red cars and tickets myth

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 11:17 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default red cars and tickets myth

20/20 reported tonight that even though 11% of the car population is red
that they only make up 3% of those ticketed!
so it actually looks like red cars get LESS tickets instead of more!
lucky brian!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:39 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On two occasions I was in red cars (M3 and Z4) going slower than the cars in front of me and the troopers hit me with instant on radar. I have to believe a red Carrera will attract more attention from the police than most other colors and cars.

Alan
Old 05-12-2006, 11:43 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Crap, I got a blue one to avoid just that........... ok. on the search for a guards red one.

sheesh.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:12 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts
Smile

I trained with several police officers in martial arts; weapon disarming and dangerous suspects. During this time they couldn't help but notice my sports cars showing up every day for class. Those relationships got me out of several tickets by the way. That said, they explained they notice the same things we sports car nuts notice; red or flashy cars.

Here's a tip: they all agreed they may consider letting a speeder go (not pursue) if he slows immediately upon seeing a cop. If he continues or barely slows down, they view it as disprespectful and will pursue,..even if they're shift is finsihed. So, slow down when you see them and wave. If they still pull you over, quickly retrieve all your documents and place them on the dash in front of you in plain view (they generally run your plates before approaching so you have a couple of moments). Then place both hands on the steering wheel before the officer walks up to your car and don't take them down for any reason. And, be polite. These guys put up with a lot sht to protect you and I from thugs and drunks. Oh, don't even think about talking on the phone, or answering it. It's all about respect for these people, and they certainly deserve it.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:24 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Great advice SilverSteel .

Thank you.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

"Arrest me Red" truly applies to Porsches,--maybe not to the run of the mill automobiles. I knew a couple who owned two 911s,--a red and a black. The red one got all the police action,--regardless of who was in the driver's seat. I think those statistics are true for 'average' cars,--but Guards Red,--on a PORSCHE, looks fast,--even at 15 BELOW the speed limit.

Dan
Old 05-13-2006, 12:31 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I trained with several police officers in martial arts; weapon disarming and dangerous suspects. During this time they couldn't help but notice my sports cars showing up every day for class. Those relationships got me out of several tickets by the way. That said, they explained they notice the same things we sports car nuts notice; red or flashy cars.

Here's a tip: they all agreed they may consider letting a speeder go (not pursue) if he slows immediately upon seeing a cop. If he continues or barely slows down, they view it as disprespectful and will pursue,..even if they're shift is finsihed. So, slow down when you see them and wave. If they still pull you over, quickly retrieve all your documents and place them on the dash in front of you in plain view (they generally run your plates before approaching so you have a couple of moments). Then place both hands on the steering wheel before the officer walks up to your car and don't take them down for any reason. And, be polite. These guys put up with a lot sht to protect you and I from thugs and drunks. Oh, don't even think about talking on the phone, or answering it. It's all about respect for these people, and they certainly deserve it.
Coming from a police family I agree. Further, be respectful. Answer questions simply and directly. Call them Sir or Officer. Don't say "what was I doing wrong?" Don't offer "inducments", and don't get out of your car.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:19 AM
billco
Instructor

Incredabily accurate. We drive cars that tempt us to go a little over the limit. If we are called on it, "silver steel's" advise is ABSOLUTELY ON THE MARK! We need to pass the "attitude test". Doesn't mean we wont get the ticket, just improves our changes exponentially.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:29 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by billco
Incredabily accurate. We drive cars that tempt us to go a little over the limit. If we are called on it, "silver steel's" advise is ABSOLUTELY ON THE MARK! We need to pass the "attitude test". Doesn't mean we wont get the ticket, just improves our changes exponentially.
Be polite to the officer, and if needed, argue the ticket in court. Use all means AFTER he leaves to not pay the tax man. Polite and transparent = he won't remember you in court.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:56 AM
Pugnacious
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
...If they still pull you over, quickly retrieve all your documents and place them on the dash in front of you in plain view (they generally run your plates before approaching so you have a couple of moments). Then place both hands on the steering wheel before the officer walks up to your car and don't take them down for any reason...
I have always been told when you are pulled over to remain in the car, do not reach for anything (that would include gathering your documents) and keep both hands in clear view on the steering wheel. When asked for documents inform the officer what you are about to do (“my registration and proof of insurance is in the glove box” or “my drivers license is in my back pocket”). He sees you rummaging around in your glove box or back pocket before he comes to the window and he doesn’t know what you’re looking for; for all he knows it could be a weapon.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:05 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
20/20 reported tonight that even though 11% of the car population is red that they only make up 3% of those ticketed!
You're not exactly being an accurate reporter of the story.

The 11% figure they used in the story comes from a paint manufacturers association (they didn't say which one), based on the percentage that red represents in the total sales figure.

The pigment red oxidizes more rapidly than most other colors requiring more repaints on cars with that color, so using the sales figure from a paint manufacturers association is not good statistical science, and is rather misleading. The most accurate source for the comparison would be the data from automotive manufacturers, or from the DMV database within a particular state showing the percentage of red among registered vehicles. ... But this then wouldn't serve the purposes of the story, would it?

I seldom place any stock on tv news reports of this nature. They're just trying to sell commercial air time, and anything that serves this end for them is justifiable.

Do you guys remember when NBC's Dateline was sued by GM after it was discovered that they used detonators on the side-mounted gas tanks to serve the purpose of the story which was to illustrate the danger of these tanks blowing up in an accident?
Old 05-13-2006, 03:11 AM
OCBen
Banned

Oh yeah, when? .. And what about?
Old 05-13-2006, 03:12 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

mostly you!
just a couple ******* trying to start trouble!
Old 05-13-2006, 03:14 AM
OCBen
Banned

The usual suspects?

Earlier today? ... Was busy all day with escrow stuff and had to take the car in for the recall.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:19 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

yeah! same couple
dave put them in their place b/f the deletion!

Quick Reply: red cars and tickets myth