Non Export Agreement

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 02:55 AM
mike66
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non Export Agreement

Hi there
I've just bought an 4S convertible and will pick it up this week. My dealer has sent me a pretty unexpected form, a "Non Export Agreement". It says that there was a $15,000.- penalty which I would have to pay if the car was exported outside of the USA within 12 months of the initial purchase date. Porsche apparently doesn't like Europeans to buy cars in the USA which could be attractive for them due to the favorable exchange rate. I live and work in Europe and Seattle and the dealer probably thought that I plan something like that... I've protested but the dealer insists that every buyer of a Porsche in the USA has to sign this agreement. I just can't believe that. Is that true? I think it's an unacceptable restriction which probably not many of us would be willing to accept. If I buy and pay a car, I want to do with it whatever I wish. Did all of you 997 buyers have to sign such an agreement? Thanks for your quick and appreciated replies
Cheers,
Mike
Old 05-29-2006, 03:15 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of that and of course I did not sign one when I got mine in last Christmas
Old 05-29-2006, 04:12 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Tell them you can take your business to another dealer.
If they insist it's Porsche, not them, tell them there's many other sports car manufactureres that would be happy to sell you a car.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:33 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I wasn't shown such an agreement and my car was euro delivery too. I did sign a promise to export agreement with German customs. This is news to me. I'd bring my business elsewhere if I were you. And if Porsche did insist on that, well I know Maserati wants my business again. I give them money to tell me what to do with my car? That's the government I'm almost cool with that, a car maufacturer? Fat chance. Even Ferrari doesn't do that to their european customers for US export. A used car tax is much cheaper than new car tax in europe. Plus the russian market wants all the ferrari and porsches they can get.

Last edited by Eggplant Cab; 05-29-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:42 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

What if you move to Canada for business, say Vancouver?
anyways if you have to move early and need a place to keep it until the 6 mos. are up, feel free to drive it up from seattle.
Actually, I'll even pick it up for you
Old 05-29-2006, 10:32 AM
odysseycpm
Intermediate

I was presented (and signed) a similar agreement when I picked up an AMG. I have heard about other mfg's requiring dealers to enforce signing in instances where the probability of export out of the US is higher. If your dealer was aware of your work 50/50 work arrangement between US/EU he may have deemed that enough to present you with the letter.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Just bought my C2S two weeks ago and didn't sign any type of form like this.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Carbon_Ted
Advanced

That is ridiculous, don't sign it. When you refuse, they'll grumble about it & then sell you the car anyway.

For them to cite the potential for export to Europe is a ruse, Porsche is worried about Canadian resale. Porsche should bring Cd. prices into closer parity with U.S. if they want to eliminate the potential for pre-owned export.
God forbid that competitive market forces should interfere with profit maximization!
Old 05-29-2006, 10:48 AM
drbf
Pro

I had no such an agreement and would refuse to sign. Check with other dealers in your area as well.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:57 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Had to sign similar form several months ago during MB ML purchase. Supposively this was MB response to volume exports into South America by Miami dealers and how that effected dealers' "volume status". Since I had no plans to ship my car to Ecuador any time soon it was no big deal.
Jack
Old 05-29-2006, 11:03 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Heard of them before and we even have them here.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:19 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how would they enforce it? Are they going to visit your home periodically to see if the car is still there? Have they leased a squadron of black helicopters to follow owners around.

All kidding aside, simply refuse to sign it and they'll probably sell you the car anyway. If they won't, then what's the harm if you aren't going to export it anyway?

My 2 cents.

MC
Old 05-29-2006, 07:12 PM
JMaples
Advanced

If you sign the agreement, you are transferring a property right, which has some value. Therefore, use it as a bargaining chip to argue for reduced price.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:04 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I could see them doing that for a car you finance but if you pay for the car in full I don't see how they can do that.

When I took Euro delivery of a car when I lived in Italy I had to sign a form saying that I would export the car to the US (i.e. not sell it in Europe) but that was because Mercedes paid for the VAT security deposit.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:16 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mike66
Hi there
I've just bought an 4S convertible and will pick it up this week. My dealer has sent me a pretty unexpected form, a "Non Export Agreement". It says that there was a $15,000.- penalty which I would have to pay if the car was exported outside of the USA within 12 months of the initial purchase date. Porsche apparently doesn't like Europeans to buy cars in the USA which could be attractive for them due to the favorable exchange rate. I live and work in Europe and Seattle and the dealer probably thought that I plan something like that... I've protested but the dealer insists that every buyer of a Porsche in the USA has to sign this agreement. I just can't believe that. Is that true? I think it's an unacceptable restriction which probably not many of us would be willing to accept. If I buy and pay a car, I want to do with it whatever I wish. Did all of you 997 buyers have to sign such an agreement? Thanks for your quick and appreciated replies
Cheers,
Mike
Protectionism at it's worst! You own the car and you should be able to do what you please with it.

Quick Reply: Non Export Agreement