Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 09:59 PM

Default $$$

Guess what car company has the highest profit margin per vehicle? Yup you got it...

Thanks to Wendelin Wiedeking and his embracing of Japanese assembly techniques, he has acheived this glorious honor[sic] for Porsche.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:06 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 500
Guess what car company has the highest profit margin per vehicle? Yup you got it...

Thanks to Wendelin Wiedeking and his embracing of Japanese assembly techniques, he has acheived this glorious honor[sic] for Porsche.
Is that a bad thing?

If so, why?
Old 04-02-2006, 11:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,855 Likes on 2,395 Posts

what's wrong with making big money?
Old 04-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

As long as Porsche produces cars we enthusiasts still want to buy, it is in our best interest that they be profitable. Profit is not a dirty word.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:27 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,855 Likes on 2,395 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
As long as Porsche produces cars we enthusiasts still want to buy, it is in our best interest that they be profitable. Profit is not a dirty word.
i am in 100% agreement.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by allegretto
Is that a bad thing?

If so, why?
They've reduced the cost to build the cars (by assembly and by using as many cheaper quality parts as they could) and they got away with it without having to pass any of savings on to the consumer. Porsche was never a high profit margin company and that's why the quality of build and parts of the aircooled car are missed by so very many.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:21 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 500

And where have YOU been? ... Hiding under a rock? I hate to be the one to break it to you but that news is so old (it's been at least 5 yrs and probably longer that PAG has been the most profitable car company) that your announcement here is really a waste of time. Sorry. ... Apparently this is new news to you. Welcome to a very intelligent group of well informed Porsche owners. Stick around, you might learn a thing or two.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:25 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

my feelings exactly ben
Old 04-03-2006, 11:28 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

I think its a good thing that Porsche is very, very profitable. Those profits give them the ability to do the R & D to continue at the cutting edge of automobile performance technology. And, unlike some of the other auto manufacturers who never make the exciting stuff available to their customers, Porsche does a pretty good job of keeping the exciting stuff flowing to its customers.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:33 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by 500
They've reduced the cost to build the cars (by assembly and by using as many cheaper quality parts as they could) and they got away with it without having to pass any of savings on to the consumer. Porsche was never a high profit margin company and that's why the quality of build and parts of the aircooled car are missed by so very many.
500: what do you think Mercedes has done?

Exactly the same thing.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 500

2001 called, they want their news back.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:55 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

riad - that was funny
Old 04-03-2006, 12:07 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

i hope they make a ton more!! keep's the RS Spyders on the track and keeps Weissach around to make the next great race car...
Old 04-03-2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by OCBen
And where have YOU been? ... Hiding under a rock? I hate to be the one to break it to you but that news is so old (it's been at least 5 yrs and probably longer that PAG has been the most profitable car company) that your announcement here is really a waste of time. Sorry. ... Apparently this is new news to you. Welcome to a very intelligent group of well informed Porsche owners. Stick around, you might learn a thing or two.
Relax Benny boy and go take some of your medicine now.

I'd imagine lots of things Porsche has done in the past (old news) may get written about here, to some it's new and informative and to others not; this was actually current news as the story was just reported this month showing Porsche has accomplished this feat again. Since owning one of the first 996's in the US and owning countless aircooled cars, believe me I've been well aware of Porsche's cost cutting etc. I'd also venture to say I've owned and had more experience with Porsche's than most here.

With respect to MB, yes they have been cutting the quality of their cars too, but have yet to make the highest margin per vehicle.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:54 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all its not Japanese assembly techniques, the Japanese actually developed their methods of building cars from an American, Edward Deming. Now give the Japanese credit for realizing his methods would work.

USA Rules!

Quick Reply: $$$