Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Install pics 997

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"No highs, no lows... Must be BOSE" As the old saying goes.

Yes I have it in my C2S, but it's better than std stereo for now.

I used to sell all high-end stereo gear long ago, and I'd love to have a nice system like that! My home system back in the day was sick.

Geez, how many caps did you install to keep power to it?

I also like that decal type emblem on the glovebox! NICE TOUCH!

Enjoy it in good health!

Deanski
Old 06-16-2006, 10:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dtm407
I......What the tact system does is map the room faults with test tones and correct/shape the sound by computer generated time-delay algorithm/equalization curves.-the transformation is stunning
This is probably what Bose has done. They have “mapped” the inside of the 997, determined the deficits, and corrected them with a digital crossover and equalizer.
Close, but not exactly. The target is not for a 'flat' correction/response, but rather based on correcting for the interior design/materials (fabric vs leather carries different tunings), speaker types/locations along with application of psychoacoustic tunings for freq/phase compensation. Psychoacoustics are subjective (actually what part of audio isn't), but most people tend to chose this 'standard EQ' in double blind A/B listening tests over the past 25 years.

Thousands of measurements are taken over a couple of months of garage testing and test drives and the systems engineer then manipulates the EQ based on algorithm results but more importantly, experience. As mentioned, PAG approves the final tunings......strange, the Germans can never seem to get enough bass......

BTW, the small amp box described by black/terra could be a “digital” amp/crossover/equalizer
The amplifier is a DSP based MOST connected amplifier. The DSP is responsible for the tunings/EQ (along with AudioPilot vehicle noise cancellation) and 2 microcontrollers manage the communcation/housekeeping and MOST protocol. In MY03+ Porsches (Cayenne, 996, 997, 986, 987), the same amplifier is used. It has 6 linear channels and one switching amplifier channel.

I read an interview in a speaker builder magazine in which an audio engineer from Harmon industries talked about the cost of the car speakers installed in the ford, gm cars that they contracted with. He was proud when he can up with a speaker (from literally a bin of parts) that cost $.09! After presenting this speaker to his bosses, they told him it was too expensive and he would need to shave $.05-.07 off! BTW, he pulled it off.doug
BTW, FWIW, there is quite a large difference between the OEM equipment cost to PAG and the final sticker price......PAG is in the business of making money after all.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:38 AM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris C.
I think the point is there is a way to discuss improvements on your car without dumping on the brand, insulting those who might like their exhausts, or appearing pompous. Not all of us give a rats **** about sound systems in a performance car...most enthusiasts are more interested in go-fast mods than in flashy customizations.

The 997 appeals to a broad range of demographics, as evident by this thread. Live and let live.

As for you guys who have to throw your personal politics into a discussion of car stereos, you're just sad.

Geez, what a bunch. I invite you guys need to go hang on the 993 Board to understand the class that can go along with the marque and how Porsche owners can support one another.
Right on. As always Chris C.,you are a voice of wisdom.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:53 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Close, but not exactly. The target is not for a 'flat' correction/response, but rather based on correcting for the interior design/materials (fabric vs leather carries different tunings), speaker types/locations along with application of psychoacoustic tunings for freq/phase compensation. Psychoacoustics are subjective (actually what part of audio isn't), but most people tend to chose this 'standard EQ' in double blind A/B listening tests over the past 25 years.

Thousands of measurements are taken over a couple of months of garage testing and test drives and the systems engineer then manipulates the EQ based on algorithm results but more importantly, experience. As mentioned, PAG approves the final tunings......strange, the Germans can never seem to get enough bass......

Itc-
Thanks for your always informative and educational replys !!
Old 06-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW: B/T did a great job of posting pix. Why would anyone give a f**k what his motives are, and why should he be criticized for either his taste or opinions. If you don't care for taste, look, opinion and feel compelled to sound off, just note you don't care for it and leave personal BS out of the eqution. But one can't criticize the nice documentation pix.

FWIW-II: Posrsche is not the gold-standard guys, for all that moves (yeah, I know no one contended such, but one could sure unfer that from some of the posts). I pre-ordered a 99tt until I saw the (IMHO) butt-ugly front and rear. It's as if PAG said to themselves "Gee the F360 and F430 integrate the exhaust into the rear, and they're pricey cars so let's go for it, too." Genuinely carppy look (again, IMHO). So then I had a July build slot for 997 C4S Cab, until I (IMHO) realized that the new semi-retro headlamps came as a package with irrelevant turn/fog lamps. Someone tell me why (ITHO) the extra lights, when turn signals could have been integrated in the grill work. At least they brealized the error of their design-ways and tried to correct it with the tt. How many 997 drivers actually use fog lamps? Change the front-end of the 997tt so that turn signals are in the fog lamp blisters and color over the stupid-looking LEDs and then the 997tt has a front-end that is ok (IMHO) and an *** that's still butt-ugly.

So much FWIW and humble opinions. B/T, nice post!
Old 06-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Raptor: Who gives a crap about your HOs. (Now all bases are covered.)
Old 07-22-2006, 01:25 AM
drex
Track Day

Originally Posted by black/terra
head unit removal. Note in the second shot the CAN_BUS plug. This is the devil that gives you PASM and PCM Failure codes when unplugged. Also toggles do not operate in PASM panel when this plug is open. These are the critical four wires that need to be spliced and lengthened and connected back to the moved OEM headunit now placed in the CD changer area.

To clear the two error codes you will get if you unplug this connector, simply turn your wheel hard left, then hard right then drive the car for 2 minutes.
Nice install! I too applaud your mods. I am new here, yet run a car forum and also see this type of response to new blood posting 'off center' information.

I'm sure it sounds great. I am very interested in the photos of the subs; please do post them when they are ready!

Cheers!
Old 07-22-2006, 09:39 AM
drex
Track Day

the subs came out real nice
Old 10-03-2006, 12:22 PM
eecsdude
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dash display

I think the answer to this question is no, but just to make sure: Do you still have dash text scrolling capabilities under the tach using this new headunit?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:30 PM
golfman
Instructor

What did they install as far amps, speakers, if I could ask what was the cost for the install. They did a nice job on the head unit. Is that a piece of carbon fiber around the unit or abs plastic. Nice flush mount on the amps in the trunk.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:51 PM
black/terra
Racer

yes the scrolling works perfectly
Old 10-03-2006, 02:52 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Didn't he sell his 997 Cab. with the hot stereo for a Bentley???

Last edited by MHC2S; 10-03-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:28 PM
eecsdude
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

yes the scrolling works perfectly
I thought the tach display was controlled by the CAN bus or something to that effect. Does this mean the Pioneer AVIC Z1 is capable of connecting to this?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:44 PM
lazlo9
Advanced

I blasted BOSE, yes, I have not blasted anyone. I give my opinion and others can agree or disagree.

As for being new, whats your point there? I feel I contribure what I can, I dont get involved in areas I know nothing about. If you read my posts, I generally post my own areas and rarely involve myself in other peoples areas unless its something I'm interested in.

I am new to the 997 as well as a lot of people on here, the cars only been out a few years.

So again, give me one example of someone I blasted for not sharing my taste.

If you read this entire post it is obvious that many p-car owners are put off by your mods and comments about the stereo system they paid extra for... however, I agree that you have not done anything but share your car and your opinions and did NOTHING to attack anyone on this post. I personally don't like what your car looks like (kind of ghetto in my eyes) nor the choice to modify the face plate because I am a bit more of a purist, but to each his own right? Happy trails!
Old 10-04-2006, 01:18 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default wow

havnt changed much around here I see.

Quick Reply: Stereo Install pics 997