Sponsored by:

PCCB question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 12:00 PM
benfmd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCB question

How often do the ceramic brake rotors have to be replaced? DO the standard brake rotors last longer?

I plan on tracking a 997 S (when I get one) about once per month.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2006, 01:02 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PCCB Gen2 brakes are Phenominal!
The new design is very robust, but you will not find any published claims.

I can say this, the Porsche Driving Experience (PDE) PCCB MY05 equiped Carrera S cars logged 8,000 "track" miles at Barber Motorsports Park, driven by everyone from Pro Drivers who know proper track braking technique to course particpants who know little of proper technique.

The results of this "Test Bed" were extremely positive, NO rotor failures or replacement,
Only pad replacement.

You need to drive PCCB and Steel back to back and see the differance for yourself.

Your mileage will vary

Sign-up for PDE and experience the difference in a "real world" track environment for yourself..
http://www.porschedriving.com/

Old 06-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

I went with my 997S once on the track and the PCCB is just amazing. No fading at all. At the end of the day when some cars (including 996TT) quitted due to no brakes, my PCCB performed exactly the same as first thing in the morning, and it was a hot sunny day.
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2006, 08:39 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Don't forget the added benefit of no dust. Cleaning the wheels is so easy.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:27 AM
flash1034
Pro

And dont forget the added benefit of initial cost and replacement parts cost.

Flash
Old 06-05-2006, 01:09 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by benfmd
How often do the ceramic brake rotors have to be replaced? DO the standard brake rotors last longer?

I plan on tracking a 997 S (when I get one) about once per month.

Thanks

Have them on my C2S, they are like anchors on a track! With the PCCB's the hats are aluminum and shed even more weight off. Wear? what wear?

Sure, replacement rotors are big $$$$ but as long as you don't take them off track if you know what I mean, they will last a long time. I do hear some teams chaning from ceramic rotors to steel at track, but keping the 6 piston calipers and adding new pads. Kind of defeats the purpose of these things!

Pedal feel is same no matter what you throw at it.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 06-05-2006, 01:19 PM
crg1717
Advanced

i went with ceramic for the reasons listed above but also the fact that down the road they can be be replaced with regular brakes. crg
Old 06-06-2006, 11:32 AM
infestation
Instructor

They are very robust.

The rotors on my now sold '05 launch edition looked new at 35,000 miles.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:01 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand that the wet performnce of these brakes is not good. That would be a major drawback from my point of view.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
I have noted that the PCCB’s are more susceptible to damage than steel rotors. What do you do at tire change time? Does Porsche have a special tool or technique to facilitate wheel removal and re-install that insures that the PCCB rotor is never contacted by the wheel?

Look in the owner's manual. In there they discuss the use of a couple of alignment tools that you screw into the 14mm holes (bolt holes) on the hub to secure the wheel from slipping as you remove the remaining 3 bolts. Once the wheel is removed the guide tools are unscrewed.

Not rocket science. It is theorized that anyone who has been intelligent enough to be wealthy enough to be able to BUY one of these cars must have a little on the ball and could probably afford to pay someone to do that for them if they can't do it for themselves.

Originally Posted by boolala
I understand that the wet performnce of these brakes is not good. That would be a major drawback from my point of view.
As an old Porsche guy, I would be greatly surprised to find that Porsche would pursue a brake design that wasn't equal to or better in the wet. Afterall, it rains a lot in Germany. What would make them less effective?

Dan
PCCBs on mine
Old 06-06-2006, 02:22 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
I have noted that the PCCB’s are more susceptible to damage than steel rotors. What do you do at tire change time? Does Porsche have a special tool or technique to facilitate wheel removal and re-install that insures that the PCCB rotor is never contacted by the wheel?
Assembly aids (2) (Long locating rod) are required...however
The tools required for changing a wheel (e.g. jack, wheel bolt wrench, assembly aids) are not supplied with the car.
Your authorized Porsche dealer will be pleased to advise you. (read sell to you).

Screw in two assembly aids for vehicles with Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes.....
Old 06-06-2006, 03:32 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wet performance problem I read about was when they were run through a car wash. Evidently the PCCB's have little or no bite when they are dripping wet. This condition does not apply to normal driving conditions, even in heavy rain. Onc PCCB owner said they left a car wash and couldn't stop the car... Just something to be cautious about but not an issue under normal wet driving conditions.

MC
Old 06-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Between hand washes I take my pccb-equiped car to a no-touch car wash. After which, my car has the braking ability of a childs sled. Two or three quick 'hard-brake-runs' are required to dry them quickly.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Azurro_California_911
Instructor

Don't forget the bitchin yellow color. It's a 12 on the awsomeness scale
Old 06-08-2006, 02:00 PM
brickster
Intermediate

I have no direct experience but there was a car review when they first tested the 997S with them and the reviewer said that the stopping time in wet conditions was at times, "heart stopping."-- a comment meant to indicate that there was a lag in the stopping distance. That being said, I do not have any direct experience to confirm or not.

Quick Reply: PCCB question