Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted seat backs - easily scratched / scuffed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 12:06 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Painted seat backs - easily scratched / scuffed?

I'm considering the painted seat backs (speed yellow to match, of course) - but we regularly have stuff in the back seat that get shifted around during "spirited driving".

How easily do the painted seats (or console, for that matter) pick up scratches and scuffs?

And is it really noticeable, or would you expect the clear coat to pick them up and make them hard to see without very close examination?

Can you buff it out via swirl remover like you would exterior paint?

I haven't seen too many guys here with the painted seats, so I'm hoping one of you will be able to chime in. I still have some time to make any changes to my order, so I'm now down to the "nice to haves".
Old 05-20-2006, 12:33 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I have the adaptive sport seats with a painted back but this is a standard metallic that matches the trim pieces, not the car color. I have acquired many scratches through the paint, from my 4 y/o daughter's feet on the back of the passenger seat, and behind the driver's seat from putting stuff in the backseat. I imagine the painted seats would be a little more durable, but scratches seem inevitable unless you don't have kids and are really careful.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:56 AM
CleanSlate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I 2nd that. and yes, the paint can be buffed... just get ready for & prep for the dust.

IMO the seat back painted is a big waste of money unless you're getting a cab, but if you have it to burn... what the heck
Old 05-20-2006, 08:53 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Mr. Clean is right. I wouldn't waste your money. I already have scratches on mine and it's not like working a fender or hood to remove the scratch. If I were you, I'd do something else for your car.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:19 AM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the painted seat backs exterior color. I have no scratches and do not anticipate any in the future. I take excellent care of the car and no one rides in the back, nor do I use the back to carry items that might damage the car.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:01 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Point well taken. I put my son back there from time to time and don't think twice about putting groceries back there. That said, please let us know when you get an unexpected scratch and how easy it is to rid.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:02 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

I admit, your ride looks awful nice with the matching seat backs!
Old 05-20-2006, 10:11 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

I agree - I think it looks great, but I'm concerned about the scratches so I think I might pass on this option. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 05-20-2006, 12:02 PM
MMD
Banned

Would be hard to see most scratches, especially with a color as light as yellow, IMO. Unlike an exposed fender the seat backs are only visible from "one" angle and most of the surface is hidden. Also, what are you putting back there that would shift and scratch? A kitchen sink? If so just wrap it on bubble wrap.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:03 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Hahah...no, laptop bag, maybe a box or two, groceries (no liquids). My p-car is a daily driver. Its our second car (we only drive one), but its too fun even for errands to leave in the garage.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Of all the colors that Porsche offers I can’t think of a color that would show off the sport seat backs in a coupe better than Speed Yellow with black leather (with the possible exception of Guards Red) but I can understand your concern for the durability. With the sport seat backs painted every car that pulls up behind you at a traffic light is going to get an eye full of Speed Yellow from the inside.

On a personal note, I think it would be a great compliment to the Speed Yellow rear console, instrument dials and seat belts you have already ordered. It would definitely be a bold, unique and beautiful interior and not for the faint of heart.

If scratching is a concern (and I can see how it would be if the P-car is a daily driver) could you apply a clear plastic like the clear bras many use on the hood and fenders? I still plan on getting the sport seat backs painted on my Slate Grey and know full well that the difference will be subtle; with Speed Yellow the difference would be dynamic!
Old 05-20-2006, 04:45 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two words....

Clear Bra!
Old 05-20-2006, 05:00 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The seat backs in a cabrio are easily(very easily) scratched if the seat is placed all the way back or tilted when the wind deflector is used. If sport seats are ordered, in either coupe or cabrio, and rear cargo is expected, the optional leather backs, in addition to looking good, will hide any damage better than paint. A stock plastic, painted or aluminum-look console is also subject to being damaged by normal service loads. Seat backs and console are generally susceptible to wear.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:09 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are still plenty of mini-vans available!
Old 05-20-2006, 07:01 PM
JMaples
Advanced

Novice questions --

1. Are the painted seatbacks (and center console for that matter) simply plastic that is colored the same as the exterior (i.e., not really painted but consistent throughout)? Or, are they like the exterior of a car with paint and clear coat on top of a base material?

2. What do they feel like to the touch - plastic or the exterior of the car?

Quick Reply: Painted seat backs - easily scratched / scuffed?