Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

red cars and tickets myth

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 03:19 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you believe it, took the car in for the exhaust tip recall and the kit had two left tips, instead of a right and a left? .. Now they have to order some more, after a month wait!
Old 05-13-2006, 03:20 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

that stinks!
you must be a ways from the dealer to have waited this long?
Old 05-13-2006, 03:24 AM
OCBen
Banned

They're giving me the chrome tips for free, but they had to order from Germany. The part numbers were correct on the packaging, indicating a right and a left. The screw up was in the packaging! ... Somebody was asleep, or on beer break when they packaged! ... Ticks me off.

No, dealer is only 10 miles away.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:28 AM
OCBen
Banned

Going nighty night? ... Sleep well. See you tomorrow!
Old 05-13-2006, 06:23 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Be polite to the officer, and if needed, argue the ticket in court...Polite and transparent = he won't remember you in court.
This is so true. The troopers I have dealt with take notes and when I negotiate a ticket I have frequently heard them say things like "he was polite" or "didn't give me any trouble." One client got a little obnoxious and it was a bit more difficult getting the trooper to agree to reduce the ticket.

Alan
Old 05-13-2006, 07:30 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OCBen
Do you guys remember when NBC's Dateline was sued by GM after it was discovered that they used detonators on the side-mounted gas tanks to serve the purpose of the story which was to illustrate the danger of these tanks blowing up in an accident?
interesting I never heard about that
of course, I still won't buy a truck with gas tanks on the outside of the frame
Old 05-13-2006, 08:14 AM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I trained with several police officers in martial arts; weapon disarming and dangerous suspects. During this time they couldn't help but notice my sports cars showing up every day for class. Those relationships got me out of several tickets by the way. That said, they explained they notice the same things we sports car nuts notice; red or flashy cars.

Here's a tip: they all agreed they may consider letting a speeder go (not pursue) if he slows immediately upon seeing a cop. If he continues or barely slows down, they view it as disprespectful and will pursue,..even if they're shift is finsihed. So, slow down when you see them and wave. If they still pull you over, quickly retrieve all your documents and place them on the dash in front of you in plain view (they generally run your plates before approaching so you have a couple of moments). Then place both hands on the steering wheel before the officer walks up to your car and don't take them down for any reason. And, be polite. These guys put up with a lot sht to protect you and I from thugs and drunks. Oh, don't even think about talking on the phone, or answering it. It's all about respect for these people, and they certainly deserve it.
it might be dangerous to reach for your papers before being asked. How do they know u aren't pulling a gun? It's kind of admitting guilt. Cops have asked me, do u know why I pulled u over? Most of the time I do but I don't say "yes officer i was speeding, traveling 160 in 25 mile an hour zone please arrest me". They will have to prove it in court...
Old 05-13-2006, 08:31 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I trained with several police officers in martial arts; weapon disarming and dangerous suspects. During this time they couldn't help but notice my sports cars showing up every day for class. Those relationships got me out of several tickets by the way. That said, they explained they notice the same things we sports car nuts notice; red or flashy cars.

Here's a tip: they all agreed they may consider letting a speeder go (not pursue) if he slows immediately upon seeing a cop. If he continues or barely slows down, they view it as disprespectful and will pursue,..even if they're shift is finsihed. So, slow down when you see them and wave. If they still pull you over, quickly retrieve all your documents and place them on the dash in front of you in plain view (they generally run your plates before approaching so you have a couple of moments). Then place both hands on the steering wheel before the officer walks up to your car and don't take them down for any reason. And, be polite. These guys put up with a lot sht to protect you and I from thugs and drunks. Oh, don't even think about talking on the phone, or answering it. It's all about respect for these people, and they certainly deserve it.
Good points. Also turn engine off and place keys on dash.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:30 AM
wardo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
I have always been told when you are pulled over to remain in the car, do not reach for anything (that would include gathering your documents) and keep both hands in clear view on the steering wheel. When asked for documents inform the officer what you are about to do (“my registration and proof of insurance is in the glove box” or “my drivers license is in my back pocket”). He sees you rummaging around in your glove box or back pocket before he comes to the window and he doesn’t know what you’re looking for; for all he knows it could be a weapon.
I agree entirely reaching for anything is a bad idea.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 279 Posts

In the last 6 years I have driven 3 Guards red Porsches, the 6 years before that Hell Red and Imola red M3s. I have seen zero proof of any increased incidence of speeding tickets on red cars (I have also driven silver and black sedans and a grey SUV in that time period).

Now anyone who's driven in an around Atlanta knows it's not a typical driving experience (everyone speeds), so YMMV!

In my view it's more about not driving in such a way as to draw attention to yourself - weaving, aggressive driving, ridiculous triple digit speeds, etc.

The 2 tickets I did receive in that time period were due to bad luck at happening into local revenue generation machines. It would not have mattered IMO whether I was piloting a silver 911 or a red one.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:38 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyBiz
it might be dangerous to reach for your papers before being asked. How do they know u aren't pulling a gun? It's kind of admitting guilt. Cops have asked me, do u know why I pulled u over? Most of the time I do but I don't say "yes officer i was speeding, traveling 160 in 25 mile an hour zone please arrest me". They will have to prove it in court...

I keep my insurance in the side pocket, my license in my wallet--the only two things needed in Texas. You should keep your materials, whatever is needed handy. You and I know you will be pulled over, it's only a matter of time. Be ready. The officer willl provide you cues: if you see him getting out of his car right away, unlikely, put your hands on the wheel. You have whatever time it takes him to get out of his car to gather your materials. Once out of the car, your hands better be on that wheel. The first thing he looks for is your hands as he approaches your vehicle. You can't shoot him with your feet. Then he determines if there is a passenger in your car and where his hands are (hers if your lucky).

If pulled over and asked: "do you know why I pulled you over?". Always say "no Sir" . He's looking for a guilty plea right off the bat that will be used against you later if necessary. If he verbally pokes at you, take it and be polite. If you're doing double the speed limit, watch out for the stun-gun and night stick. Good luck!
Old 05-13-2006, 10:48 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyBiz
Once upon your car, asking for permission to reach for your docs is acceptable. The officer is trained to cover his weapon with his hand while you reach!! You won't know this because your busy reaching. Get you stuff before he gets out of his car, otherwise, freeze your hands on the wheel. Call it paranoid or inside information, your choice. People who drive Porsche's are low risk, but if your look like me on the weekend, bummed out with trashy clothes, they may think you ripped the car. I'm always careful.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:01 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
20/20 reported tonight that even though 11% of the car population is red
that they only make up 3% of those ticketed!
so it actually looks like red cars get LESS tickets instead of more!
Hmmm, I didn't watch the show and I'm no statistician, but that sounds like bunk science to me. I think a more meaningful statistic would have been the % red cars of the total # cars that speed. If red cars are over represented in the group of cars that speed then maybe we would have something to talk about, but % red cars in the total population seems pretty meaningless. And even then you aren't controlling for things like vehicle make and model, other colors (yellow?), MPH over the limit, night and day etc..

Aren't there at least a couple of university statistics professors on this board? Maybe they could weigh in.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:10 AM
MMD
Banned

they all agreed they may consider letting a speeder go (not pursue) if he slows immediately upon seeing a cop. If he continues or barely slows down, they view it as disprespectful and will pursue,..
Interesting. Makes sense too that they'd maybe let us go because I'm the kind of speeder who mostly only speeds when it is "safe" and no one else is around. When there might be a cop around the corner, or in the midst of other traffic I slow up. I guess this is a safer way to drive; so if you're "cop shy" and slam on brakes when you see them maybe they assume you're not as dangerous as the "average" oblivious speeder.

(Oh BTW, I'm talking about speeding on highways: NEVER speed in people's neighborhoods or congested urban areas)
Old 05-13-2006, 11:44 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by smackboy1
If red cars are over represented in the group of cars that speed then maybe we would have something to talk about
Somebody told me that they charge more to insure red cars in some European countries (Germany?) because people who buy red cars either drive faster or get into more accidents. Can anybody here confirm or refute that?

Alan

Quick Reply: red cars and tickets myth