Sponsored by:

Woke up to a flat tire this morning :-( do you guys have tire fixed or

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 09:14 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I've never trusted patches, and as a result have always replaced tires that have punctured. Expensive, and probably irrational, but...
Old 05-31-2006, 10:03 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

It's also a balancing issue. Patching tires creates an unusual area on the tire that is weighted out of balance. Sure they speed balance the tire, to the best of the computer's ability, but if you push your car at high speeds on the track or off, you are better off replacing the tire. For city driving, don't worry about it. I agree with Alex and so do tire experts, tire failure is significantly increased on a patched tire. I don't know about you guys, but I just don't want to the risk of a blow-out or another flat.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:10 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's millions and millions of patched tires on the roads. People drive them at sustained highway speeds which could be up to 80-90 mph in the USA. All those patched tires yet, you don't see rusting wrecks and charred remains lining the roadways!

I figure Porsche wants the tires to be failsafe for sustained driving at the approx 180mph top speed of the car; from that POV no patched tire will be acceptable. Makes sense because the difference between forces on tires going 80 and 150 or 190 is major and extreme.

Get a competant tire shop to evaluate the tire and patch it if minimal damage allows. Hit 130 now and then to (illegally) pass, but don't press your luck by driving in Montana for an hour at 150+

That's my us$.02
Old 05-31-2006, 05:18 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I just repaired an almost new tire which had a nail in the tread. Wheel Enhancement recommended repairing it because the sidewall was fine and it was just a small nail, repaired with a patch. I trust those guys - they have always given good advice even when its less profitable for them. They always hand torque the lugs - don't need to ask.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:32 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check with your dealer/manufacture first. You may have a limited warranty offering partial accident replacement coverage on your tire with only 700 miles.

Patched tires are not safe at very high speeds, for example if you run 120+ mph. Otherwise if patched properly should be fine, imo.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:46 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

People, if you choose to replace your tire rather than [safely] repair it, by all means do...it's your tire, your car, and your peace of mind. But please don't justify your actions by making unsubstantiated claims such as "...tire failure is significantly increased on a patched tire" and "Patched tires are not safe at very high speeds". It is simply not true.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:24 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a nail in the rear of one of my PS2's at around 6,500 miles. I replaced both rears to be on the safe side. I don't believe in patches on such a fast car period. I figure if one can afford the car, one can afford the shoes that go on the car if that makes any sense.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
People, if you choose to replace your tire rather than [safely] repair it, by all means do...it's your tire, your car, and your peace of mind. But please don't justify your actions by making unsubstantiated claims such as "...tire failure is significantly increased on a patched tire" and "Patched tires are not safe at very high speeds". It is simply not true.
Alan
I think what my fear of repairing vs replacing is the quality of the repair. I went to this place when I had a flat in my front. They said plug or patch. I wanted a plug and patch, the proper way of doing it. I know a guy who does it right. But not everyone does or knows how to. So if you just patch or plug then it isn't properly repaired and the speed rating isn't valid anymore.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:09 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
Alan
So if you just patch or plug then it isn't properly repaired and the speed rating isn't valid anymore.
What I heard is:

The plug is to fill the hole and make the sides of the hole stick together.

The patch is an airtight material used to keep the tire from having a chronic slow leak. Insides of tires are coated with such a material since rubber by itself will allow air to escape.

So the patch might not have any effect on the speed rating.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Here's the article I originally referred to:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=5
Old 06-05-2006, 07:53 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

MHC,
Sorry, it doesn't make any sense. If they wear out, you can afford new tires-that makes sense.
If they are perfectly good but have an easily remidiable problem and you throw them away, that's just throwing away money- far different from spending it-tho you can afford either.
What do you do with 2 brand new rears when you pick up a small nail and a slow leak at 1,000 miles? Buy another one? What happens if you get another flat 2 weeks later? Yet another?
You can afford it, but it's a waste. Just like throwing away C notes. AS
Old 06-06-2006, 01:39 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
MHC,
Sorry, it doesn't make any sense. If they wear out, you can afford new tires-that makes sense.
If they are perfectly good but have an easily remidiable problem and you throw them away, that's just throwing away money- far different from spending it-tho you can afford either.
What do you do with 2 brand new rears when you pick up a small nail and a slow leak at 1,000 miles? Buy another one? What happens if you get another flat 2 weeks later? Yet another?
You can afford it, but it's a waste. Just like throwing away C notes. AS

I would replace the tires on my car not matter what, safty first for me. To each his own!!!!

Quick Reply: Woke up to a flat tire this morning :-( do you guys have tire fixed or