Sponsored by:

Woke up to a flat tire this morning :-( do you guys have tire fixed or

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:28 AM
setUout
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Woke up to a flat tire this morning :-( do you guys have tire fixed or

do u have tire replaced. My tire has about 700 miles on it. Well the pump provided in trunk worked well. Got it to get me to work. Waiting on tire shops or dealer to open so i can either have it fixed or replaced. What to do?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Did you put the goop into it? Or simply find the culprit? I ALWAYS carry a radial tire repair kit with me and with these tires it is quite reasonable to have them dismount it, do a patch, and remount it. IF it wasn't too large or affected a cord/structural element.

Into a sidewall? Think really hard on that and how you drivethe car.

dan
Old 05-30-2006, 12:47 PM
setUout
Advanced

I just added air no goop and drove it to work. Since i work only a few miles from home. Just deciding whether i want to have it patched or replaced. Can get expensive replacing all the time since i always have strings of bad luck with flats. About a year back i had gotten 7 flats in a 3 week span.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:56 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

If repairable, that is the way I would go.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:04 PM
setUout
Advanced

Yeah service advisor just called back and said i should just have it repaired. Well im off to america's tire co. at least they have a policy that if they damage a wheel they will repair or replace.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:44 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by setUout
Yeah service advisor just called back and said i should just have it repaired. Well im off to america's tire co. at least they have a policy that if they damage a wheel they will repair or replace.
Just ask them to be careful with the wheel
Old 05-30-2006, 01:50 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had 3 nails in two tires and had them both repaired with a patch inside. make sure they balance them....in fact, only take it to someone that knows how to patch them. Both of my tires have been fine since fixed 4k miles ago. good luck
Old 05-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Well I've had 3 punctures, twice in the rear and once in the front. If I didn't drive past 125mph, I'd repair it, but I do and quite frequently so I replace. But I did patch the tires as a backup spare. I'm going to buy some old 19" wheels and use them as a spare.
Btw did you buy the tire and wheel insurance? Check with them. They usually replace if the damage is bad.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

I got a flat last week; two screws in the tread. A patch is fine if it's in the tread. There has been an internet rumor going 'round that patching lowers the speed rating on a tire, but Michelin was quoted in R&T last year saying that it's not true.

Definitely tell them to be careful with the wheel. Show them any scratches (or that there aren't any scratches) before they go at it. Ideally you want them to re-balance the wheel, hand torque the lugs and not use an impact wrench...I've never seen a tire shop do this without asking.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:41 PM
setUout
Advanced

Well im back. All went well no dings, nicks or scratches. When i bought car i was advised that wheel and tire insurance was no longer avail. Ill porbably replace later on since im gonna change out wheels in a few months anyways. Then ill have 2 backups for front and rear. Just need to decide which wheels. The cool thing was since ive bought a few sets of tires for other cars from americas tire co. they didnt charge me today.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:38 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I got a flat last week; two screws in the tread. A patch is fine if it's in the tread. There has been an internet rumor going 'round that patching lowers the speed rating on a tire, but Michelin was quoted in R&T last year saying that it's not true.
You're right. It shouldn't lose the speed rating. But if you can't be sure of the repair job cos you're away from the guys you know... well I've had blow outs at 140mph... it's not fun.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:18 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really bad advice given here. Porsche specifically states that plugging or repaired tires are not recommended.

I have a dealer brochure on Tires from Porsche. Here is what's stated:

Porsche approved N spec tires should NOT be repaired or plugged. A tire returning to service after such a repair will carry NO SPEED RATING. Additionally, a punctured tire may have other internal damage not visibly appearant. The internal damage does not "heal" with the repair. The repercussion of this could be severe for your vehicle and you.

Patching is better than plugging. For street driving, you are probly OK. If you track or drive aggressively all the time, I'd spend the extra money for a new tire.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:31 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by djantlive
Really bad advice given here. Porsche specifically states that plugging or repaired tires are not recommended.
I have a dealer brochure on Tires from Porsche. Here is what's stated:
Porsche approved N spec tires should NOT be repaired or plugged. A tire returning to service after such a repair will carry NO SPEED RATING. Additionally, a punctured tire may have other internal damage not visibly appearant. The internal damage does not "heal" with the repair. The repercussion of this could be severe for your vehicle and you.
Patching is better than plugging. For street driving, you are probly OK. If you track or drive aggressively all the time, I'd spend the extra money for a new tire.
The thing is that Porsche is covering its liabilities. Michelin and Bridgestone both allow their tires to be repaired and maintain their speed rating. Others don't because they can't control the quality of the repair. I replaced because I was out of town and didn't know the guys doing the repairs. Plus I'd be pushing the car.
The Rubber Manufacturers Assoc have a guideline on proper repair. The proper procedure is a multi step process. I would tend to believe the manufacturer of the tire more than the car.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:18 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens if one uses the "goop"? Can the tire repair shop easily remove that stuff during the actual repair? It looks pretty vile!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:34 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

The modern goop appears to have less explosive hazzard than the old. They simply wipe it out with a whole bunch of shop towels.
The real risk with a repair is that the tire was driven deflated and there is inapparant sidewall injury. This isn't a factor when you notice the tire low, or have a leak that deflates it at standstill.
I have had more than one flat in a tire, but never a failure of repair. I've said before, your risk of failure from another flat in the same tire is far greater than failure of a patch. AS

Quick Reply: Woke up to a flat tire this morning :-( do you guys have tire fixed or