need it for my p-car but, I want to get one to do my fathers caddy and my truck. Oh yeah, thanks for the info on the Zaino. My car looks great. I planning on doing a couple more coats this weekend. I just ordered some Z8.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:13 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default PC Polisher

Originally Posted by meaker
Dr Shine, do you know the PC part # and what polishing pads to use? I don't need it for my p-car but, I want to get one to do my fathers caddy and my truck. Oh yeah, thanks for the info on the Zaino. My car looks great. I planning on doing a couple more coats this weekend. I just ordered some Z8.
Here's a few "kits" that have the polisher, backing plate and pads.

Autopia PC Kit

CMA PC Kit

Or if you just want the Porter Cable 7424 by itself:

Coastal Tool PC

Whichever you go with, you'll need several pads. One cutting pad, a few polishing pads and a few finish pads.

Regards,
Deanski
Dr. Shine
Old 06-21-2006, 10:59 AM
billco
Instructor

What would your advise be for a car with spider web type scratching, if you wanted to use Zaino product. Is there a way to hide, rather than enhance this type of scratching, before applying Z5, or Z2. I thought Z5 was designed to hide scratches, but recent posts seem to say it can enhance minor scratches. Seems to be a paradox.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

You can use a paint cleanser first to try to minimize spider webbing, but to be honest, you're better off removing them. To remove swirls etc, you need a "PC" or have a detailer do it for you.

Z5-Pro WILL hide, but it's no glaze. It does hide minor stuff. Because Zaino is so clear, it does bring out defects. Z5-Pro will stop some of it. Problem with glaze and Zaino is most glaze use oils for filling. Once you wash to strip oils, there goes the filling.

Z2-Pro is the clearest of the Zaino line. It on it's own is very very clear and does enhance defects due to the light captured in the spiderwebbing.

After 3 coats of Z5-Pro stops most of the marring to show. It fills to a degree, but again, very light filling if you're used to a glaze/wax combo. Remember, not only a glaze fills, but so does a wax. Waxes contain the oils for the caranuba and does hide/fill as well.

I've told most people that like Zaino and have used Z5-Pro but still see marring etc that it's time to have them removed. The marring is too deep for Z5-Pro to fill.

Zaino does make a polish prior to sealant and from what I've heard, works very well. It's called PC Fusion Dual-Action Cleaner Swirl Remover. This is what should be used if Z5-Pro does not do enough for you.

There are a plethora of polishes out that remove swirls, and each has it's pros/cons. I use Menzerna polishes from Germany, which are used by German car companies (MB, Porsche, Maybach etc). Some are a bit geared to detailers in the trade, but do have some for consumer use.

Hope I answered your question.

Deanski

Quick Reply: Detailing