Sponsored by:

red cars and tickets myth

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 09:48 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on, Tom...

And, it goes without saying that: if they pulled you over, you were likely violating the law. <g>

I remember reading a thread here entitled "How do you keep your license in this car?!?". I'll agree, it's not easy... but being an a__hole to the officer will not get you any kudos.

-don
Old 05-25-2006, 09:25 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
Your logic escapes me.So why do you think he would be any more comfortable with you reaching for something while he is still in his car and doesn’t have a clear view of what you are reaching for?
And be ready to be looking down the barrel of a .40 S&W!
Have your hands on the wheel when he gets out. If you're reaching for something, it's going to be in your hand on the wheel when he approaches and there will be a bullet in your head. Run my comments and your comments by a cop and see what he says.

Few cops carry 4o's. That's mostly gov't.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:28 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Did I mention I play the assailant/perp in volatile situations; the guy that they don't want to meet when they pull someone over! I know what they look for because I was part of the class, the bad part.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:33 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Did I mention I play the assailant/perp in volatile situations; the guy that they don't want to meet when they pull someone over! I know what they look for because I was part of the class, the bad part.
These guys get paid little and work in the most dangerous environments in our country, deal with the dredge of society, get little to no recognition unless one of them falls in the line of duty, and all they ask for is a little respect. If they're having a bad day and are gruff with you while writing you up, be extra nice and make his day. Come-on, we can afford these damn tickets and if you have half a brain you can probably get out of them, too.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:16 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

You're responding to your own posts now?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

i know one guy, he rides a motorcycle - he got a $600 fine and 5 points on his license because he drove on the shoulder to avoid being smashed between a car behind him and a semi in front - he was able to stop but the guy behind him wouldn't have been - drove up on the shoulder, the car smashed into the semi and he just kept going. 2 miles down the road he got pulled over by a motorcycle cop, who was just a ***** - he said that they'd rather scrape him off the road than let him go.
Some cops are just ******, and all but one have proved themselves to me - I'm respectful of course, don't run up a fine, but they seemingly ALL have chips on their shoulder to some degree.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:50 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

I've met a few myself. It's like any job in that some are just retired on the job and are intent on ruining everybody's day--power trip. Most cops can't wait to get out and do something else or retire, but they get used to the respect, power and authority. It's a big deal to many of them. They come out of the academy believing they can change the world, and then sadly realize the scum has them outnumbered and outgunned. It's a frustrating job.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:00 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by smackboy1
Hmmm, I didn't watch the show and I'm no statistician, but that sounds like bunk science to me. I think a more meaningful statistic would have been the % red cars of the total # cars that speed. If red cars are over represented in the group of cars that speed then maybe we would have something to talk about, but % red cars in the total population seems pretty meaningless. And even then you aren't controlling for things like vehicle make and model, other colors (yellow?), MPH over the limit, night and day etc..

Aren't there at least a couple of university statistics professors on this board? Maybe they could weigh in.
Great thing about statistics..."lies, Damn lies and Statistics"...B. Disraeli

First we have no idea where any of the statistics reported came from or from what sampling plan. Second, as you indicated, there are many things left undisclosed. This type of bogus reporting unfortunately is prevalent...I see so much of it I have become numb. I don't want to give a dissertation if that's OK...unless you have insomnia.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Here, in part is what you said in your original post that started all this:

I trained with several police officers in martial arts; weapon disarming and dangerous suspects...

.. If they still pull you over, quickly retrieve all your documents and place them on the dash in front of you in plain view (they generally run your plates before approaching so you have a couple of moments). Then place both hands on the steering wheel before the officer walks up to your car and don't take them down for any reason...
To which I stated I thought it a bad idea to be looking around your car and gathering items while the officer was still in his car and did not have a clear view of what you were looking for.

Then your retort:

Have your hands on the wheel when he gets out. If you're reaching for something, it's going to be in your hand on the wheel when he approaches and there will be a bullet in your head. Run my comments and your comments by a cop and see what he says.

Few cops carry 4o's. That's mostly gov't.
The mention of a .40 S&W was intended to be a metaphorical reference to you being greeted by the officer with a drawn firearm after he witnesses you hurriedly rummaging around in your glove box and/or back pants pocket before he exits his vehicle. Furthermore he doesn’t know what you were hastily looking for and your hands on the steering wheel are no guarantee to him that there is not a firearm (or other deadly weapon) now within easy reach. I did run your comments past a cop and he says you’re giving bad advice. He told me any unauthorized or hurried movement by the driver (or passenger/passengers) at any time during the stop only heightens his tension level.

I don’t think you mentioned it quite that way but you did mention that you trained with several officers in martial arts and disarming dangerous suspects but does that preclude you from giving bad advice?
Old 05-27-2006, 11:08 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Wink

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
Here, in part is what you said in your original post that started all this:

To which I stated I thought it a bad idea to be looking around your car and gathering items while the officer was still in his car and did not have a clear view of what you were looking for.

Then your retort:

The mention of a .40 S&W was intended to be a metaphorical reference to you being greeted by the officer with a drawn firearm after he witnesses you hurriedly rummaging around in your glove box and/or back pants pocket before he exits his vehicle. Furthermore he doesn’t know what you were hastily looking for and your hands on the steering wheel are no guarantee to him that there is not a firearm (or other deadly weapon) now within easy reach. I did run your comments past a cop and he says you’re giving bad advice. He told me any unauthorized or hurried movement by the driver (or passenger/passengers) at any time during the stop only heightens his tension level.

I don’t think you mentioned it quite that way but you did mention that you trained with several officers in martial arts and disarming dangerous suspects but does that preclude you from giving bad advice?
Feel free to come by and visit anytime you're in Dallas. The courses are on Friday nights downtown, we're always looking for enthusiastic volunteers like yourself to help out. BTW, I volunteer my time and training and often get injured. Now for your comment, I made no mention of a drawn weapon, you did. He will cover his piece during your search. Push away from the bar and call it a nite.

I'm not a lawyer or cop I'm just passing along their comments and thoughts. They are friends and their advice is free and appreciated.

I've added all I can to this subject and don't want to participate for arguments sake so will not be returning to the thread. Pug, I don't know where you live as your city isn't on your avatar, but if you are near Dallas and wish to particpate I can provide details--PM me. LOL

Last edited by SilverSteel; 05-27-2006 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:08 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smackboy1
Hmmm, I didn't watch the show and I'm no statistician, but that sounds like bunk science to me. I think a more meaningful statistic would have been the % red cars of the total # cars that speed. If red cars are over represented in the group of cars that speed then maybe we would have something to talk about, but % red cars in the total population seems pretty meaningless. And even then you aren't controlling for things like vehicle make and model, other colors (yellow?), MPH over the limit, night and day etc..

Aren't there at least a couple of university statistics professors on this board? Maybe they could weigh in.
Smackboy,

Your general intutiuon is correct. We are dealing with two issues:

1. Do people who drive red cars tend to speed more often than those who drive other collor cars, and;

2. Given a speeding car of a red color and a speeding car of another color, which would tend to get the ticket more often?

This is an example of selection bias. That is aggressive drivers tend to self-select fast red sports cars. So, it is not fact that the cars are red that is the causal factor determining a higher number of speeding tickets for red cars. Instead, it may simply be the case that fast drivers self-select fast red sports cars. Therefore, it is the fast drivers and the fast sports cars that are actually causing the high number of speeding tickets rather than the mere fact that the cars are red. One method to more precisely test this is akin to what you said. Have a series of experiments where we drive 2 P-cars, one red and one some other color, past a cop at the same speed--for instance 10 MPH over the speed limit--and see how often each color gets pulled over. This would more accurately test whether the color actually makes a difference (rather than something else related to the aggressiveness of the driver or the model of car).
Old 05-28-2006, 12:24 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

i thought the insurance was higher for a red car, is that fact or fiction?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:38 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by MoneyBiz
i thought the insurance was higher for a red car, is that fact or fiction?
Fiction in New York but I heard red was more expensive to insure in some Eurpeon countries. Nobody here could verify that.

Alan
Old 05-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Miguel
Pro

jesus! You guys live in a war zone...Cops are guys like you and me doing their job. The fact that a cop is geared to think, from the onset, that if you're moving inside the carit probably is related to you being armed and dangerous, tells loads about your society.
The fact of having "rules" on what to do and say whilst adddressing a cop reminds one of the worst in south america or africa and i know both very well.

I also get tired and stressed in my line of work, and woe the cop who does not respect me as a person. Cops should have rules and guidelines addressing people and not treat people from the onset as criminals.

Cheers
Old 05-31-2006, 11:26 AM
DGuida
Advanced

The color of the car can't be an issue, the police are not guessing the vehicle's speed, it's being timed by Radar, VASCAR, ENRADD, Accutrac, etc., the machines can't distinguish color. Maybe people, like myelf, who tend to exceed the maximum allowed speed limit at times (which doesn't always equate to driving dangerously) also tend to drive red cars (or other vibrant colors).
Be nice, admit the offense, and ask for a break in points

Quick Reply: red cars and tickets myth