red cars and tickets myth

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
The usual suspects?

Earlier today? ... Was busy all day with escrow stuff and had to take the car in for the recall.
Hint: Where Caesar's tomb is located.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Can you believe it, took the car in for the exhaust tip recall and the kit had two left tips, instead of a right and a left? .. Now they have to order some more, after a month wait!
I've heard of two left feet before, but that takes the cake. Maybe it was the same factory worker who put the original Carrera S sills in my 4S. I still can't figure out why my motor has two CF air intakes.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Does anyone remember the Nintendo commercial from a few years back.

Cop to guy, "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

Guy to cop, "You thought I had donuts."

I blew my drink out my nose the first time I heard that. Don't think I'll be using it the next time I get road taxed.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:46 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Hint: Where Caesar's tomb is located.
I figured as much. I got the full report on file. Oh, good job of sticking up for another member of the Secret Society.

Originally Posted by Coochas
I still can't figure out why my motor has two CF air intakes.
Dave, I think I would put that under the category of Don't Ask...Don't Tell. ... Not too unlike not wanting to know what's under your pup tent.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:48 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silversteel: Why do you wish to have your papers "ready" for the officer when he approaches? Waiting for instructions, requests and permission shows respect and slows down the revenue stream.
Remember, in Florida, serve and protect has been replaced with serve and collect.

Jack
Old 05-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I figured as much. I got the full report on file. Oh, good job of sticking up for another member of the Secret Society.
If you tell them about the secret handshake I'm gonna get mad.
In all seriousness, to having a nice constructive cyber hangout. Can't we all just get along?
Old 05-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Default Your logic escapes me!

Your logic escapes me.
Originally Posted by SilverSteel
...The officer is trained to cover his weapon with his hand while you reach!!...
So why do you think he would be any more comfortable with you reaching for something while he is still in his car and doesn’t have a clear view of what you are reaching for?
... Get you stuff before he gets out of his car,...
And be ready to be looking down the barrel of a .40 S&W!
Old 05-13-2006, 02:33 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

You guys must have some seriously over-anxious cops. I've never had one cover his gun or look concerned at the least in what I was doing in the car...of course, I generally just sit calmly and wait for him to approach the car (I've never done the "DRIVER! HANDS ON THE STEERING WHEEL!" method).

The only time I've had one get nervous is when I told him my insurance card was in the dash with my 9mm and asked if he would rather get it. He had met get out of the car and wait by his cruiser while he removed the weapon. Once we finished, he put it back and instructed me not to reach for the dash until he had left.

In general, the best things you can do are 1) sit calmly and wait for them (no sudden or hectic movement), and 2) if at night, turn on your interior light so they can see you better (this is probably the most important of all).
Old 05-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Devinwhite
Instructor

Default New to RL- Looking for a good 91 964 turbo Bk/Bk

Ok- I'm new to RL. Recently signed up for, not one, but two year membership. Taking my chances and spending the big buck because; Validation- my coworker recently purchased a "95" 993. He lives in Oregon, car in San Fran. He posted a request for a local RL member to go take a look and drive it before he took the trip down south. I think 100 RN members volunteered. Thats proof enough for me to take the leap. End of story- he received great feedback on the car, mechanically and other.. I believe on RL member took about 50 pictures, had them developed in an hr and sent them to him..... I now have to look at that Porsche every time I get into my 96 BMW 740IL (aka Money sucking pit). If I'm going to sink money into anything it might as well be a PORSCHE. Besides his needs a big brother. So I'm looking for a clean 91 964 Turbo, "I did say big brother." Prefer Bk/Bk.

Hope you can help!
Old 05-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

I read a book a few years back written by a retired New York State Trooper about avoiding speeding tickets. As I read the book I jotted down the pertinent points he was making in regards to once you are stopped. He also talked at length about what to do and not do to avoid getting caught in the first place but once stopped these were his suggestions:

Traffic stop

1. Raise right arm and motion you see him.
2. Put on right turn signal.
3. Slow down SLOWLY as to allow cop to slow and traffic behind him to know what is going on.
4. Pull off the right shoulder enough to allow cop to have plenty of “buffer” room.
5. If at night, turn on interior lights.
6. Put out smoking material or chewing gum and remove sunglasses.
7. Roll down window; turn off the radio and engine.
8. Put and keep both hands on steering wheel and do NOT move around.
9. DO NOT get out of car.
10. Wait patiently for cop and do not move around.
11. Look cop in the eye. Do NOT ask why you have been stopped.
12. When asked for license and registration, inform him were it is and that you are reaching for it and break eye contact and get requested item one at a time. If you go into glove box, leave it open after retrieving papers as to show you have nothing to hid. If you go into a center console, close it after retrieving papers as leaving it open poses a threat to the cop.
13. Call Sheriff “Deputy”, State Police “Trooper” and CHP or regular cop “Officer” One or two strips are “Corporal” and three or more strips “Sergeant”.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Snoopy
Racer

I've had two red cars, one of them being my Guards Red 997, and the only ticket I've had was while driving a silver BMW. Thursday night, I was coming home from work and there was a silver G-35 next to me at a light. Guy in his mid twenties driving, girl in passenger seat. Cop is behind us. I thought uh-oh, I wonder if I'm going to get pulled over for some reaon (maybe he spotted no front plate). Minute light turns green and we start moving the sirens are on. Wasn't sure if for me or the G-35 so I kind of slowed up, but it was for the G-35. No clue what he did wrong (I'd been next to him at least through one light).
Old 05-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Devinwhite
Ok- I'm new to RL. Recently signed up for, not one, but two year membership. Taking my chances and spending the big buck because; Validation- my coworker recently purchased a "95" 993. He lives in Oregon, car in San Fran. He posted a request for a local RL member to go take a look and drive it before he took the trip down south. I think 100 RN members volunteered. Thats proof enough for me to take the leap. End of story- he received great feedback on the car, mechanically and other.. I believe on RL member took about 50 pictures, had them developed in an hr and sent them to him..... I now have to look at that Porsche every time I get into my 96 BMW 740IL (aka Money sucking pit). If I'm going to sink money into anything it might as well be a PORSCHE. Besides his needs a big brother. So I'm looking for a clean 91 964 Turbo, "I did say big brother." Prefer Bk/Bk.

Hope you can help!
Hi Devin -
WELCOME to Rennlist. This really is a fantastic p-car place to chat.
As for the 964,...post in that forum too! (note that Rennlist has 'segregated' us into O2/N2 and H20 cooled communities.)
Old 05-13-2006, 09:30 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Once upon your car, asking for permission to reach for your docs is acceptable. The officer is trained to cover his weapon with his hand while you reach!! You won't know this because your busy reaching. Get you stuff before he gets out of his car, otherwise, freeze your hands on the wheel. Call it paranoid or inside information, your choice. People who drive Porsche's are low risk, but if your look like me on the weekend, bummed out with trashy clothes, they may think you ripped the car. I'm always careful.
good advice
Old 05-13-2006, 09:40 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Good advice, man. I've had several officers shake my hand and thank me for not giving them a hard time when they ticketed me... <g>

It's a hellacious job, I wouldn't want it. If you want to race without repercussions, hit the track!

-don
Old 05-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever wonder why officers may have a bad attitude all the time?

How would you feel if your job involved dealing with criminals all day.

Some very interesting points here.

Quick Reply: red cars and tickets myth