Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by texas911
First of all its not Japanese assembly techniques, the Japanese actually developed their methods of building cars from an American, Edward Deming. Now give the Japanese credit for realizing his methods would work.

USA Rules!
Porsche consulted with the Japanese back in the mid 90's when they were planning the watercooled cars manufacture. You've also got to give credit to the Jap's for improving upon the technique however. I for one, would love the US to make the highest quality automobiles and get back some the market share lost to the Japanese.

Last edited by 500; 04-03-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:24 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
Porsche consulted with the Japanese back in the mid 90's when they were planning the aircooled cars manufacture. You've also got to give credit to the Jap's for improving upon the technique however. I for one, would love the US to make the highest quality automobiles and get back some the market share lost to the Japanese.
I think you mean water cooled!

While Dr. W. Edwards Deming had a huge impact on the quality (and Management) systems of Japan in the late '40s (hence the Deming Prize), the Japanese (and it really isn't the Japanese per say, but several Japanese Companies) have done many things to expand on the basic principles. The Toyota Production System is still being copied here (lean and JIT) and yes, Porsche did hire some Japanese consultants to assist. After visiting the Porsche Factory, I wasn't all that impressed with their inventory management or quality systems.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:39 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
Relax Benny boy and go take some of your medicine now.

I'd imagine lots of things Porsche has done in the past (old news) may get written about here, to some it's new and informative and to others not; this was actually current news as the story was just reported this month showing Porsche has accomplished this feat again.
But your initial post shows excitement as though you are providing us with breaking news:
Originally Posted by 500
Guess what car company has the highest profit margin per vehicle? Yup you got it...
Now had you mentioned that PAG has been the most profitable car company in the world for the last 8 yrs in a row, that might have been worth mentioning, but not surprising to us as though we had to "guess" which one, and certainly nothing to get excited over, speaking of needing medication.

Btw, I would appreciate it if you didn't call me names. You don't see me making fun of your username such as calling you Mr. 500 Vocabulary Words or Less.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:54 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 500
Relax Benny boy and go take some of your medicine now.

I'd imagine lots of things Porsche has done in the past (old news) may get written about here, to some it's new and informative and to others not; this was actually current news as the story was just reported this month showing Porsche has accomplished this feat again. Since owning one of the first 996's in the US and owning countless aircooled cars, believe me I've been well aware of Porsche's cost cutting etc. I'd also venture to say I've owned and had more experience with Porsche's than most here.

With respect to MB, yes they have been cutting the quality of their cars too, but have yet to make the highest margin per vehicle.
Buy a car from a company losing money like GM the next time and feel good that you beat the Robber Barons.

Your rant points out a fundimental flaw in the mind of many US Consumers;

You want a "sale".
You want the "best price"
You act in high dudgeon, hand to the dagger, if the person across from you makes a profit.

Truth is, that only profitable enterprises produce high quality goods and services on an on-going basis. At least that's been my experience.

As far as "cheap parts", this is my sixth 911, and ther is no question that it's the best performance 911 ever and the most comfortable as well so here's to profit.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:55 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche was never a high profit margin company and that's why the quality of build and parts of the aircooled car are missed by so very man
Was Porsche ever considered a reliable car? Seems to me growing up in the 80's that German cars had a reputation for being unreliable, and expensive to repair. Owning a 993, it is very expensive to repair. Mine has been pretty reliable but reading the 993 board, I'm bracing for all kinds of things to go wrong.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by OCBen
But your initial post shows excitement as though you are providing us with breaking news:Now had you mentioned that PAG has been the most profitable car company in the world for the last 8 yrs in a row, that might have been worth mentioning, but not surprising to us as though we had to "guess" which one, and certainly nothing to get excited over, speaking of needing medication.

Btw, I would appreciate it if you didn't call me names. You don't see me making fun of your username such as calling you Mr. 500 Vocabulary Words or Less.
Then don't refer to me or anyone else as "hiding under a rock". Just because something has occurred in the past doesn't mean if it happens again for another year or even more it's not news. When I said "guess which one" it should have been quite obvious to those who had been following this for the last several years and for those that hadn't, they too now know. Sometimes it seems you treat this forum like you're the only one reading it and just because you might not find certain information new or interesting doesn't mean someone else won't.

Last edited by 500; 04-03-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by allegretto
Buy a car from a company losing money like GM the next time and feel good that you beat the Robber Barons.

Your rant points out a fundimental flaw in the mind of many US Consumers;

You want a "sale".
You want the "best price"
You act in high dudgeon, hand to the dagger, if the person across from you makes a profit.

Truth is, that only profitable enterprises produce high quality goods and services on an on-going basis. At least that's been my experience.

As far as "cheap parts", this is my sixth 911, and ther is no question that it's the best performance 911 ever and the most comfortable as well so here's to profit.
Comparring GM to a company like Porsche is an apples to oranges comp. I agree the modern 911's are more comfortable and better performers than the aircooled cars and never said otherwise, they're just not made as well.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I think you mean water cooled!

While Dr. W. Edwards Deming had a huge impact on the quality (and Management) systems of Japan in the late '40s (hence the Deming Prize), the Japanese (and it really isn't the Japanese per say, but several Japanese Companies) have done many things to expand on the basic principles. The Toyota Production System is still being copied here (lean and JIT) and yes, Porsche did hire some Japanese consultants to assist. After visiting the Porsche Factory, I wasn't all that impressed with their inventory management or quality systems.
Yes I did mean watercooled...thanks!
Old 04-03-2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by texas911
Was Porsche ever considered a reliable car? Seems to me growing up in the 80's that German cars had a reputation for being unreliable, and expensive to repair. Owning a 993, it is very expensive to repair. Mine has been pretty reliable but reading the 993 board, I'm bracing for all kinds of things to go wrong.
Unfortunately many of those owners like to beat on the cars and use them as stop light to stop light "race cars" which they were never intended to be.

Most high performance German cars are expensive to maintain after the warranty expires...I loved my 993's and if you take good care of your's it should prove to be a great car.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:47 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 500
Then don't refer to me or anyone else as "hiding under a rock".
I didn't refer to you or make a declarative statement to that effect. I simply asked in the interrogative. If you can't tell the difference, then I apologize for trying to carrying on an intelligent conversation with you. My bad, guess I should have taken your initial post as a clue. ... Sorry.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:50 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Porsche profitability lies as much in their ability to unbundle a huge array of options, and charge ridiculous prices for them.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by OCBen
I didn't refer to you or make a declarative statement to that effect. I simply asked in the interrogative. If you can't tell the difference, then I apologize for trying to carrying on an intelligent conversation with you. My bad, guess I should have taken your initial post as a clue. ... Sorry.
You are a condecending *** and probably always will be; I guess I should have expected nothing less from you...Sorry. I have nothing further to say to you...please feel free to respond to yourself as I'm putting you on my ignore list...I'd appreciate it if you'd do the same.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by caf
I think Porsche profitability lies as much in their ability to unbundle a huge array of options, and charge ridiculous prices for them.
Good point.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:03 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 500
Comparring GM to a company like Porsche is an apples to oranges comp. I agree the modern 911's are more comfortable and better performers than the aircooled cars and never said otherwise, they're just not made as well.
Hmmmmmmm, apples to oranges? Why? In the context of our conversation I fail to appreciate why you say that. GM is hemorraghing Porsche is not.

Perhaps you wnat to buy Ferrari instead? Be my guest. Just make certain that you have a great relationship with the Service Manager at the dealership. You're gonna need that guy's good will.

Now, really, why are 993's "made better"?
Old 04-03-2006, 05:13 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 500
You are a condecending *** and probably always will be; I guess I should have expected nothing less from you...Sorry.
Now, now, newbie. That's no way to behave, resorting to swear words. You need to lighten up, and laugh at yourself and not get so easily offended. You need to grow thicker skin if you expect to hang with the big boys. I see that others have made similar or worse comments about your initial post, yet you singled me out for your retorts. Do I look like an easy target to you? ... My, my, you are a newbie, aren't you?

Word of advice, next time someone makes a negative comment about something you say, try not to get offended by it, or take it personally. We don't know who you are, so obviously we're only challenging the statements you make when we make such comments. Either defend them with logic and reason, or if they're indefensible just admit it and laugh it off.

I welcomed you to our forum in my initial post here, if you'll recall. Try not to be so offensive in your responses next time.

Quick Reply: $$$