Sponsored by:

OEM Aluminum Door Sills

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:41 AM
JC 911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Aluminum Door Sills

Has anyone installed the Porsche OEM aluminum door sills after they received their car? If so, do you have to remove the standard door sills that came with the car or do you have to overlay the aluminum ones on top of those?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:08 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

You have to remove the standard one before installing the new one. Porsche used double sided tape to "install" the sills and they're freaking hard to remove. It took me an hour to get the whole thing done...but now I would go for the illuminating one if you haven’t bought the regular aluminum yet.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:40 PM
jfraser
Instructor

THPorsche.....It only took you an hour!!!! I used so many toxic chemicals to get that cr@p off I was half expecting a Hazmat team to arrive....Do you think that the bonding strength of the double sided tape was a bit of an OVERKILL!!
Old 03-30-2006, 03:19 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jfraser
I used so many toxic chemicals to get that cr@p off I was half expecting a Hazmat team to arrive....
Did you try 3M Adhesive Remover? It has worked really well on everything else.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:43 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

THPorsche.....It only took you an hour!!!! I used so many toxic chemicals to get that cr@p off I was half expecting a Hazmat team to arrive....Do you think that the bonding strength of the double sided tape was a bit of an OVERKILL!!
At least they didn't use any epoxy/glue that could take out the paint.

I was lucky! Most of the tapes were on the sills and not on the car. To be honest I did not try to remove all the **** that was left on the car, just smooth and flat enough to put on the new sills
Old 03-30-2006, 06:10 PM
MMD
Banned

Use a hair dryer to heat them, don't plan on getting them off cleanly. Unless you have the patience of a saint, the removal process pretty much destroys them.

Aluminum? They're stainless steel, unless they're offering aluminum AND SS nowadays.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:57 PM
JC 911
Track Day

You're right, they are stainless steel. Has anyone tried Goo Gone?

With the hair dryer trick, do you first pull up the existing door sill and then just heat up the remaining adhesive? Then when they get all sticky just try to peel off what you can of the adhesive?

I thought this was going to be an easy project this weekend but I'm not so sure anymore.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:05 PM
jfraser
Instructor

I used

Heat, brute force, wd-40, isopropyl alcohol, & 3M adhesive remover....And I obviously have the patience of a saint, because I removed every last piece of the f%^$&ng stuff.....and whilst I won the battle, I lost the war because it was about a week before the sensitivity to my fingertips returned (I'm not kidding).....rubbing the tape trying to make it ball up....THPorsche you know what the secret is....you want as much of the double sided tape to come away with the sill as possible.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:24 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

... I lost the war because it was about a week before the sensitivity to my fingertips returned (I'm not kidding).....rubbing the tape trying to make it ball up....
Yeah, I forgot to mention the pain...

Originally Posted by JC 911
I thought this was going to be an easy project this weekend but I'm not so sure anymore.
Have fun, you will love the result
Old 03-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 279 Posts

I've done this before on a 993...it's a PITA. Use a plastic joint compound knife instead of your fingers. I found 3m adhesive remover worked better than goo gone.

Quick Reply: OEM Aluminum Door Sills