Sponsored by:

Thanks everyone

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks everyone

Thanks to everyone forthe great posts. I have learnt a lot on this site. Got the car about abot two weeks ago (it's all a bit fuzzy still). '05 997 Silver/black. Having a blast. I will post pictures and my very uneducated experience as soon as I stop driving.

First question-what is that little fob with the key? It a little black "flat peanut" looking thingamagig (technical term). It has a little red light and the words "low battery" on it. I searched all over for any information. Please, don't ask about the salesguy who didn't know the difference between arctic and seal.Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS to you! And yes, to continue being in good standing here, you will need to post pics.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that what you are describing is this:

If this is the case, your car has Lo-Jack installed as well as the Early Warning Response System - which is what the little peanut is for. If you want to keep the Lo-Jack, you will need to contact Lo-Jack with the VIN number of your car and proof of sale. I do not know what the transfer fees are.
I have this in my car. Basically, if you drive the car without the 'peanut' in it, you will receive a phone message (cell, home, whatever), an email, an SMS, and an alpha page telling you that your car has been moved without the peanut in it! I have tested it a few times and I get notified on average in less than 10 minutes.
There have been NUMEROUS debates over to Lo-Jack or not or to use other similar products. If you do a search you'll see what I mean.
Personally, I feel better knowing I have it installed.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:56 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Dave, do you keep your keys in your pocket when you're not driving? I seperated the Porsche's key & peanut from the others. Just too many keys to be put in the pocket.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Good question,...now that the winter is over and I won't be wearing a coat,...I'm not sure what to do with the keys. I carry a back pack to work and usually put the keys in it. I have the little 997 metal key ring and usually just have the car/LoJack/house keys on it...I manage!
The pcar key itself is HUGE,....but nowhere near the size of the bulge in my pocket every time I see that damn avatar of yours.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:11 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My key is the only thing on this:
It's the best way to minimize the risk of getting surface scratches anywhere.
Besides, it makes for a light load in the pockets, having only one key, that is.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Coochas-that's exactly it!! I should have taken a pic. I have BMW assist in my other car, and agree with you-it gives you peace of mind.

THPorsche-love the avtar!!
Old 05-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

OCBen-I really enjoy your comments-very witty. What's the relation with the avtar?

Also, what do you guys think of other people's reactions to your car. Like a lot of you, I've been dreaming about this car for years, and bought it to enjoy it. It's created a lot of noise at the office. A little is fine, but people I didn't even know comming up to me and congratulating me like I fathered a child with Keira Knightly or something.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:50 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, thank you Alstoy. And welcome aboard. Sounds like you've been on the outside looking in for a while and may have actually learned a thing or two in our sometimes lively debates and discussions.

You probably already know quite a few of us just from our posts so no need for introductions. And you might even know who the trolls are and how to deal with them.

As for the avatar, that represents my alter ego.

Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy it in good health. And enjoy the compliments at the office for as long as they last. You're right, it's not like fathering a child with Keira Knightly (dream on ), but a close second. Hey, come to think of it, she would make a good avatar for you, if you're into using babes as avatars. I know without a doubt we're into drooling over them, especially if they're semi-nude.

Quick Reply: Thanks everyone