Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealing with Trolls in the 997 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:12 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Censorship is sometimes necessary and welcomed, as when it becomes necessary for a moderator to delete offensive posts that are profanity filled, racist in nature, bigoted, or otherwise generally offensive to everyone.

Differing opinions on a particular topic matter are not the subjects of censorship.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:18 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
OTOH, Ben I just don't hear you the same way now that you've changed your avatar back. I think DM fit your humor and grammar to a "T".
herman,
i'm still hearing dennis even though he has gone back to the old BORING avatar!

Last edited by icon; 05-11-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:23 PM
black/terra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why dont you specifically name names

to throw a vague net out there is in it self censorship.

If there is a repulsive post then lets identify it and allow the person to be on notice that we take offense.

Personallly I dont see to much of that here but then again I only read posts Im interested in.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Trolls need a DNR. A simple reply that lets other know to ignore their posts.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I find it very funny that none of the trolls (and most of us know who they are) have not chimed in yet on this thread to spout off some childish diatribe. It's a catch-22 for them with respect to this thread--if they chime in, it should be obvious, if they don't we know why
Old 05-11-2006, 02:42 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by black/terra
why dont you specifically name names
We did. See Posts 7 & 9.

Guess you missed it last night. This one troll by the name of cuyaga went on a rampage, requiring a moderator to delete his thread and offensive posts.

And unless he apologizes to the community and shows contrition, he's not welcome here.

A few of us were identifying this troll in our signatures. But this thread will serve that purpose. If he apologizes (unlikely) we will edit his username out of this de facto black list and give him a second chance. Otherwise his name will forever be black-listed. Of course, as Icon has pointed out, this won't prevent him from creating a new username.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:00 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCBen
Just wanted to get your thoughts on the best way to deal with those who are bent on being disruptive and a general nuisance to the rest of our community here in the 997 Forum. Obviously whatever works here will work in any forum, but I wanted to keep this thread here, hence the specific name, since we've been seeing quite a bit of this activity lately.

I think most of us understand what a troll is, right? It's a social misfit by any other name. It's someone who wants to fit in and be accepted by the community, but lacks the social skills or social development to do so successfully. And so out of frustration they resort to the only behavior that comes easy and natural to them. Like children with underdeveloped mental faculties they throw tantrums and spew vitriolic attacks on others, resort to childish name calling, and all manner of disruptive behavior, often laced with profanity and otherwise offensive language.

These individuals obviously do no service to the community at large. They have made it clear by their behavior that they're not interested in becoming a welcomed member of our community, and now seem bent on disrupting the harmony we all enjoy.

I'm sure they don't mean to start out this way, although those who have been banned before and try to re-enter using a different username may just pick up where they left off. But for those who sign up here for the first time, I'm sure their intentions are good at the start, and for some reason (maybe just their nature) they're on a fast track to Rennlist hell before you know it.

I personally believe most of them can be rehabilitated and brought back into the fold. Heck, we all make mistakes and sometimes say things we really didn't mean to say, and would like to take them back. Most of us are apologetic and will apologize when we offend. ... Forgiveness follows and before you know it, given a second chance, they're back in the good graces of everyone.

Unfortunately there are a few of them who apparently can't be rehabilitated. And we the members of this community have the power to deal with these individuals ourselves. One word, folks: ostracism.

I think the best method of dealing with a troll is just to ignore him - to act as though he doesn't exist, as if he's in your "ignore list" (which may not be a bad idea), and by resisting the temptation to reply to the inflammatory comments he makes.

Once we notice troll behavior we can then notify the community at large and deal with the problem accordingly. We can use this very thread to hold court, if you will, in dealing with this particular problem.
i guess you enjoy a sheep like society..all fall in and do what we like or get out. boring...
sounds like a witch hunt by petty insecure people, are you mixing up the poison koolaid now??
Old 05-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

It's Bush's fault.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
It's Bush's fault.
Which one? Noelle, Jeb's drug addict daughter?
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2006, 03:08 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just for fun!

Lets vote for OCBen as a troll post moderator,
or a czar

Old 05-11-2006, 03:10 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
i guess you enjoy a sheep like society..all fall in and do what we like or get out. boring....
If it seems boring to you.....you know what to do!
Old 05-11-2006, 03:15 PM
dgwhitten
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Trolls, and/or those who might be seen as flamers, generally fall into one of two categories. The first are those who spew forth and feel good after releasing the vitriol they have bottled up inside themselves. These folks don't understand why the rest of us get so upset at their behavior inasmuch as they feel better. These folks are a lost cause.
The second group of flamers are those looking for a fight. They are generally bully like in nature. In a situation like our forum here, IMHO the best thing to do is to ignore them. Finding no satisfaction in not getting a rile out of us, they will more often than not go pester some other forum.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:23 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Just wanted to get your thoughts on the best way to deal with those who are bent on being disruptive and a general nuisance to the rest of our community here in the 997 Forum.
As ye sow so shall ye reap.

There's no solution because there's no problem. Unless you're asking for someone to refrain from personal attacks, don't respond to something negative that doesn't directly involve you.

If it does involve you ask the negative person to quit being rude by making personal attacks.

IMO, doing otherwise is just goofing off by fan-ing the flames. Is there a problem with people goofing off? No..., not really..., unless you want everybody to be perfect like your car's paint finish.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:23 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion the purpose of a message board is to disseminate information. I am uncomfortable with control issues and vague censorship parameters operating within the message board. Which members will impose sanctions, why, for how long? Popular members? Longterm members? I would suggest that if a member feels that a poster is abusing the board it be referred to the moderator by that member for him to evaluate whether a problem exists and decide how to proceed. As someone who knows few on the board and likes to speak my mind your post concerns me Ben. I do think that posting the question openly on the board rather than voting others out via PM is a step in the right direction though. Am I missing something here Ben?
Old 05-11-2006, 03:30 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by dgwhitten
Finding no satisfaction in not getting a rile out of us, they will more often than not go pester some other forum.
Yep, that's the basis for the strategy proposed here.

Not being able to get a response out of us they will soon tire and move elsewhere, hence the imperative: Do Not Feed Trolls.

Quick Reply: Dealing with Trolls in the 997 Forum