Sponsored by:

Stereo Install pics 997

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 05:01 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
just out of curiosity why not add the pics to the thread you had already started about the stereo mod?

best,
jeff
Seems to me like "stereo install pics 997" is a different topic and would be seen and enjoyed by more people than the old thread "stereo installation tomorrow."
Old 06-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Carbon_Ted
Advanced

Clean. What was the total tab on that- around $10?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:14 PM
icruze
Racer

Nice install, I appreciate the detailed pictures.

I believe you mentioned that you have a hard drive to load cds (do you have ipod connection as well?). I couldn't tell from the pictures, but where do you load cds. Is it part of the head unit or is it in the trunk?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:16 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default when you hit eject button face drops to reveal CD/DVD slot

Originally Posted by icruze
Nice install, I appreciate the detailed pictures.

I believe you mentioned that you have a hard drive to load cds (do you have ipod connection as well?). I couldn't tell from the pictures, but where do you load cds. Is it part of the head unit or is it in the trunk?
The screen is motorized.

As far as the HD recording, whenever you put in a CD, you have the option of recording the info onto the HD. This can happen while you listen, in fact if youre recording the entire album, you can be on to listening to the next track while the DL is still happening to the previous track, kinda like "ripping" a CD on your PC while listening.

I ordered SIRIUS yesterday (lifetime plan for $499 flat rate) and it works perfectly. Stern, Playboy, NFL league local weather and traffic...Delicious...

No IPOD connection but can be added for $79. Bluetooth to come in a week or so, awaiting improved module.

Last edited by black/terra; 06-14-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:22 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default The install was done by SOUND INNOVATIONS

in Hayward California.

http://soundinnovations.com/flash/index.html

They are the best in the Bay Area. Talk to Ernie about price, etc. Relatively speaking, the install was pretty easy, a lot simpler than you might think. Shouldnt be more expensive than a basic install without PCM.

Mention my install pics as I told him I would use my car as a demo/guinea pig.

510 471 9062
Old 06-14-2006, 06:23 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Sick, Sick, Sick install. It looks awesome. Best Wishes with that increadible sound system.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:45 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by black/terra
The screen is motorized.

As far as the HD recording, whenever you put in a CD, you have the option of recording the info onto the HD. This can happen while you listen, in fact if youre recording the entire album, you can be on to listening to the next track while the DL is still happening to the previous track, kinda like "ripping" a CD on your PC while listening.

I ordered SIRIUS yesterday (lifetime plan for $499 flat rate) and it works perfectly. Stern, Playboy, NFL league local weather and traffic...Delicious...

No IPOD connection but can be added for $79. Bluetooth to come in a week or so, awaiting improved module.
Looks great - congrats!! Where did you put the Sirius antenna?
Old 06-14-2006, 07:17 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Man, that's too invasive for me to do. I couldn't bring myself to do that. I would be interested in your toughts in a couple of months of use. Keep us posted...
Old 06-14-2006, 07:40 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default invasive? I gotta go look that up

The sat antenna (and nav antenna) both fit perfectly in the center dash speaker hole.

When I get around to it, Ill post pics of the factory speakers you guys spent all that money for. I dont think Radio Shack would carry them, theyre light weight paper coned garbage. And the amp? about the size of a box of frozen corn...man if you guys really knew.

Ill go to the Cannery Row meet and let a few guys here this thing once the subs get installed.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:51 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice!

"When I get around to it, Ill post pics of the factory speakers you guys spent all that money for. I dont think Radio Shack would carry them, theyre light weight paper coned garbage. And the amp? about the size of a box of frozen corn...man if you guys really knew."

are you taking about the Bose or the regular system? I thought you didn't have Bose
Old 06-14-2006, 08:01 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sat antenna (and nav antenna) both fit perfectly in the center dash speaker hole.

When I get around to it, Ill post pics of the factory speakers you guys spent all that money for. I dont think Radio Shack would carry them, theyre light weight paper coned garbage. And the amp? about the size of a box of frozen corn...man if you guys really knew.

Ill go to the Cannery Row meet and let a few guys here this thing once the subs get installed.

Ok, that will be great. But, if you go to Cannery Row, you'll be about 50 miles further south than needed. The meeting place is Santana Row in San Jose.

www.santanarow.com

MC
Old 06-14-2006, 08:01 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default Boss, Bose, Bunk, Bust, Bunch of garbage....

We pull Bose systems out of cars daily...

It's absolute rubbish. My car literally sounds like a nightclub with one 8.

Not boasting or anything but man, If I hear one more person use the words Bose and Premium in one sentence one more time, I think I'm going to PUKE!

Theres NOTHING premium about BOSE. BOSE designs speakers for OEM cars the play the prequesncy they are supposed to and the amps have EQ curves built in to "smooth" the sound at all listening levels. It's absolutely artificial sound made to sound the least bad as can be had by speaker components that probably cost no more than $60 for the entire 11 pc set. No one will beleive this on here but thats OK, one must take some comfort in their decision but to give you an idea, if you took apart a clock radio, the quality of the speaker would be about equivalent to BOSE.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:02 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This is my first post and I am know I am going to get flamed for it!!!

God forbid, though I will probably do it, did you add any Dynamat Sound Insulation? I know will add weight but it should make the sound better?

2006 Carrera S
Old 06-14-2006, 09:10 PM
AnthonySp
Advanced

We pull Bose systems out of cars daily...

It's absolute rubbish. Theres NOTHING premium about BOSE.
I would agree with the above statement, and I think anyone who knows anything about premium quality audio equipment would agree as well. But, I will say that on a dollar for dollar basis the overall sound quality, appearance and functionality of the Bose system in the 997 beats what you can do in the aftermarket.

While Bose may not be the best manufacturer of high quality equipment, for 99% of people it will more than suffice. Overall, it is pretty good considering that you are driving around in a little metal (open top in the case of a cab) container. I would bet it would be very difficult to get a system that sounds as good, looks as good and works as well for the same price as the Bose system.

Of course, I also spend a lot of money on records and don't even listen to my CDs at home so my views maybe sligthly biased on the audio front. I just cannot see dropping all that cash on a system that cannot compete (in terms of overall sound quality) with even a moderately priced home system.

That said, I appreciate the care you took in making it integrate with the interior components.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:23 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default well I would disagree with one aspect.....

Bose sounds OK until you hear a real system. Not that BOSE is OK for 99% of people.

If you grow up in a third world country, flies may be OK with your dinner...or bathing in a public river and all that but once you get exposed to another way of life...people tend to morph their value system. Not one person will hear this system and ever again say that Bose is fine. Not one. One may say they dont see the value in the cost but thats a different point entirely.

In other words Bose may sound good enough for those that already spent $3K for it and is unwilling to spend more.

Quick Reply: Stereo Install pics 997